Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i want to Build a Route i have A Route In Line

Exclamation i want to Build a Route i have A Route In Line

i want to build a Route but idk if i want to use the MSTS Editors and Tools but thats CHocked Full of Errors atm Route: Chicago Line RR: NS Locations: Chicago,IL to Cleveland,OH Major Yards: NS Burns Harbor Yard, NS Yard in Elkhart,Indiana, Other Yards CSX Intermoldel Termnal Cleveland,OH This Route will Stretch from Chicago to Cleveland,OH if someone wants to Help me with the Route Becuase i dont want to mess it up

Locomotives in mind C44-9Ws 8-40CWs SD70ACU 3 Sets of 3 SD70ACC 4 Sets of 4 CSX's ST70AH's 5 sets of 4

Rolling Stock: Double Stacks with In Real Life Repaints Gondollas EJ&E JTIX Scrap Gons ADMX Taink Cars Catalist Boxcars Atleast 5 Sets of 16 Autoracks CPAA CP RR SOO BNSF SOU UP

This ROute Stretches 344 Miles From Chicago to Cleveland Ohio Double Track and Single Track
    Last edited by Boat23; 08-28-2019 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Needed to add Missing Info

I am interested in the NS Chicago mainline piece of this route, for sure.
    I think you need to reel in your scope. Since you have never built a route before, maybe shrink your mileage. You can always extend it as a second phase.
    No idea what you are trying to convey about the RE, but if you are wary of using it for your project, learn (and learn means read the documentation and posts on this and other forums), and study up on TSRE. Then, go slow, with plenty of backing up.
    Route building takes time and dedication - not just the building part, but the learning how to build it part.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Could Just do the First Leag CHicago to ELkhart,Indiana

Hey Boat,

I worked the past 2 years on the PRR Eastv2 upgrade and used the new TSRE5 editor for all the work.
    It was a pleasure working with an editor that does everything a builder needs. BUT.....you need to do a couple of important things before you start a route:
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/forumd...s-Route-Editor
    1. Install TSRE
    2. Study all available documentation for the editor then build a small single tile route where you can practice. Skip this step at your peril!
    3. All the while you're gathering information on your planned route. Google is your friend here,
    Plan on spending at least a year building. Track is easy. Scenery is boringly hard! I'd suggest a little track and then fully detail scenery for that section. Then a little more track and so on. Prevents burnout. YMMV.

regards,

The editor is now stable and would be perfect for your needs.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

If track charts are available, by all means get them. I would suspect that charts are
    available for the line mentioned. Check the paper work parts of www.railfandepot.com.
    Track charts there are in .pdf file format and very well done. Typically a chart file will
    cost you $9.99 if you down load it and the site accepts paypal as a means of payment.
    I have obtained a half dozen or so charts from there. You can also get charts from the
    various railroad historical groups, Typically a bit more expensive for non-members and
    quality may not be as good since they have been scanned by volunteers with home quality
    equipment.

I decided to add to Simon Van de Laak's Virginian route and I was able to get all the charts
    I needed at the time from an anonymous source for $free$ but I could have got them from
    the mentioned site as well. I used Google Earth to digitize the route and then I located very
    carefully every important detail and keyed in the coordinates for the .mkr file. Tedious, yes,
    and I probably took 3 months of spare time before I was ready to lay track & roads. I am not
    very good at detailing, so I expect to release routes track/roads only if specifically asked for
    such, otherwise with minimum detail so others can flesh them out as desired.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Hey Boat,

I worked the past 2 years on the PRR Eastv2 upgrade and used the new TSRE5 editor for all the work.
    It was a pleasure working with an editor that does everything a builder needs. BUT.....you need to do a couple of important things before you start a route:
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/forumd...s-Route-Editor
    1. Install TSRE
    2. Study all available documentation for the editor then build a small single tile route where you can practice. Skip this step at your peril!
    3. All the while you're gathering information on your planned route. Google is your friend here,
    Plan on spending at least a year building. Track is easy. Scenery is boringly hard! I'd suggest a little track and then fully detail scenery for that section. Then a little more track and so on. Prevents burnout. YMMV.

regards,

The editor is now stable and would be perfect for your needs.
    Well i Cant Do the Route Now Scince i have School soo Can you Start the ROute

i Can do the Load.ace i Can Pick a SD70ACe #1071 for the Pic and Get the NS Logo

Yes, TSRE is the way to go. Much less errors and stress than MSTS.

For trackcharts you should track down the Contrail ZTS maps which are large scale details of industry sidings. Most are available free at Multimodalways.org Others available from nmro or railan depot.

There is lots of information on route building here and we will help (as you can see).

Start small is good advice. Another thing Dave Nelson always says is to start in the middle of the route so you could extend in any direction. As you get bored in one direction, you can switch to the other. Doing scenery at the same time as track is good advice.

Christopher

i got stressted out from the MSTS One so i can try to Do the TSRE

Being 80 years old, and with lots of experience with MSRE, I only do a few things with
    TSRE, and I only have 8 potential routes that I have not started laying track for yet
    and may never get to them. Although health is good, once you get to 80 there is only
    one thing for sure - there is more time in the rear window than in the windshield.
    There do not seem to be much interest in detailing routes by anyone, so I will plod on
    and produce them with minimal detail and give permission on release for others to do
    as they wish. One thing I like about Bob Wirth's BNSF routes is that he did them with
    minimal detail, but nearly perfect track, and anyone that wishes can take them further.
    The only thing I would do different is to complete the route except for linked items and
    keep a backup copy like that. Then if someone wants to further detail a route I can send
    them a "clean" version if they want, otherwise it is often necessary to delete the linked
    items before you can do anything on a tile.

J. H. Sullivan

Quote Originally Posted by landnrailroader View Post
    Being 80 years old, and with lots of experience with MSRE, I only do a few things with
    TSRE, and I only have 8 potential routes that I have not started laying track for yet
    and may never get to them. Although health is good, once you get to 80 there is only
    one thing for sure - there is more time in the rear window than in the windshield.
    There do not seem to be much interest in detailing routes by anyone, so I will plod on
    and produce them with minimal detail and give permission on release for others to do
    as they wish. One thing I like about Bob Wirth's BNSF routes is that he did them with
    minimal detail, but nearly perfect track, and anyone that wishes can take them further.
    The only thing I would do different is to complete the route except for linked items and
    keep a backup copy like that. Then if someone wants to further detail a route I can send
    them a "clean" version if they want, otherwise it is often necessary to delete the linked
    items before you can do anything on a tile.

J. H. Sullivan

I Have All the Charts + the Kzoo GDELK Grand Rapids to Elkhart,Indiana