Thread: New/Old Guy...Back in the Cab...

Default New/Old Guy...Back in the Cab...

I like to re-introduce myself. My name is Barry LeBoeuf, (call sign Amtrak115) and I play with trains. I'm a model Railroader, (HO Scale), Model Aircraft builder (mostly 1/48 scale), Christmas light enthusiast (xlights), Model Car builder, and railfan. (my wife says I have too many hobby's...maybe so...) I got into MSTS when it first came out. Found trainsim and started downloading stuff. Collected routes, engines, other equipment. Bought a few payware routes. I was a presale buyer of FPM's Pacific Surfliner. I may have bought a 3dtrains's route or two...Can't remember (happens when you get older). I installed Open Rails back in 2012...(wasn't impressed at the time). Lost interest when MS decided to abandon ship (They also did the same to the Flight Sim community). At the time Open Rails was the only game in town and it wasn't very good.... Railworks, TSW, Trainz, Run8..others came along, some I bought, some i just looked at, All seemed to be to "gamelike" or emphasized "multi-player" which in my mind..was "gamelike". So I put it away.....

Around about 2012, I reloaded MSTS and Open Rails...and had a look see....not much had changed.

Recently I downloaded the latest stable release (stable..relatively speaking) of Open Rails. and it has stimulated my interest again. Since I had installed MSTS in 2012, I still had the installation on my computer, however the CD's are "in a box somewhere". We've moved several times so some of my stuff is still in boxes...that I haven't unpacked. but I still had my archive of downloaded Trainsim stuff which included the Presale release of the FPM Surfliner trainsets.

I had loaded NECv4 and Surfliner 2.3 and a couple of other routes, and I decided to play with some of the settings on Open Rails, when Disaster struck. Something I had clicked or ran had deleted all the contents of all the folders in my Open Rails directory.....About this time Vince released his "PRR Eastern Region v2" as a mini route. So I downloaded that and looked into mini routes. I've now set up a new directory structure ORTS with just routes in them configured as regional mini routes. I have now reloaded into mini-route "Pacific Surfliner" the v2.3 of the Surfliner. The NEC, mini-route contains Vince's PRR Eastern V2 which is more entertaining to run than Vince's old NEC-v4. I've installed the Florida Funnel (Danny Harmon's youtube channel "Distant Signals" inspired that one.

So I've gotten back into this Virtual Railfanning hobby......One of the things I noticed..is that the conversations on the forums are eerily similar to the ones back when MSTS was rumored to be ending...People were complaining about the level of play in the current release and threatening to dump MSTS if MS didn't come through....I see some of those same conversations now about Open Rails. Open Rails now is a little bit better than MSTS was when it ended...is it the promised V2...no I don't think so but it's better that MSTS was. Open Rails is an open source project developed by volunteers who come into it and then leave....Some of the next new developers are reading this post now....I may even look into a few things. (Wouldn't if be nice if when I'm running a route to have a map window that shows where I'm at on the route......I have a few ideas on that)...Anyway...I'll end this rant with "I like what I got now...wish I had more....and we'll see for what's coming"...Thanks to all the developers of Open Rails...for re-kindling my interest ..and as Danny Harmon says

"This is Amtrak 115.....Out"

when Disaster struck. Something I had clicked or ran had deleted all the contents of all the folders in my Open Rails directory.
    Yea, unlike MSTS where the routes and rolling stock are located in sub directories of the main application folder, OR needs separate folder trunks for app and for assets or else disaster can strike assets when app upgrades happen.

Wouldn't if be nice if when I'm running a route to have a map window that shows where I'm at on the route..
    The Dispatcher Screen already exists. Not pretty, but informative. Some users throw that onto a separate monitor.

Thanks for the info on the Dispatcher Screen...will look into it.

Amtrak115 out