Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: TS2020 Announced.

What is the point of this so-called "update"?
    Seriously.
    Is it just to be able to add another year to the title of a game that is essentially the same as it was a year ago?

"Updates", to me, are when considerable changes have been made to a product to the extent that there is a distinct difference between what was and what is. TS2020 doesn't fit into that category.

It should be TS2015.5
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I let Steam download the latest TS2020 and TSW2020 updates tonight. Just curious, a state I get in about once a year with DTG. Some may remember that I used to be very active here in another era. Now spend time with both N3V sims, mostly to just keep up to date.

TS2020. Downloaded OK with no corruption (usually have to reload local files after an update). Don't see any significant differences on the surface. Haven't played around with the screen shot tools, but they seem like a strange thing for DTG to spend their time on since pretty much everyone has a photo editor that will do the same thing. Went to the editor to see if they screwed up my current route work, and here we go again...the Ctrl-G Google Maps tool once again is now back to showing the rotating circles but not the maps. Happens every time I update. Last time had to go to Google and re-license the tool again, which is not fun. Other than that nothing seems to have broken in my route. I suppose that is as good a news as I am going to get. I have a long term project going, completing my Spokane Funnel route, and I have given up with the old methods and use Google Maps exclusively. Much easier (when it works) and a lot more accurate.

TSW2020. Lots of eye candy in the intro screens, and the general look has been changed a bit. I had some issues with the user interface, since some moves seem to have changed. I just spent a few minutes trying to get the engine started and mouse clicks didn't seem to do the trick for grabbing controls and switches. Will have to take some time some month to sit down and study the changes. Still only have the default CSX route, which I have completed, so until I feel the need to buy another of the very few routes available, not much to do. That is the trouble with TSW. With no editor, and only a few routes to complete, it becomes old and boring really quick. The thing that kept us all busy back "in the old days" was the constant flow of new user routes and rolling stock to keep us challenged. Well, this one goes back on the shelf till I have a really boring afternoon to kill.

Now back to the other guys, or maybe fly fishing.

Intel i7-2600K 3.4 Ghz, nVidia GTX-560 1 mb superclocked, Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 MB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz DDR3 RAM 16 GB, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Cooler Master GeminII Air Cooling

OK.....For those that have had a chance to kick the tires and see what's shaken. I said in a earlier post I'm not touching it till I hear just how many changes and gremlins there are.

1. Did 2020 jack up anybody's assets, or routes?

2. Did the RE get jacked or changed? One person has reported the Google overlay got jacked, but as he said, almost always happens on the updates.

3. Is the 64 bit stable this time around and not jacking routes people are working on? Ditto for the 32 bit. Is it running stable?

4. Did DTG screw with the blueprint editor?

From what I read early on, why call it a update which many have also asked. Some fanboys are going on about "Improved graphics". Well... Won't do much good if DTG amped it up enough that most computers and graphics cards struggle. Would LOVE to know what kind of computer(s) and graphics card(s) DTG runs the sim on since they always seem to have picture perfect screen shots and videos showing how great it is. All DTG seems to ever offer up is it's our computers and lack of computer smarts that prevent many from getting the "DTG quality" experience.

DTG probably use Titan X Graphics cards to make everything look the biz. no good if their customers don''t have the same, but, that isn't their concern is it, they just want your money not the pleasure for you to play the game on your equipment satisfactorily.
    I've just upgraded my TS2020 from Steam and the package was only about 55mbs, I was slightly shocked at something so small, it didn't even touch any Asset/Content Folders, it just updates the shaders and several other folders under Steam and Railworks, nothing else, hardly an annual update, more like a service pack / patch.
    It knackered up my game anyway, after attempting to clear the cache it just froze my computer solid, I couldn't even get out of it by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Delete, it's just an absolute joke, not been anywhere near it since, sod 'em, won't be wasting any more money on this rubbish.

Cheerz. Steve.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Maybe they want to force people over to TSW...!
    Vern.

Still the best game available.

Harold

Quote Originally Posted by hminky View Post
    Still the best game available.

Harold
    ......really ...I take your word for it. Luckily there are a few Train Sims with forums on here too!
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Take away the pretty graphics and TS20xx & TSW are just dumbed down arcade games.

Functionally Open Rails is way ahead, just hasn't got modern graphics.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

They're not even that good as arcade games. The Japs nailed that with Densha de Go years ago...
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    They're not even that good as arcade games. The Japs nailed that with Densha de Go years ago...
    So true, Vern.
    That was a gem.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0