Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RF&P upgrade and extension

Default RF&P upgrade and extension

I'm working on upgrading my Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac MSTS route. I relaid nearly all the track, most of which was rough, from Washington to Fredericksburg. I also touched up the scenery and created some new structures: the Purina tower at Fredericksburg, a generic VRE station, the Washington Masonic Memorial at Alexandria, and a handful of reasonable facsimiles of Metro stations. Some of these can be seen on my website at

http://www.stevedunham.50megs.com/rfp_msts_pix.html

Most of the pictures there are old, but you can tell the new ones by the structures I mentioned. I plan to build some more notable structures for the route: the Quantico, Doswell, and Ashland stations.

Still, this is an upgrade of a 2004 route. I'm still using my 11-year-old computer for route building, so the structures, for example, have a low polygon count. The route won't meet 2020 train simulation standards, but I think it will be a tolerably good representation of the entire RF&P, still set in 2002, because I have track charts for that year.

The work so far took about 14 months. Now I'm building south from Fredericksburg and have finished about two miles of track and scenery. I will probably retire next year, so maybe the route will be finished in 2020 as well.
    Steve Dunham
    Alexandria, VA
    www.stevedunham.50megs.com

Good to hear you're still working it Steve. One of my favorite routes and also local to me. Can't wait to see the entire RF&P from Richmond to Washington complete.

Thanks
    Steve Burr, PE - Clinton, MD
    Southern Serves the South

Looking forward to it! Even with it's age in mind, it's still a favorite route of mine to run to this day!

I look forward to any route from Northern Virginia. During the 70's I used to live in Manassas when it was just a small town.

Fred

One of the first routes I downloaded and ran in MSTS. I'd enjoy seeing a newer, modified/upgraded version. Thanks very much!
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

That is great that you are doing the extention for the RF&P. I remember you telling me that when I asked for permission to do a release version of a more moderned aged Blue Comet route that you made for the library here.

Nice to know that I will be running a longer Auto-Train sometime in the near future
    - Mark -

Great to hear. I've been working on a Staples Mill station but now this gives me the motivation to finish it. Look forward to the new upgrades.
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic75077_5.gif
    Cory Duguid
    US NAVY

Steve, I too am looking forward to this. I know it is going to be a good one.

Speaking of motivation, BLWZT has an "Early CSX" set about 75% done. There are some other projects ahead in the line, but maybe this route needs this set . . .

By the way, I have RF&P era track charts if you ever feel like backdating it.

Christopher

Cory, would you mind making the Staples Mill Rd station with a low polygon count? The VRE station I made wouldn't load on my computer. Too many polygons, it turned out (4,834), even with two-dimensional railings.

Chris, thanks for the offer of track charts. After the RF&P, the next route I want to work on is my Blue Comet Lines, extending it to Allentown and Newark. Then maybe the Ma & Pa, but that would be years from now.
    Steve Dunham
    Alexandria, VA
    www.stevedunham.50megs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Literalman View Post
    Cory, would you mind making the Staples Mill Rd station with a low polygon count? The VRE station I made wouldn't load on my computer. Too many polygons, it turned out (4,834), even with two-dimensional railings.

Chris, thanks for the offer of track charts. After the RF&P, the next route I want to work on is my Blue Comet Lines, extending it to Allentown and Newark. Then maybe the Ma & Pa, but that would be years from now.
    I think that can be done.
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic75077_5.gif
    Cory Duguid
    US NAVY