Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trains &Trainsets for Open Rails

Default Trains &Trainsets for Open Rails

Ok, I went and looked over the notes for Open Rails, but run into some else. In open rails and MSTS installed. So I have been trying to install some trains for open rails and msts trains from the train sim website. Been installing them into the 1msts Trainsets folder. But when I go to run them in open rails they are showing up in the Trainsets folder in msts.But not showing up in open rails in the main open Rails start menu. Do they get installed some where else. Any ideas is appreciated. Everything else is running good. Thanks
    Last edited by Maryland50+; 09-05-2019 at 03:46 PM.

Never heard of Open roads. Where do I find it? What does it have to do with MSTS?
    Charles

Maybe it's related to one of the truck-and-bus simulators that they're discussing at length in this thread here:
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...Drivable-Buses

My bad, I corrected it. It now says Open Rails. Could change the title of post.
    Last edited by Maryland50+; 09-05-2019 at 03:50 PM.

In Open Rails, go under Options, Content, and from there you point open rails to to the directories to find your various installations.

Add a link to the 1MSTS folder and then you will be able to run every route you run in MSTS in Open Rails.

If you added the free starter route from Trainsimulations, add another content link to the TrainSimulations folder. Then you will find all the routes and rolling stock from those Open Rails routes that needed to be separate from your MSTS content because of the texture differences

Then when you run Open Rails, you pick the installation on the top most pull down menu, then select the route in the second pull down menu, then the activity in the third, etc

To answer your question. Just like MSTS, Open RAILS requires that any rolling stock you add to the Trainset folders need to be placed in a consist for the simulation to use it.
    Charles

Is there a consist builder still out there that can be downloaded.

Ok, So if I want a train that is in my MSTS train folder go to open rails, content tab, click add and then add the train or consist to content and hit ok.
    Last edited by Maryland50+; 09-05-2019 at 05:30 PM.

Hi Maryland50+,
    NO, you don't add train or consist to content - you add an installation, be it MSTS or Open Rails, which contains route/s and stock. You point OR to the root folder of an installation - the root folder is the one which contains GLOBAL, ROUTES and TRAINS sub-folders (together with, maybe, other files and folders).

Cheers,
    Ged

No. The content tab is a top level thing that is only used once for open rails to 'discover' of the various installations on your content hard drive.

Routes and equipment installed to the Trainset folder of one Open Rails installation are not playable from any other Open Rail installation, because each installation has a separate copy of the Trainset folder and separate pool of consists.

As you saw in the manual, any Open Rails installation requires just 4 basic folders

Global - contains the track & road systems needed for the routes added to this installation
    Routes - contains the routes you added
    Sound - misc sounds needed by various routes - can be empty
    Trains - contains the trainset and consists subfolders.

Multiple installations means multiple copies of these 4 basic folders will exist. Consists built for one installation cannot be read in any other.

The 1MSTS folder does contain these 4 basic folders needed for open rails (along with other folders needed by MSTS but are unused by open rails). Any routes or engine pack add-ons that are built to MSTS standards should go in your 1MSTS folder and are playable in Open Rails via your selection of the "1MSTS installation" in the top pull down.

At the end of the day, all made-for-MSTS content is playable in Open Rails. But any new built-for-Open Rails material added is generally segregated from the old MSTS stuff via a separate installation. The whole point of segregation was to keep only the files essential to Open Rails and avoid the unneeded MSTS chaff.