Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MSTS/Open Rails on Linux OS

If you are staying with Win-10 how are you handing what I have heard and read to be it's
    propensity to destroy MSTS every time it upgrades. I keep all the toys backed up but I
    can foresee several hours of reinstalls with every upgrade-----.

Quote Originally Posted by landnrailroader View Post
    If you are staying with Win-10 how are you handing what I have heard and read to be it's
    propensity to destroy MSTS every time it upgrades. I keep all the toys backed up but I
    can foresee several hours of reinstalls with every upgrade-----.
    Never had a Win 10 Upgrade destroy MSTS on either of my 2 PCs.
    Charles

Hi,
    Never had a Win 10 Upgrade destroy MSTS on either of my 2 PCs.

Same goes for me and I've now managed to successfully upgrade to v1903!!
    I suppose it might depend on where you have MSTS installed by default - mine is NOT on drive C:

Cheers,
    Ged

As long as I've installed MSTS outside Program Files (as has been recommended since, at least, Win7/Vista, and mandatory for 8/10), Win10 updates haven't touched it ... except for registry entries. All the files stay exactly where I put them. The only way to actually "wipe" it out is to do a Fresh Install and choose NOT to keep your data files (i.e. format the disk) - the 1MSTS (or whatever you call it) directory at the root level is considered to be just data when doing a Feature Update (or even Fresh Install) while keeping data. The only thing wiped out is the registry entries, and yes, it might be convenient to reinstall MSTS to restore those, though there are other ways too (like saving the registry entries in a .reg file, then just restoring that).

According to the Wine compatibility database, MSTS itself is good. You should be able to install and run it with little difficulty (beyond getting Wine to work in the first place). As long as you're running Linux on the hardware, that is; for some reason MSTS simply refuses to run in virtual machines (something about lack of hardware acceleration for video, regardless of how you have the machine defined and regardless of whether or not suitable drivers supporting DirectX 8 and 9 are present).

Open Rails is a different story. Does not run in Wine as far as I can tell. The Mono version also appears to have some dependencies that are difficult to address in Linux; I gave up fighting with it for now.

You are correct. I have no interest in MSTS executables any longer. It was OpenRails that poses the requirements for dependencies that cannot be met without way too much effort (if you can get it to ever work at all)
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter and Blender User
    formerly The Keystone Works (All Permissions Granted)
    In IRC at freenode #msts