Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Ideas List / Development List

NSWR Main South Sydney to Albury, Bruce.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    NSWR Main South Sydney to Albury,.....
    That's what I thought, which means it would be part of my suggested Melbourne to Brisbane route.
    Albury is a non-event these days, Mike, because of the Standard Gauge line running all the way to Melbourne.
    But back in history it was a major, major "swapping" point, because of the change of gauge between NSW and Vic....as I'm sure you know.
    Now....it's just another stop for the inter-city passenger services.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Nice one Bruce, yes i knew Albury had lost it's importance as a change of gauge location.

I wonder if VR will ever convert completely to standard gauge.

Would be good with Class 422 & 442 to run on the route. Admittedly my fave NSWR diesel loco's.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

I wonder if VR will ever convert completely to standard gauge.
    Not in our lifetime, mate. The cost would be horrendous to do so state-wide.

Class 422 & 442 .......my fave NSWR diesel loco's.
    Include the newer 80 Class and I can't disagree with that choice.
    However, having spent many years living in the Blue Mts., I have a strong leaning towards the heavy electrics.....the 85 and 86 Classes.

To see these running on a well-produced R8 route between Lithgow and Sydney would be my idea of train-sim nirvana!!
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Would love to see Midwest development , We almost had the ex CNW mainline but don't know what happened to the developer, would love to help with getting this project, I guess Ill settle doing the ex CNW main for other sims...
    Todd
    Iowa Chicago and Eastern Mason City Sub

Yea there was a small group doing something thru was it Kearny. Lots of things needed but until they expand beyond the 5 main guys it will take time I guess. So until then one gets bored with the same freight cars and same power.
    Work Safe play hard

Yeah Class 80's are lovely looking loco's Bruce.

I even enjoy the lecky classes you mentioned. But over looked them as the Main South isn't electrified, buddy.

NSWR is my Australian railway of preference. But i wouldn't mind any route being created really to a good standard.

Very much off topic sorry boys. But i am surprised nothing has been done in TS20xx.

Mike.

Problem in TS20xx is that everything would have to be created from scratch. When I did my old route based on the Lithgow zigzags and the parallel main line, it essentially became a British route modelled in the Australian setting.

And it does seem residual Australian train simmers are either using Trainz or MSTS/OR.

For 3DTS to take on an Australian project, they would probably need to have some sort of local input. Ideal for their approach of course would be the heavy ore lines in WA, Mount Pilbara, Port Hedland etc.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    .....Ideal for their approach of course would be the heavy ore lines in WA, Mount Pilbara, Port Hedland etc.
    The downside with such a project, Vern, is that it would be a desert setting in a different country, with no towns between A and B and with only one type of freight.....iron ore.

It was a bit novel when I did "Robe River" for Trainz nearly 20 years ago but no way would I consider doing it today....too bloody boring!

I know where you're coming from Bruce... I would rather have a twisty hilly 20 or 30 mile route through the mountains than a long, flat straight of 200 miles (which to some extent Run8 is now once east of Barstow).
    Vern.