Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSTS/Open Rails on Linux OS

Default MSTS/Open Rails on Linux OS

Hi everybody.

Is anybody Running MSTS/Open Rails on a Linux Operating System or is it even Possible or best left alone?

Any suggestions Please.

Many Thanks

Paul.

I tried to set up Open Rails Monogame on my Linux Mint installation yesterday.
    The OpenRails.exe has to be run as root and executed with mono, but even then I only got it to display a message that it needs .net 3.5 and XNA Framework to run. As I didn't have much time, I decided I would try it another time and didn't do any more attempts.
    So, it's probably possible to run OR on Linux, but you have to tinker a bit.
    Normal version doesn't work too, I think, because AFAIK wine doesn't support XNA 3.1 yet.
    TS may work, but the same issues as in Windows pop up. I didn't get it to work half a year ago.

Peanut Gallery Comment here: I had similar results a few weeks ago... I gave up as I was unable to satisfy dependencies without a boatload of frustration. In General, I'm really ready to give Windows the boot... Truth is... I can't just yet.
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter and Blender User
    formerly The Keystone Works (All Permissions Granted)
    In IRC at freenode #msts

There has been interest and activity in running Open Rails in Linex. It's not hard, I hear. But I think there really needs to be a champion who makes a regular Linex distribution and makes sure on an ongoing basis that there are no conflicts
    Christopher

Linux fans got excited when Net Market Share showed 3.37% of the world's desktops running Linux, a record high this past August. But the euphoria was short lived when everyone realized that Chromebooks, i.e. Google-owned and customized Chrome OS, was the reason for the higher numbers, not open source Linux "distros". Linux is still hardly used as a desktop OS and, after over a decade of "the year of Linux is coming soon" predictions, those notions are finally being recognized as just so much wishful thinking by those who want it so. Ain't gonna happen, and it's kind of pitiful and embarrassing to see people still saying that it will. In the IT world where I work, it's become the butt of jokes.

That said, I use Linux at home, Ubuntu, for my living room media center pc, and on another pc, too, my network-attached-storage server for backups and bulk storage. Single-purpose computers, both of them, and not ever for general uses. And they're never going to be able to run essential software I need for work and my recreation. Linux is free only if your time is worth nothing, and I certainly won't take time trying to get my sim programs running on it. Windows 10 works just fine for me, thank you very much. The never ending primary problem with Linux, as this discussion shows, is what it cannot run -- important business and recreation/gaming Windows software -- despite its powerful and dependable core functionality.

But really, excited about a mere 3.37% of the world's pc's running Linux desktops, after all these many years? That, too, is kind of pitiful to see.
    Last edited by ftldave; 09-12-2019 at 06:42 PM. Reason: fix punctuation
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer

Quote Originally Posted by ftldave View Post
    Linux fans got excited when Net Market Share showed 3.37% of the world's desktops running Linux, a record high this past August. But the euphoria was short lived when everyone realized that Chromebooks, i.e. Google-owned and customized Chrome OS, was the reason for the higher numbers, not open source Linux "distros". Linux is still hardly used as a desktop OS and, after over a decade of "the year of Linux is coming soon" predictions, those notions are finally being recognized as just so much wishful thinking by those who want it so. Ain't gonna happen, and it's kind of pitiful and embarrassing to see people still saying that it will. In the IT world where I work, it's become the butt of jokes.

That said, I use Linux at home, Ubuntu, for my living room media center pc, and on another pc, too, my network-attached-storage server for backups and bulk storage. Single-purpose computers, both of them, and not ever for general uses. And they're never going to be able to run essential software I need for work and my recreation. Linux is free only if your time is worth nothing, and I certainly won't take time trying to get my sim programs running on it. Windows 10 works just fine for me, thank you very much. The never ending primary problem with Linux, as this discussion shows, is what it cannot run -- important business and recreation/gaming Windows software -- despite its powerful and dependable core functionality.

But really, excited about a mere 3.37% of the world's pc's running Linux desktops, after all these many years? That, too, is kind of pitiful to see.
    HI ftldave , thanks for reply.

After reading several comments Today re Linux have decided to stay with Windows 10 for the time being, who knows if there is a Windows 11 or similar Windows OS in the Pipeline maybe it will be a bit more user friendly!!! Wish Windows XP had kept its support.

Many thanks

Regards

Paul.

Gosh darn it, I coulda swore that a software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question.

Lindsayts over at Elvas Tower is the one to ask about Linux
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

LindsayTS hasn't been active since May. Hopefully he is ok?

Robert

Hello,

If you Want to Run MSTS/ORTS on a Linux OS Like Ubuntu,Fedora or Lubuntu you wold need

Wine (Wine is not a WIndows Emulator)

you can find it by www.winehq.org

Many Cheers

Brandon