Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CGW Ace. Files

Maybe Charles can correct me if I am wrong but I believe scale rail looks for the track textures in the route folder somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by mdeming View Post
    Maybe Charles can correct me if I am wrong but I believe scale rail looks for the track textures in the route folder somewhere.
    Correct. Scale Rail has the choice of six different track/ties/ballast textures. These are unique to the route so they have to go in the ...\Routes"RouteName"\Textures folder. If there were only one choice they could go in the …\GLOBAL\TEXTURES folder. This seems to be universal for all MSTS components when referenced with just a filename and no "alias path" the local folder (I say local because it may be the same folder that holds the calling file or a subfolder.) is searched first, then if the file is not found the corresponding Global folder is searched.

The best example of this is in sounds, The MSTS CDs installs a file named d9_horn1.wav in the "MSTS install"\Sound folder. So any Dash9 engine Sound Management (SMS) file that calls for d9_horn1.wav to play and there is no d9_horn1.wav file in the "Dash9 engine"\Sound folder the result is that MSTS will play the one in the
    "MSTS install"\Sound folder. BUT if you have a Dash9 that has a horn that sounds totally different and create a recording in a file with the same name, then place that file in the "MSTS Install"\Trains\Trainset"Special Horn Dash9"\Sound folder the "Special Horn" will sound not the one in the
    "MSTS install"\Sound folder without having to edit the SMS file. Of course one would be smart to name the "Special Horn" recording d9_horn2.wav and edit the SMS so it would not be confused with d9_horn1.wav.

BTW using the "Global" folders saves HD space. However, wasting HD space and repeating files in Route and Trainset folders decreasing processing time as the program finds the file to display or play quicker.
    Charles