Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 10Setup

Thanks, for the tip. I got open rails installed ok. Had to install a couple of files, but no problem. Still have not figured out why MSTS is getting that error I listed above. But was surprised that the locomotives that was installed in MSTS, even though MSTS is not installed. I was able to use them in Open Rails.So my question is this. Can I install routes, and more locomotives from MSTS into my C:1MSTS , and will they work in Open Rails.

Quote Originally Posted by Maryland50+ View Post
    Still have not figured out why MSTS is getting that error I listed above.
    It sounds like your Win10 was expecting it to be an app store type of app. As to why, you will likely never know that answer. MSTS was built for Win95 and XP. As the operating systems developed further, the results get more spotty and non-universal in terms of success in getting MSTS to load. Some users adamantly report success on Win10, others not so much. Troubleshooting is no longer worth the fight, not when a modern replacement built for modern OSes exists.

Yes, you can still install additional routes and rolling stock assets to the 1MSTS directory. But you are not strictly limited to that location, either. As explained in the Open Rails manual, you can have multiple Open Rails installations, structured any way you want.

One caveat is the new routes from TrainSimulations that are strictly built for Open Rails (including the free one). These cannot go into the 1MSTS folder location as they use a different type of texture format, and they cannot mix with older MSTS routes which generally would populate your 1MSTS folder. You must establish a dedicated Open Rails installation for their routes (the installers explain that and walk you through that)

The only other caveat is never place the 1MSTS or other directories containing the routes and locomotives inside the folder containing the Open Rails executables. Since Open Rails has an automatic update process (something MSTS never had) the updater has a tendency to clean up inside the Open Rails executables folder, which would delete any "good stuff" you had in there.

A lot to take in, but the graphics are so much better. I will read the Manuel, about the new train simulatorations route to see which folder to place those routes. Open Rails seems so much better. Thanks to all for the comments.

Well, we didn't learn it in a day either, so pace yourself accordingly.

There are only 3 routes from trainsimulations built around the new texture format, the free one (Scenic Sub for Open Rails), Seligman for Open Rails, and Ruel Sub for Open Rails. They recommend naming the installation "Trainsimulations" so use that.

The other older routes they sell are for MSTS versions and those would be placed in the 1MSTS folder. Same goes for any routes downloaded from the library here.

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    Well, we didn't learn it in a day either, so pace yourself accordingly.

Amen, to that. To be sure, there's a learning curve...but there is also a good manual...a searchable pdf, plenty of threads about all sorts of stuff "OR" and help in the forum. One thing...use the OR log to diagnose problems.

Manual section: 7.19 OpenRailsLog.txt Log file
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Yes, I am learning about OR. So far it's great. Two things though, I tried to go to the Train Simulation website, and could not get in. Got a warning not safe. Wanted to check out the few routes that they have available. Also I am going thru the manual, I don't see any switch's on the tracks yet and trying to see if there is something in OR that needs to be turned on to switch the track.

In open rails you need to press control M to go into manual mode to throw switches. Clicking one of the function keys (now I'm not in game I can't remember!) brings up the switch controls.
    Christopher

G throws the switch in front of you, Shift+G throws the one behind you. F8 brings up the switching aid. I'm not sure which key you have to press, but I think Shift+left clicking on a switch throws it too.

Thanks, I will check these out. Like open rails a lot better than train sim.