Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ORTS Steam locomotive injectors

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default ORTS Steam locomotive injectors

I notice that in ORTS, the injectors of the steam locomotives is INJ 1 and INJ 2. Does the simulation recognize any difference between the two injectors or do they perform the same functions?
    Sean Summer
    CEO of Blue Ridge Mountains Machine works.

If you are a member at ET, just search the OR part of the forum using "steam injectors" -- plenty of threads...you'll probably find an answer.
    I have no good answer, steam novice ( and that's giving myself more credit than due )
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

In the Open Rails Manual you'll see this:

• Injectors (named Injectors1FX and Injectors2FX) – represents the steam discharge from the steam
    overflow pipe of the injectors. They will appear whenever the respective injectors operate.

There's more but I'll leave the reading to you.

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Steam locomotive injectors have but one function, to inject water from the tender or tank into the boiler, generally there are two of them. One is normally sufficient to maintain a certain water level in the boiler, but on occasion there is need for the second one to run when demand for steam is higher.

There are live steam injectors and exhaust steam injectors, both can be of one type or one of each.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Hi Folks,

@Baldwin - please correct me if I’m wrong - unlike the MSTS injectors - you could replicate if the water going to the boiler passed through a feed water heater - where ORTS doesn’t offer that option - it assumes a feedwater heater is present on both injectors ? There’s no way to currently replicate cold tender water and the dramatic impact on steam production - it should have ?

In MSTS - I'm pretty sure I had my Mountain setup where one injector had a far more severe penalty on steam production than the other - only one passed through the feedwater heater - this was done when Bill Hobbs was still around and it was mostly his ENG file... In ORTS there seems to be no difference between using injector 1 or injector 2...

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by scottb613; 09-11-2019 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    Hi Folks,

@Baldwin - please correct me if I’m wrong - unlike the MSTS injectors - you could replicate if the water going to the boiler passed through a feed water heater - where ORTS doesn’t offer that option - it assumes a feedwater heater is present on both injectors ? There’s no way to currently replicate cold tender water and the dramatic impact on steam production - it should have ?

In MSTS - I'm pretty sure I had my Mountain setup where one injector had a far more severe penalty on steam production than the other - only one passed through the feedwater heater - this was done when Bill Hobbs was still around and it was mostly his ENG file... In ORTS there seems to be no difference between using injector 1 or injector 2...

Regards,
    Scott

This is what I'm trying to figure out, does ORTS simulate one injector feeding from the tender & the other one feeding from the exhaust?

Quote Originally Posted by Shortliner View Post
    This is what I'm trying to figure out, does ORTS simulate one injector feeding from the tender & the other one feeding from the exhaust?
    Hi...

Here’s the section - distilled down to only parameters used by ORTS - involving the boiler, fire, and steam production - this is it - note no injector settings... All the other traditional MSTS settings are ignored and anything else needed is in the source code for ORTS...

Code:
    Comment ( ########## ENGINE SECTION ########## )
    Engine ( 280consolidation 
            Wagon ( 280consolidation ) 
            Type ( Steam )  
            ORTSSteamLocomotiveType ( Simple )
            ORTSDriveWheelWeight ( 283800lb  )
            IsTenderRequired ( 1 ) 
            WheelRadius ( 0.775m )
            NumWheels ( 4 ) 

Comment ( ##### ORTS BOILER -20% ##### )
            ORTSSteamBoilerType ( Superheated )
            ORTSEvaporationArea ( "2885.6*(ft^2)" )
            ORTSSuperheatArea ( "739.2*(ft^2)" )
            MaxBoilerPressure ( 220psi )
            BoilerVolume ( "533.2*(ft^3)" )

Comment ( ##### ORTS BOILER - ADVANCED ##### )  
    Comment ( ORTSBoilerEvaporationRate ( 10 ) )

Comment ( ##### ORTS CYLINDER ##### )
            NumCylinders ( 2 )
            CylinderDiameter ( 27in )       
            CylinderStroke ( 32in ) 
            ORTSCylinderEfficiencyRate ( 1.0 )

Comment ( ##### ORTS FIRE -20% ##### )
            ORTSFuelCalorific ( 12500btu/lb )
            ORTSGrateArea ( "80.0*(ft^2)" )

Comment ( ##### ORTS FUEL ##### )
            MaxTenderCoalMass ( 32000lb ) 
            MaxTenderWaterMass ( 125000lb )
            ORTSSteamFiremanMaxPossibleFiringRate ( 12000 lb/h )
            SteamFiremanIsMechanicalStoker ( 1.0 )
    Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by scottb613; 09-11-2019 at 07:19 PM.

The current injector model for Open Rails is very simplified, live steam only, size automatically calculated dependent on other engine parameters, and operation calculated from a table within the compiled executive when in auto fireman mode. The usual MSTS keys are available in manual mode.

There is a penalty heat loss for using them, but the effect is minimal on large locomotives. One thing, do not let pressure drop too far, the injectors cease to work when pressure is low enough.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Hi...

Yeah - I’ve spent a great deal of time creating ORTS Steam ENG files along with the locomotive models that go with them - I’ve also spent a great deal of testing and hand firing locomotives - lol - it’s what I do - I’ve read just about everything on Peter’s fantastic “Coals To Newcastle” site which definitively documents much of what’s been done in ORTS... Peter created the code for much of the Steam Physics model...

http://www.coalstonewcastle.com.au/

To the best of my knowledge - the ORTS Steam Model has been substantially simplified from the old MSTS model - in an attempt to simplify it for the masses and to only include fully documentable truths... If you go through the site - you’d be truly surprised at how few parameters we used in MSTS are actually used by ORTS...

I’ll defer to Baldwin’s greater knowledge about this as he’s helped me a great deal...

There are no real controls used in ORTS to manage the injectors... It’s all built into the ORTS source - and both injectors are treated the same...

Regards,
    Scott

Hi Baldwin,

Thanks for the update - a topic I dearly love - while the advanced physics calculations and coding are above my pay grade - I truly hope we add back some more control to the ORTS Steam Physics model at some point...

Accessibility for the masses is a good thing - but - having power/control to tailor the model for the multitude of unique requirements we’ve seen in the Steam Era is a good thing also - and - we shouldn’t really lose capability we had in MSTS...

Just my two cents - please take it for what it’s worth...

Regards,
    Scott