Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10Setup

Default Windows 10Setup

Hi, Been away from Train simulator a good while. I know there is a special way you have to install train simulator on windows 10. I will be running train simulator on a new windows 10 laptop. I cannot remember the process, could someone send me the link to do this. I know there is a webpage that explains it. Would appreciate it very much. thanks

David

http://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/i...g_msts_w7.html

Install instructions also applies to WIN10.
    After you've got it installed, please take a look here >>> http://openrails.org/download/program/
    You can get a free introductory route from Train Simulations ( formerly SLI ) from here >>> https://www.trainsimulations.net/
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

ok, I went to steam4me website, and followed the windows 10 installation instructions. I ran the installation to C:1MSTS folder. When I tried to start the program the first time all I get is a black screen and nothing else.

I did some further research, and found that Several of the folders from the installation disk did not download for some reason to my c: 1MSTS. So I imagine now I will have to uninstall everything, and start over again. Unless there is something else I can do. Any ideas. Thanks

If your laptop has a Nvidia Optimus graphics (Nvidia and Intel), try to switch the graphics used from Nvidia to Intel. That helped in my case.

Quote Originally Posted by mmax45581 View Post
    If your laptop has a Nvidia Optimus graphics (Nvidia and Intel), try to switch the graphics used from Nvidia to Intel. That helped in my case.
    The graphics card is not the problem. I went and looked at the c:1MSTS folder, and noticed alot of the folders Did not download from the installation disk to the 1MSTS folder.Why I don't know. So I would think that is the problem. So I guess I need to uninstall everything and start over again right.

I just tried to reinstall Train simulator, and it I got this error, never seen it before, "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or,if one already is installed create an association in the Default Apps setting page.

Use Open Rails.... Much better than the old, clunky MSTS... More people are using OR to run its routes...
    Dave Edwards

Will the MSTS routes run on open rails?
    Last edited by Maryland50+; 09-01-2019 at 09:57 AM.

From the Open Rails webpage:
    Our project provides a train simulator for the largest collection of digital content in the world - routes, rolling stock and activities - initially developed for Microsoft's Train Simulator product.

Microsoft Train Simulator, which was launched in 2001, was very successful but Microsoft had several false starts at developing it further and these came to an end in 2009. However, Microsoft Train Simulator was an open platform and a host of content both free and commercial has been developed for it.

Open Rails is a successor to Microsoft Train Simulator and runs the trains on routes built for Microsoft Train Simulator. However, there are some differences worth discussing.

Open Rails uses more recent technology so it can take advantage of modern graphics processors. This leads to higher frame rates, more colors and detail, larger displays and smoother motion.