Thread: Open Rails Autopilot & Older Activities

Default Open Rails Autopilot & Older Activities

Hello again, I have a question about OR and some older activities. I am using the newest experimental version U2019.08.08-1006.

I have noticed that the Activities on CGW only work properly when using Manual Operation, even Auto does not seem to trigger all the AI Trains and Autopilot does not trigger any. I know that there is a purpose for the Autopilot, but is there something in the works or can something be done in OR that will trigger the AI's in these older Routes and Activities?

I am asking only because the older Routes/Activities seem to be showing up and being re-released, plus some of us have these Routes sitting on a back-burner for whatever reason.

Not a big deal, but thought I would ask.

My guess is that the problem has nothing to do with Autopilot and more to do with the construction of the activities, or the timing of the AI traffic. Have you checked the log??? Good thing to do whenever you encounter a problem.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Hello, yes Gerry I checked the log. Nothing about the AI trains. Running the Dubuque - Chicago Activity in Manual mode produced every AI on time, more or less. In Autopilot the AI's did not even appear in the dispatch window. In Auto only some appeared but did not move, all had facing reds that would not change, at least the ones I tried.

I think you are right, the way the activity is written probably has a lot to do with how OR behaves. Like I said though, small issue running trains realistically again! LOL

This happened with a couple of older MLT routes/Acts as well. No worries!

Thank you

Hmmm...could be something with the signal script...not in my toolkit. Weird...those older routes had some strange brew sometimes.
    Keep checking the log, maybe something will turn up.

That's the nice thing about OR, you're not stuck, you can run the activity in manual-mode, keeping on the player path, and manually operating switches & signals for the player...bit trickier, but doable.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Signal systems on older MSTS-era routes did weird things to accomadate the many quirks of MSTS, so the scripts are a decent guess. I have yet to download the route, so I don't have them handy to check

One low-cost trial is to create an Openrails subfolder within the route folder, and to copy there sigcfg.dat and sigscr.dat. This way OR interprets the script in a slightly different manner, which should lead to less reds.