Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: RF&P upgrade and extension

Great work on the extension so far. I have to say this and your W&OD are some of my favorite routes to run. Keep up the outstanding work and looking forward to more updates.
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic75077_5.gif
    Cory Duguid
    US NAVY

Well done Steve. I lived in Alexandria for some 15 years, 6/65 to 11/80. Lived first at a high rise on Rt. 1, I believe it was
    6040 Richmond highway. Then bought a house in Springfield and then after the wife declared she was done with me and
    being a railroad widow, she moved back to Tennessee and I moved back to Richmond highway. I was with the SR test
    department which in those days was on the NW corner of Henry & Wilkes sts. You have captured the essence of all the
    locations very well. I have the original route, so I look forward to this improved version.

landnrailroader
    (J. H. Sullivan)

One of the neat things about this route is that the author created correct mileposts for the
    Southern Railway, which he gave me permission to use on some of my routes under
    construction. He also created signal scripts that use the correct SR signal rules. There
    are two distinct eras of SR signals. The era, prior to perhaps 2000, when either type D
    color lights or searchlights were correct, depending on specific route, and signal bridges
    were created from old freight car center sills (and showed it). After that the newer
    style signals & signal bridges began to appear.

Landnrailroad
    (J. H. Sullivan)

Steve,

It would be nice to see some screen shots of the route.

Fred

Default screen shots online

Fred, screen shots are on my website at http://www.stevedunham.50megs.com/rfp_msts_pix.html.
    Steve Dunham
    Alexandria, VA
    www.stevedunham.50megs.com

Shots look great! As someone who's ridden this route many a time via 79/80, I look forward to this and thank you a bunch!

Just Wow! I was working slowly redoing some of the scenic details on this route, now it seems it is all done! Sort of. Great work on a really nice route!

You said you were reaching out Richmond. Saw that you included Amtrak's Staples Mill. How about Main St.? Just curious.
    Redefined for better content craftsmanship.

As the route goes through Ashland VA, is it possible to produce an 'auto on the tracks' hazard?

Sorry, I've been watching too much 'Virtual Railfan' footage from the camera there.......
    onen hag oll!

Thanks for the compliments. I'm not going to extend the route to Main Street Station. I thought about it, but it would be five or six miles of urban scenery for not much action, and Main Street Station itself is such a complicated structure, I doubt that my 2008 computer could handle it. Ashland hazards! One day a few years ago, I was down there waiting for a train, and I saw three families pose their tots for pictures on the tracks. I took a few pictures myself and sent them to CSX and asked them to police the area better and speak to the caretaker at the visitor center-station. CSX did not acknowledge my message. See something, say something? Is anybody even listening if you say something? If somebody makes an auto-on-the tracks hazard, I could include it, but I'm almost done creating new things for this route, I think, and am eager to complete it.
    Steve Dunham
    Alexandria, VA
    www.stevedunham.50megs.com