Thread: Railfanning the Orin Line (ACT I - The Story of Simulation)

Red face Railfanning the Orin Line (ACT I - The Story of Simulation)

This - my fellow railfans and foamers - is the BNSF Powder River Division, home to North America's largest coal-hauling operation. If I had a story to tell - well, you should experience this story sooner rather than later.

I was standing trackside a half-mile from the Alliance Yard in downtown Alliance, Nebraska, when all of a sudden I caught a pair of FerroMex EMD SD70ACe diesels pulling a few loads of scrap on a MOW train to Hemingford on the Edgemont Subdivision. This was a sight-for-sore-eyes when you would normally catch a pair of BNSF GEVO ES44AC locomotives leading.

Cool that must of been the catch of the day normally you don't see foreign power out on the Powder river basin line

So back to where I started just east of Alliance, Nebraska. FerroMex #4009 was my engine to board and get the all-clear to proceed on the Edgemont Sub after the yard...

Normally, I'd be running a coal train with these but today was a special day. Today was the day that FXE #4009 and #4011 would get a break from hauling heavy loads since they're low on fuel. They've got the easy task of doing a local job to Hemingford and back.

[/QUOTE]

WITH OR WITHOUT FUEL, IT'S GREAT TO ROUND THEM.
    Chimbica Dash8

After I got a call stating Fred was leaving Donkey Creek Yard for the mines during a bout of severe weather at the throttle of BNSF EMD SD70MAC #9647 (dubbed by railfans and foamers as the "Vomit Bonnet"), I called my buddy up and said, "Hey, man, the Vomit Bonnet is rounding the curves on the Orin!" This is what he witnessed in the severe thunderstorm!