Thread: MSTS Versions?

Default MSTS Versions?

Hi All:

I have a online friend that was into MSTS some time ago. Because of a common interest we have in a certain prototype railroad that I'm building into a route, he is re-entering the hobby. Anyway, said friend thinks he has the "Atari" bundled version that he purchased at Walmart umpteen years ago. He asking about a "Deluxe" version he saw or something.

My question: Is the Atari version of MSTS a good enough "start here" for the upgrades available over at Steam4me?

I still have my original discs that Microsoft released so I've sort of forgotten the various publisher versions and pitfalls (if any) that one needs to be aware of.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I used the Atari version exclusively, with all the addons and stuff from Steam4me.

During my XP years I had combined the contents of both disks into a single folder and usually installed from that, much quicker, but after win 7 days that type of install no longer worked and I needed to go back to the disks, which is the opposite experience of others who used other non-atari copies and never could get their disk 2 to load.

Thanks for the reply.

My friend has resurrected an XP machine, so he should be good to go then, that is if the disc is readable and will install.

i got the 2 ISO Files on my Laptop that i installed

Quote Originally Posted by Boat23 View Post
    i got the 2 ISO Files on my Laptop that i installed

Yes, you don't understand what the post is about... They are asking "version" of MSTS. The ISO one you got is probably downloaded from a hacker site. Since MSTS or other CD vendors licensed with M$ does not make ISO files... they only make CD's out of them. Remember, the ISO files are riddled with viruses trojans, or malware, even you still think its "clean" but really, it isn't.
    Dave Edwards

Hi Dave,
    It's possible that boat23 created the .iso files himself from his CDs. I backup all my CD and DVD add-ons (and MSTS CDs) that way to a separate hard drive. .iso files can be mounted in Windows and given a drive letter then treated just like a CD/DVD, but is much faster!

Cheers,
    Ged

It's also wise to do as CD's as old as MSTS are liable to fail. They have a shelf life and it has long since expired.
    And then there is the matter of computers no longer coming with CD drives. For something else I was going to make .iso files of CD's (ended up taking a different approach).
    Christopher

Curious:

How does one do a back up of the original CD's? Isn't there a write protection of some sort on it that prevents such?

It wouldn't be a bad idea for me to make digital copies of the original discs if it's possible. That way I can store it on a thumb drive or separate drives for longer life.

Any decent burning program should be able to do it. Instead of burning a new CD, you'll have to let it write an image file to disk.
    The MSTS CDs aren't copy protected, it's only the (original) MSTS program that requires the CD to be in the drive at runtime (Securom copy protection).