Thread: Files Search Engine?

Default Files Search Engine?

I find it odd that doing a search of the File Library under "Microsoft Train Simulator: Steam Locomotives" and using such notations as 2-8-0 and 2-6-0 in the "Search for text" field turns in the up ZERO hits?

Anyone have an opinion as to why?

Hi Andre,

The search engine doesn't recognize your "-"s and doesn't do searched for three characters or less. Maybe just look for Ten Wheeler, or Consolidation, but you're probably stick with Steam Engine and having to go through them all.

Paul :-)

The search engine here is useful, but not to be relied upon. All kinds of things fail to turn up. And searching the whole library and sub-categories brings up different things.

& characters also aren't recognize and seem to confuse it. Hard for a Baltimore & Ohio fan! Or Boston & Maine.

Many or most content creators do not write their file description with the search engine in mind. So somebody posts a B&O 2-8-0 . . . it will never be found in a search. If they spelled out B&O, you could at least search for "Baltimore." I wish you could search for reporting marks. At least you can search for "Charland". That has proved a useful search more than once!

Christopher

I also wish google could find files here.

I understand there are probably some good reasons not to allow that, but it sure would be useful. Google would do a better job with the search.

As it is, googling for a file typically brings up J K Y's site.

Thanks. That's exactly what it was. Didn't have a clue that the - sign would null and void the search string. Also, one of my searches was for NYC steam engines, and seeing as that's "three or less", then it too, got the axe.

Thanks again.

I always try to search by the name of the person....first or last, that always seems to work, sometimes I have to do a little digging to find the name.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.