Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trains &Trainsets for Open Rails

Ok, I opened up TSRE5, clicked on Browse, clicked on 1MSTS, it brought up routes.how what did I do wrong? I could not get trains to come up.?

Open up NOTEPAD and type in the following: TSRE5.exe --conedit then save the file as consiteditor.bat or what ever you want to call it as long as it has .bat as an extension. Be sure to save it in the directory where you have TSRE5.exe located. Run that file and it will bring up the consist editor.

Sounds like you are opening the activity editor.

Click on consisteditor.bat to bring up the consist editor.

There is no, Click on consisteditor.bat to bring up the consist editor, there to bring up.

Quote Originally Posted by Maryland50+ View Post
    There is no, Click on consisteditor.bat to bring up the consist editor, there to bring up.
    Go to the TSRE folder location and you'll find a "ConsistEditor.bat" file....right click and drag to your desktop to make a shortcut, make an icon, if you know how or just use as it appears, rename it if you wish.
    Double-click on the icon to run the batch file.
    A TSRE window will open, use the browse button to find your installation
    Click on the green "Load" button and the Consist Editor will load.

bandicam 2019-09-07 13-48-50-362.jpg

bandicam 2019-09-07 13-53-43-923.jpg
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Quote Originally Posted by Maryland50+ View Post
    Marilyn,
    You need to go to your local Senior Center and take their course in Windows 101. There you might learn that when someone says "Click on consisteditor.bat" or any other batch (bat) file what the really mean is open Windows File Explorer and navigate to the folder where the program is located (On my computer I have TSRE located in the folder C:\TSRE5.), locate the file consisteditor.bat and left click to open the file.

Windows 101 should also teach you that BAT (batch) files are text files that provide a series of commands that run a program in a special way. In this case consisteditor.bat passes the command "conedit" to the TSRE executable program in the form of "TSRE5.exe --conedit".

Windows 101 will also teach you how to make "shortcuts". You know those little icons on your Windows desktop, or on the bottom of your screen or in your Windows "Start Menu". Example:
    open Windows File Explorer and navigate to the folder where the program where TSRE is stored. Now locate the file consisteditor.bat. (Note: Your settings may have the display of file extensions set to not display. So look in the Type column for "Windows Batch File".) Now, instead of left clicking on the file, right click and from the list choose "create shortcut". That will create another file named "consisteditor.bat - Shortcut". Now you can click-hold and drag that icon to you desktop so that the next time you want to run TSRE Consist Editor you don't have to open Windows file Explorer, etc., etc.
    Charles

Charles, teaching college for many years has taught me that it's best done with words and pictures, words and pictures.
    Anyway, niggling aside...you provide good advice for anyone in this hobby, best to become familiar with the Operating System, but it is quite a bit to learn PLUS grappling with OR and any associated utility programs the first time around.
    Regards, Gerry

Marilyn,
    You need to go to your local Senior Center and take their course in Windows 101...
    I'm also wondering where you got the "Marilyn" from??
    Last edited by R. Steele; 09-07-2019 at 05:19 PM.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Maybe that's the problem, When I install TSRE, it does not give me the option what drive to download to. I know about shortcuts, and . bat files. It also said it's a experimental file.

You simply download TSRE and place it in any folder you want. The first time you run it, it downloads other files and populates your TSRE folder with other files. Some of those other files are batch files, one is consisteditor.bat. Close out TSRE and then click on the consisteditor.bat, and it will fire off TSRE again in a different way, bringing up the consist editor.

You can create a shortcut on the desktop at your leisure pointing to that consist editor batch file so all you need to do is click on that shortcut

The problem starts with when I try to install it. I DO Not get a change to tell it where to install to. It opens up TSRES. here is a screenshot of what I see when I stall TSRES. No chance of where to install it. I t opens up on my desktop. I just searched my laptop, TSRES is not installed on any drive or folders on my laptop anywhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Maryland50+; 09-08-2019 at 12:37 PM.