Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: still no sounds!!!!!

(2706 WAS CHANGED TO U33 sound because in the readme text he is calling for U33B sound. i have both sound packs neither one works) 2723 is an original ENG file ...CAB/ ENG SMS FILES thats the way they come up as notepads ... STILL SMS files

and everything is main directory ‪C:\Games\Train Simulator
    so the addon is in C:\Games|Train simulator\Trains\Trainset and etc for common.snd ... cab etc etc
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (156.5 KB, 11 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (124.5 KB, 8 views)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Pennsy,

I am confused.
    Opening the PC_U23B_2706.zip
    you posted in post #11 I find this on line 730:
    Sound ("RF_U33Beng.sms")
    and on line #928 I find
    Sound ( "RF_U33Bcab.sms" )

BUT in graphic #3 in your post #3 which appears to be a snippet from the 2706 ENG file I see:
    Sound ( "RF_U23Bcab.sms" )
    Name ("PC U23B 2706")
    Description (

Where did the ENG file in the PC_U23B_2706.zip
    come from? Is the ENG file you are running and not getting any sound? Or is the snippet of the 2706 ENG file from the ENG file you are running and not getting any sound?

I think I found what may have created your problem. Note this line from the ReadMe.txt from the PC_U23B.zip.

"For the sound you need the GE U33B Sound Set by Ron Furto: rf_u33b_sound.zip."

That should have said:

For the sound you need the GE U23B Sound Set by Ron Furto: rf_u23b_sound.zip." U23 not U33

Looks like a typo by Malte Cordes. Copied the ReadMe from a U33 engine and failed to modify the name of the Sound Zip needed.

Delete your Sound folder from your PC_U23B folder. Download
    rf_u23b_sound.zip
    and install the files from it.
    Charles

My knowledge of MSTS is close to nil, but supposing everything is correct with the sounds...isn't there something in the MSTS Options\Sounds that could cause this problem- no sound at all...sound adjustments? Just guessing....this is so not my area of knowledge.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

i downloaded both sound files and tried them both on PC2706 ,,, and both had the same effect nothing at all... yes ENG 2706 is the one with no sound......
    didnt matter which sound folder i plugged in... not a sound
    ENG 2723 is the way all the ENG files are with the U23b

Quote Originally Posted by PENNSYFAN View Post
    i downloaded both sound files and tried them both on PC2706 ,,, and both had the same effect nothing at all... yes ENG 2706 is the one with no sound......
    didnt matter which sound folder i plugged in... not a sound
    ENG 2723 is the way all the ENG files are with the U23b
    Don't know how to help you any more. I downloaded PC_U23B.ZIP and the U23 Sound ZIP. Already had the CabView files. Installed both ZIPs per instructions. Opened ConBuilder to create a consist. Got error message on all 3 PC U23's. Error reported was typo in the MaxPower line. It had kN instead of kW for MaxPower. Corrected. Created consist of U23 2706 and some freight cars. Opened Sim. Selected PC2706. Sound works fine both in the cab and outside.
    Charles

I don't know the answer here, but if you want to figure it out, you need to follow the chain of files that call other files. Start with the .eng file and find the two locations for .sms files (one for cab and one for exterior). Verify that those files exist in the locations expected. (if no folder is specified it is expected in the SOUND folder within the folder that holds the engine. Verify that the .wav files called by the .sms file are in the location expected.
    Christopher

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?331985-No-cab-view-or-sound

In the above thread I tried to help you by suggesting that you download some utility programs to help diagnose your problems, for whatever reason, you chose not to. Also suggested same in this thread.

I get it now, you don't want to learn how to fish, you just want someone to hand you the fish.

Geeze, best of luck, you'll need it.

If you follow the suggestions provided by Chris, the tools would be a help.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

ok just did the same thing after coming back from a FIRE CALL works fine now,, who would have thought

Quote Originally Posted by crstagg View Post
    Don't know how to help you any more. I downloaded PC_U23B.ZIP and the U23 Sound ZIP. Already had the CabView files. Installed both ZIPs per instructions. Opened ConBuilder to create a consist. Got error message on all 3 PC U23's. Error reported was typo in the MaxPower line. It had kN instead of kW for MaxPower. Corrected. Created consist of U23 2706 and some freight cars. Opened Sim. Selected PC2706. Sound works fine both in the cab and outside.

Since the sound folder and files have been moved into the engine's folder, the SMS files need to point to just the file names and not the Common Sound folder outside the engine's folder.

Paul

Working fire?

Paul :-)