Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Ideas List / Development List

I'm a dedicated single-player since midway through V1, and the only thing I'd like to add is my request for putt-putts. Seriously! If Run8 is supposed to model trackage and businesses of the 1970's, why do we have a Ford F250 Hirail? I know this is content, so it might just be a Studio thing, but there might be some other thing required that could be included in V3. Speeders forever! Long live Fairmont Motors!

Quote Originally Posted by flaugher47165 View Post
    I'm a dedicated single-player since midway through V1, and the only thing I'd like to add is my request for putt-putts. Seriously! If Run8 is supposed to model trackage and businesses of the 1970's, why do we have a Ford F250 Hirail? I know this is content, so it might just be a Studio thing, but there might be some other thing required that could be included in V3. Speeders forever! Long live Fairmont Motors!
    I agree and I'd add that some rolling stock from the 70's era would be nice. All there is at the moment is the SD45-2 in the Santa Fe bookend and bicentennial schemes that don't fit in anywhere because all of the freight cars are much too modern to fit in the 1970s. How about a pre superliner Southwest Chief with SDP40Fs or even Warbonnet F units?

I would think some new, small regions would be easier to manage for the developers, and for us to run as users. Plus you can do a theme, like refinery operations, say Texas City and Galveston. Or you could do the stockyards in Kansas City or Chicago. As a young kid, I remember SO many stockcars full of cattle rolling through the Texas Panhandle. Don't know when the transition from live cattlecars to refers happened, but I'm guessing in the 70's. Of course there's always lots of rail around coal and other mines.

Having sent an inordinate amount of time in the truck sims recently (ATS and ETS2) how about this for a radical gameplay option - give us the ability to own and operate our own company along with an appropriate business model? Suddenly all those train movements and AI spawning no longer serves some random purpose but you are actually hauling cargo between nominated destinations to make money and build up your company. Start off on your own with a couple of knackered GP40's doing local runs then gradually expand your fleet and hire in more drivers to run more trains. So when you're on the congested single line between Cable and Bena and you realise Fred on that eastbound has a time sensitive load for Seligman, you drop yourself in the siding and give him priority. As he gets near Seligman you start looking on the order board for his next job.

The Run8 purists will probably pour scorn on the idea, but the singular lack of purpose behind it all is what stops me loading Run8 back up, let alone actually buying any more of the DLC.
    Vern.

Actually if they are prototypical they should welcome that idea, as do I. My son had a similar request as we enjoy ATS & ETS along with other train tycoon and survival games. As much as I LOVE ATS and even ETS (I don't think I have 2 but I haven't played it in a while being from North America) the 4:1 ratio for the maps grows very tiring for me. I LOVE 1:1 even if I don't always have time to do a full 1:1 route in one playing. This is why for me Run8 can be so relaxing in comparison especially on some of the less challenging routes.

RTS started off as a car forwarding software for V1 of Run8 but I never developed it further into V2. Recently I had a change of heart and started building up Barstow again with just 1 other user (since my server got nobody). Also Scott who had his own server had a similar concept built into people running on it managing their own company. For me with all do respect to Scott it was too open ended. But despite agreeing to disagree we run together once a week now in Barstow on Run8.

My son doesn't see the PURPOSE in just having waybills even those generated by RTS. He feels there has to be a financial incentive and I've said that's a bit more difficult. But where I told him I'm taking RTS would be more to that model but I need to get it a fully capable single player experience first with AI that can do anything.

So for now I use Run8 and is why I was hoping Run8 would have V3 and offer some new AI modes, new regions, etc. But now I'm just going ahead and doing my thing.

But I'm with you on why I lost my purpose in Run8 this year and RD sat dormant most of 2019. Just seeing trains run as good as they can in AI for meets is just glorified eye candy. Without true purpose behind it, I finally fell victim to years of running this and asking what am I doing the same thing over and over for?

Personally anything I develop in RTS will still be open ended enough so people can build up their own economy. Perhaps try one with democratic rules and capitalism, where another might try a more Soviet Republic workers and resources concept.

I'm with you on this, and I'm going to show my son this thread when he wakes up to get his opinion.

Thanks

Sean

Thanks for the support Sean! Yes it's strange in ATS to drive a truck from Bakersfield out past Seligman and it probably takes less than 10 minutes, compared to hours and hours in Run 8. I believe the US map is scaled at 20:1 in most of ATS so there is a lot of compression in what you see. Still great fun though.
    Vern.

20:1 really? Wow that was worse than I thought. I thought I came up with that figured based on how long a day was taking but perhaps my calculation was totally off there or I was thinking of something else. Still lots of fun when I want to be at the wheel for that long.

Thanks

Sean

Well I think the cities are built to a larger scale but the actual distance from city to city is compressed as noted, I read somewhere. Think Europe is at something like 18:1 and the UK at 14:1 (they couldn't fit in all our roundabouts otherwise ) in ETS2.
    Vern.