Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New file category in the MSTS routes genre

Default New file category in the MSTS routes genre

Colleagues,

I'm not getting any younger and the loss of Don Karch 2 years ago, and my subsequent
    completion of his Mega-Colorado route got me to thinking. Thus Nels has agreed to
    provide a category (directory i.e.) for unfinished/incomplete routes. These will be
    clearly indicated as such and for the most part will contain extracted scenery and all
    main tracks with some major roads. Generally I won't sculpt (i.e. "y" key) the
    terrain for others may have their own ideas about doing that. The first one was just
    uploaded, SLRG_INCPT. The _INCPT I will try to put on the file name of each upload
    so also indicate that it is incomplete. Ultimately I expect to have 10-12 such routes
    and I encourage other old farts like me to use this directory also. Where I have
    profiles/track charts I will include those in a documentation folder and in those cases,
    I will provide bridges & trestles in the correct locations although users may want to
    improve alignment etc.

There needs to be some rules. The main one is avoiding having more than 1 person
    working on the same route unless all such tweakers know what they are doing and
    how to merge a route (I don't). Therefore, if you pull a route from the directory,
    please add a thread to the Route Design forum indicating such and make the subject
    very clear about this so that others can find the reference quickly.

This first route is a current shortline that operates 3 routes in/out of Alamosa, CO.
    The SL&RG is owned by Iowa-Pacific Holdings and it also includes two other little
    shortlines, one of which connects at Del Norte, CO and still exists to haul sugar beets.
    There are no major bridges on this line, but several small pile trestles can be seen
    on Google EArth. GE was used to digitize the route. The Alamosa & Antonito depots
    were provided by a lad on ElvasTower but I have not heard from him in some time,
    so footnote those as being by "someone on ElvasTower" if you complete & release the
    route.

J. H. Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)

That is a fantastic idea. I may drop in to 'improve' a route from time to time.
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Yeah, this is great! I may drop a route or two in here, or grab one to work on

Thanks for the foresight on this. I have a couple I may contribute as well.

Yes, thank you.
    I have a few routes given to me over the years for "safe keeping." Might load them up if it seems appropriate.
    Christopher

This collaborative approach has been a component of the open-source software world for many years now. For example, certain people have a knack for being really good at certain niche areas that some others are uncomfortable with and others are really good at finding and fixing small errors. I applaud this new category idea.

I'm a bit reluctant to support the "Highlander" approach of "there can be only one". I mean if somebody *really* wants to fork off a variant they should be able to... as long as they make it really clear that what they worked on is a truly isolated variant. This often happens in the open-source world. Reviewing the contents of github.com you can quickly find forked repositories that may, or may not, ever get completed or may even supplant the original.

This is a great idea... and actually one that might be good in other areas as well. I continue to struggle with creating correct ENG and WAG files while I have a decent amount of comfort with creting textures and models, for example.

I wish this idea the best of luck...
    Last edited by pwillard; 09-04-2019 at 09:14 AM. Reason: spelling
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter and Blender User
    formerly The Keystone Works
    In IRC at freenode #msts

Colleagues,

My suggestion about one person working on a route at a time is merely because I have no clue as to
    how to merge routes, but if one or more individuals want to collaborate and know how to merge their
    results, I have no problem with it. I didn't mean to sound like a dictator.

I would be a bit rigid about file naming. I submit that all routes should be named thus:

[name]_INCPT. Thus my first upload is SLRG_INCPT. Actually that particular route is not very
    complex and someone that likes scenery/terrain work could probably complete it in a few
    months max. My next one is probably going to be one of Stevens Pass. I call it that to show
    that it is not the same as the very well done Scenic Sub. route that is out in payware.

J. H. Sullivan

I hate to be critical Chris, but this true railfan has three favorites. First the L&N, then the Milwaukee
    Road & the Southern.
    Last edited by landnrailroader; 09-06-2019 at 08:19 AM.

Colleagues,

One other detail. If anyone does grab one of the routes I will upload, and wonders about the occasional tree
    sitting on the track, these have a purpose. I put them there in the approximate location where a track will
    cross a tile boundary, to remind me to be careful how I handle that crossing. Once the track is in place I
    move the tree to be on the track. In detailing a route, if you use transfers to create the roadbed, you need
    to know where the tile boundary is, because it takes a slightly different transfer at the boundary. If you are
    not going to use a roadbed color, or if you are going to use Mosaic or the paint function in TSRE, then just
    delete the tree. In any case, after placing the transfer, delete the tree - sometimes I forget.

J. H. Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)

As a progress report, I have almost completed the Milwaukee road track between Miles City
    and Harlowton. This covers two subdivisions. I am going to include the little bit of BNSF
    (or NP in those old days) that are parallel and the little piece of GN that crosses over the
    Milwaukee Road. It will include the same copy of Harlowton that is in the RMD_EAST
    route and which will also be in the N_Montana route. The portion of the Aberdeen division
    that extends from Mobridge to Miles City is over 300 miles and covers 3 subdivisions. Most
    of it is now operated by BNSF and there are some short branches. Once I get Miles City
    yard done, I will copy it to the Aberdeen division. I'm going to include most principal roads
    and both of these routes have a lot of roads that parallel the track. For the most part the
    terrain is flat, so the roads and railroads are probably at the same elevation. There are many
    farm roads & secondary roads that cross the tracks.

If anyone has looked, there is now a "incomplete routes" category in the library.

J. H. Sullivan
    (aka landnrailroader)