Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TSRE Activity Editor Question #2

Thx for the detailed help. Will give it a try first thing tomorrow am. Your help is much appreciated. h

Good Morning All: So this morning, I d/l the most current 64 bit version of TSRE5 (v0.69752) & installed it on my pc. Deleted the previous shortcut (v0.6974) & placed new shortcut on the desktop that matches up w/the 0.69752 version of the app. Opened the sim in OR in Explore Route mode & it worked fine. Opened the AE, located an activity created yesterday & it too opened and functioned properly in OR. Went back into AE, changed start point to another location on the same route, reopened the route in OR, & it too worked fine. Added a loose consist @ that starting location, & the sim crashed immediately back to the desktop as it has b/f.
    Went back into the AE & removed the loose consist, saved, & relaunched the sim in OR. Crashed immediately. I'm attaching a copy of the OR log in case someone can shine some light on what is going on here. As I now apparently have the most current version of TSRE5 & the executable for both the app & the shortcut match up, I'm wondering if the problem might lie somewhere in the Consist Editor. Just a thought. Any other thoughts or suggestions as to next steps would be most welcome. Hawk
    Attached Files Attached Files

One add'l bit of information I have just discovered. Once the sim has crashed from the add'n of the loose consists, the entire route is corrupted to the point that it is unusable, even in Explore Route mode. To be able to use the route again, in any capacity, I have to delete the route entirely & reinstall from a b/u copy. I do not know what this means other than something relating to the add'n of a loose consist seems to corrupt the route to the point that it is inoperable. h

This was part of the concern raised when everyone was discussing the creation of an activity editor and whether that should have been freestanding apart from the route editor. Nothing done in an activity editor should be altering the TDB in any way, but there were grand plans and big dreams (running before learning to walk style) to have an AE that was capable of deleting track sections to create derailment dioramas or trackwork zone dioramas as part of activity creation.

I have no idea what is changing that requires you to go back to a backup copy, but in general anything related to the TSRE shape viewer, consist editor or activity creator should not be touching, updating or writing to the TDB, so unless you are actually working on route editing things, that toggle for writeTDB = false should always be in settings.txt

If one is not attentive it is possible, while in the AE mode, to choose some other window or tool and thus exit from the AE...now you are operating in the RE and not aware of it....there appears to be no safety interlocks or user warning that you are exiting the AE, other than asking if you want to save your changes....there might be more, but not being all that knowledgeable about the RE portion of TSRE, I couldn't comment on them...and I'm not all that confident that I'm not missing something...the AE being kind of a "black-hole" when it comes to detailed operating instructions...other than pete willard's good work.

I have always wanted the AE to be separate from the RE...something like the CE. The AE could use the same display as the RE...but the active tools would be limited to those for making and editing activities...there might be some overlap with the RE portion, but nothing that changed the route would be actively displayed. I hope I'm clear enough about describing what I mean.

geepster post accurately sums up the developmental history...
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

You didn't attach the OR log, but the TSRE5 log instead. The OR log should be the OpenrailsLog.txt file on your desktop; if it isn't there, you need to check the option 'Logging' on the Open Rails main menu screen.
    And from the TSRE5 log you provided it still seems that TSRE5 doesn't recognise its config files... as you placed the executable on your desktop, try not to start TSRE5 with the shortcut, but directly start the TSRE5 file you downloaded. Check the settings.txt so that writeTDBenabled is definitely set to false.

OR

Check the preferences for the shortcut. There is an option that sets a different working directory for the application. In the textbox, ensure that the path points to the folder your TSRE5 executable is located. Check that writeTDBenabled is false and uncommented. Try again.

When I wrote "writeTDBenabled" I meant "writeTDB", obviously. Sorry.

Sorry for the delayed response to your notes today. Have just returned home & read the responses. What I have done is the following:
    1- In the Setting.txt file, changed the "writeEnaabled" line to = false; previous setting = true
    2- In same Settings.txt file, changed "writeTDB" line to = false; previously setting = true

In making the above-mentioned changes, I discovered that I have 2 Settings.txt files residing on my desktop. One is the actual txt file & the other is a shortcut to a txt file. Content of the 2 files is different & I am attaching both to this reply. Both are located @ the same location on the C drive. The shortcut apparently was created earlier today when I d/l & installed the newer version of TSRE5 as it shows v0.69752 under the General tab. While I am certainly not an expert, I cannot imagine that this is not a problem.

Also, when I open the txt file of the newer version, at the top, of the text, it shows 2 different mini routes in the gameRoot line, and a different route in the routeName line. The route I have been working on and have been having the trouble with is not located in either of the mini routes designated and is not Marias Pass 5 as indicated in the routeName line. I am attaching both files to better explain what I am talking about as well as the cerecent.txt & log.txt files that are are from the updated v0.69752 version. I am also attaching the most recent Open Rails log file that I thought I included in my earlier note.

One further observation. When I installed both TSRE5 & the Consist Editor, both programs self-installed on my C drive. All of my mini routes reside on a separate D drive. From what I had read, it did not matter where TSRE resided on the pc and to date, I have had zero performance issues w/either the sim or CE. This problem only began when I decided to start using the AE function in TSRE instead of the MSTS AE program.

Thanks to all once again for your indulgence and help. Hawkcerecent.txtOpenRailsLog.txtsettings.txt-1.txtv0.69752)settings.txtlog.txt

Okay.
    This is strange.
    Try to delete all files related to TSRE5 and do a clean reinstall, be careful to delete all shortcuts.
    Then set writeTDB = false again. You can let the program ignore the routeName and gameRoot settings by placing # before it.
    I looked at the OpenRails log and it seems that the global tsection.dat isn't compatible with the route or misses tracks used in this route, so TSRE5 screwed around with the track database. OpenRails errors because there exist signals which are linked to nonexistent track nodes, so you'll probably have to restore the route before you proceed (backup or clean reinstall).

OK. Thx. Will do a complete deletion & reinstall of TSRE5 & all shortcuts. That should not be a problem. I actually did a complete new d/l & install of the route(Cajon Pass 4) last night on 2 separate pc's. Ran it w/no problems on both. Then opened the route in MSTS AE, added a couple of loose consists, & ran it again. Again, no problems. So. I am confident that the route is functioning properly.

Once I get a new copy of TSRE5 installed & the text settings modified, I will re-run the route to make sure that all is still ok, then add a loose consist & see what happens. What you are saying about the compatibility of the tsection.dat makes sense b/c the error message that results from crashes always relates to the TDB. Any thoughts as to how this incompatibility might have occurred? Is it something that I might have done or is it an issue between OR and the AE component of TSRE5? If the latter, I am surprised b/c I did not think there was any connection between AE & the TDB. I have made modifications to the route in RE related to terrain textures & added numerous objects (mainly vegitation) @ various locations on the route, but nothing that sould impact the TDB.

So. Thank you once again for your help. Will report back once I have made the above-mentioned changes. Hawk