Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas List / Development List

Default Ideas List / Development List

Hi Guys

With some of the recent discussions regarding AI and features and with some people struggling to maintain interest in V2 and uncertain about the future of Run8 and lack of information regarding the development of V3 at the moment, I thought I would carefully go through the forum and compile requests and ideas for Run8 that have been talked about in the last 7+ months. The reason I have done this is because I got to thinking about the confirmed features from the Run8 Team for V3 and how it compared to the idea's and requests from forum members here.

First is the Ideas/Request list with some being highlighted that have already been added to RUN8 V2.

Ideas/Requests List:

AI hump control, AI Dispatcher, AI Locomotive Switchers, AI Scheduled / Configurable Timetable

AutoRacks and Reefers for Intermodal Trains ( V2 Patch 7 - 8/3/2019 )

Cajon third track/Keenbrook crossover etc (Added to current DLC or possible inclusion of Sub division with V3)

Dynamic Weather System

Improved Dispatcher Screens and Features

Improved Voice Communication

Pause Button - halt all train movement but still allow use of the dispatching system.

Placing AI locomotives or player locomotives in world with the option of automatically running engines.

Probability Sliders for Railroad Company locomotive selection etc

Railroad-Appropriate Names and Indications ( Terminology ) for signal aspects.

Small Regions that are manageable for single player and small multiplayer groups

Spawn Point Editor - New Spawn Points ( V2 Patch 8 - 22-5-2019 ) - Spawn points ask for permission before entering

Waybill/Freight Car Forwarding

World Editor ( No future plans to make one available )

And next the Development List

RUN8 V3 Development List:

AI Humper, AI Dispatcher, AI scheduled,

Dynamic Weather System,

Upgraded DS Screens

Three new regions, six new routes ( San Bernardino And Oak Creek/Arvin might be two of the six routes, leaving four in development or could include as well the upcoming Fitzgerald Sub route from Hyrail Simulations )

Turntables, Transfer Tables, Working Draw Bridges

More Train sets

Alcos, GE Dash9s, MP15 or SW1200

As you can see from looking at the Ideas/Requests List and comparing it to the Run8 Development List the biggest issues effecting Run8 users whether they be single player or multiplayer is

1:AI - Improved Spawning, Dispatcher, Scheduled.
    2:New Regions/World Size - Manageable size world for both single players and multi-players, whether that be thru new small regions or a few more spawn points etc for the current various Sub divisions available etc.

The development list shows that AI is a important part of focus for Run8 v3 and if most of the requested AI upgrades are implemented, we should see considerable improvements with how and when trains appear on routes and the management of those trains.
    The World Size issue of Regions/Routes and sub divisions etc and bringing them under manageable control is I think going to be the most interesting in seeing what the Run8 team have planned for the future.
    I'm only speculating here, but I suspect along with the release of Run8V3 that a new short route in a new region will be considered more desirable at this point than any further sub divisions for California and I wonder if there is any appetite left from a consumer/buyer perspective to expand on the massive California region at the moment with another sub division DLC.
    If there is going to be any further additions to California and given how well received the BNSF Bakersfield Sub has been then the UP Fresno Sub, along with any additional operation for SJVR included in the Subdivision DLC should be just as popular, and maybe adding Trona Railways as well to complete operations in the Kern County area.
    I have a feeling that expanding further east of Seligman or even north of Fresno may not be very popular among the majority of regular Run8 fans.
    So basically fill in the missing pieces in and around Mojave, Bakersfield, and may be some of Los Angeles etc and start concentrating on smaller high detailed regions/routes that are manageable for small servers/single players.

Any way I will stop here for now , but I just wanted to as a reminder or refresher on the various subjects that have been discussed, share the list and some of my own thoughts on where I think Run8 stands at the moment and what we might have to look forward too.

Cheers

James

If the AI and dispatcher system is greatly improved. Then the size of the route, map, region doesn't really matter for me personally.

Fully automated non player operations are what is needed. Let the player get on with what he is doing, after an initial setup phase.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

That is a great post. As fall is right around the corner I'm starting to gage what's next for me personally. For me as real as it gets also means operations. So though AI dispatching is certainly welcome, either going to smaller regions or having more automation in the switching process is necessary to keep up. There simply isn't enough humans 24/7 who can keep up with the real world demand of freight movements on any of the current regions. Even the biggest servers can't do this, and the smaller servers and single players don't stand a chance at the moment.

I would add to the list unless I missed it, having a schedule system similar to TD3 or screenshots posted prior to V2 arrival. You set-up the symbols, the call times, and variance percentage. The schedule with variance to make it interesting then spawns them in.

Would also love to see more communication to everyone how the team is doing. This is a great topic and well written.

Thanks

Sean

As per the above and, without courting controversy, a pricing review particularly on some of the older content (or an occasional sale!).
    Vern.

There are some things I wouldn't download for free right now to be honest I already have too much content that don't get me wrong I've got multiple times value over. I've been trying to scrounge up the last ideas of MP. Single player I'm sorry for me just doesn't get enough done. But other than a couple of fellow virtual friends, people don't seem to be interested in operations. I guess it's a swear word in model railroading as well.

I'll try hosting later this evening and perhaps Sunday and Monday. Otherwise I might finally unplug that raildriver that barely has been used at all this year.

Again this is a very good list and I'd be curious where the team is at these days.

Thanks

Sean

James....
    A well-thought-out post. Nicely done and presented.
    If v3 hasn't been locked in then perhaps the R8 team can give some thought to what you've assembled.

As far as I'm concerned as soon as v3 is offered for sale, irrespective of what it contains, I'll be in the queue with Mastercard in hand.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Definitely not me. No matter how many times I say this is the best train simulator on the planet. Minimum for me on that list is likely AI dispatching. Though smaller regions is certainly worth a DLC purchase to try on it's own. The timetable and/or AI switching would certainly be icing on the cake and I'd purchase it right away. Other stuff I can take it or leave it. Some place between minimum and the icing would be the purchase. The AI dispatching doesn't have to be as efficient as a human either. Just smart enough not to get pickled constantly or cause head ons like MSTS used to in the day.

Thanks

Sean

Nope i am not a fanbois either. The AI has to be self sufficient before i even think about buying another version.

It is not realistic to have to do 10 other jobs, as well as driving at the same time.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    .....It is not realistic to have to do 10 other jobs, as well as driving at the same time.....
    LOL!!
    Then you've never been the parent of several young children, Mike!
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorSean View Post
    .....Some place between minimum and the icing would be the purchase.....
    Well, isn't that where every purchaser would be?!