Thread: Use of X-tracks turnouts with M-tracks

Cool Use of X-tracks turnouts with M-tracks

Colleagues,

This will probably interest only the most experienced diehards among us but it is an issue that I
    finally figured out how to deal with.

I like to use M-tracks for the better spacing, greater variety of fixed curves and more realistic
    turnouts, but not all turnout are #15 or longer, so what to do with a #10 turnout or a short
    crossover. So here goes. I don't think diagrams are necessary, so if you are interested just
    go to a blank area of a route, or your test route & follow the instructions.

1. For a single #10 turnout either right or left leading to a parallel track use these pieces.
    A1pnt10d150r---- either left or right. These only come in manual variety. Use a
    120r10d piece, and 1, 1.2, 3.0, & 15.0 meter straight pieces. Attach the 1 meter piece
    to the curve side of the turnout and then the 120r10d piece to bring the track into
    line for the parallel track. At this point I would attach the next M2 piece otherwise a
    tiny gap will result in the next step. Use the 1.2, 3.0, & 15.0 meter pieces to fill in the
    straight side. #10 turnouts are most likely going to be manual anyway, so this is not
    likely to be a serious issue. If the straight side is completed first, a tiny gap will show
    where the M2 piece joins to the curve side. It won't affect operation or an attempt to
    rebuild the track database, but it will look odd in operation.

2. For a short crossover, use two A1pnt6db--- pieces, either left or right, and put 2
    straight pieces between them, 1.5 & 0.3 meter. The A1pnt6db pieces are available
    as either power switches or manual, but for American practice, I would only use
    the manual version, and those mostly in yard areas or at places where local switching
    might be performed on the mainline.

J. H. Sullivan

I’m exclusively Scalerail in my routes, but there are a few places where I’ve had to use an XRails piece for the TDB and geometry. Those are then shape aliased to a custom shape I’ve built in Sketchup to match the Scalerail profile... not for the casual user, for certain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk