Thread: DDS Image in Conbuilder??

Question DDS Image in Conbuilder??

I tried to see the images of TrainSimulations CN Ruel Sub rolling stock in Conbuilder and did not show any of the dds images of each rolling stock. I am not sure if the problem is with my program or else. TSRE Consist Builder did show the dds images of each locomotive or freight cars from the folder of TrainSimulations. Anyone know if Conbuilder support this or not?

John

Conbuilder links to shape viewer for that function, and shape viewer does not support DDS

Thank you for your reply and now I know that shape viewer does not support DDS.

John

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    Conbuilder links to shape viewer for that function, and shape viewer does not support DDS
    So, just supposing, is there a viewer for dds files...and would it link to ConBuilder....Charles might know?
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

The TSRE5 shape viewer can display dds textures, but you cannot yet oven shape files from "outside". If you just want to look at the dds textures themselves, you could open them in GIMP...

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    So, just supposing, is there a viewer for dds files...and would it link to ConBuilder....Charles might know?
    It could not be used as Shape Viewer is w/o new code in ConBuilder. BUT if this DDS viewer could create JPG files then those files could be used by ConBuilder just as it uses JPG files created by Shape Viewer. Just like we had to do before there was a ConBuilder - Shape Viewer interface.

A "work around" would be to:
    Place the item in a Consist.
    Open the consist in Open Rails.
    Move OR's camera into position to view the item.
    Open Windows Snipping Tool.
    Set Snipping Tool's Mode to Rectangular Snip
    Capture the item in the OR window.
    Have Snipping Tool to Save the capture to the item's folder in your Trainset folder in JPG format with the filename the same as the filename of the ENG or WAG.
    Last edited by crstagg; 08-17-2019 at 02:00 PM.
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by crstagg View Post
    It could not be used as Shape Viewer is w/o new code in ConBuilder. BUT if this DDS viewer could create JPG files then those files could be used by ConBuilder just as it uses JPG files created by Shape Viewer. Just like we had to do before there was a ConBuilder - Shape Viewer interface.
    Thanks, Charles. I just answered my own question...i downloaded a simple DDS Viewer ( https://ddsviewer.com/ ) and it does not work with ConBuilder. It will save a DDS as a jpg. I understand what you're saying.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    Thanks, Charles. I just answered my own question...i downloaded a simple DDS Viewer ( https://ddsviewer.com/ ) and it does not work with ConBuilder. It will save a DDS as a jpg. I understand what you're saying.
    Just remembered what else would be required. The developer of the "ddsviewer" would have to share with Joe Smith the format & text necessary to have ddsviewer open the item that had been selected in ConBuilder as well as the same for saving the JPG file to the correct folder in the Trainset. The ConBuilder interface with Shape Viewer was accomplished because Paul Gausden shared that info Carlos Gomes and Joe Smith.
    Charles