Thread: MSTS Eng/Wag Syntax highlighting for Kate text editor

Default MSTS Eng/Wag Syntax highlighting for Kate text editor

Hi,
    when I was procrastinating earlier today, I decided to finally do something that I had wanted to do for a long time: create a syntax highlighting script for the free and Open Source Kate text editor, which I use very often. Kate is the text editor of the KDE project and is very feature-rich and customizable.
    The script is not 100% finished and is only associated with .eng and .wag files per default, but I think it is good enough to be uploaded here for everyone else who may want to use it.
    Some screenshots:
    kate01.jpg
    kate02.jpg
    kate03.jpg

More infos and download of Kate: https://kate-editor.org
    To install, follow the instructions on https://docs.kde.org/stable5/en/appl...ght-xml-format or simply drop the extracted xml file in the directory "%Userprofile%\Appdata\Local\org.kde.syntax-highlighting\syntax if you're using windows. Hint: If the folders don't exist, you have to create them all by yourself.

ae_msts_engwag_kate_highlighting_v1.zip

Have a nice day!
    Last edited by mmax45581; 09-15-2019 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Path to folder typo

Thanks for this.

I've been using the conText editor because it too has a syntax highlighting add on for MSTS.

Can you say a little more about Kate? Why would I want to use it instead of conText?

Christopher

I would suggest in this age of 1920 and 3840 monitors, try to post screens bigger than 374 x 249

If attaching via this website is constricting them, go elsewhere to post and provide links only here

Thanks for this.

I've been using the conText editor because it too has a syntax highlighting add on for MSTS.

Can you say a little more about Kate? Why would I want to use it instead of conText?

Christopher
    Basically, from what I've seen, it looks nicer. (Probably not the deciding factor for you). That is probably because it is actively maintained (ConTEXT isn't, I saw a notice on their website). There is a big community backing it up as part of the KDE Applications. The reason I like it is because it's modular and therefore very customizable and there is a very powerful find and replace function.
    If you already use ConTEXT, you probably don't need this one...
    I made the file more for people who already had Kate, eg people using Linux, so they could use this for convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by mmax45581 View Post
    Hi,
    when I was procrastinating earlier today, I decided to finally do something that I had wanted to do for a long time: create a syntax highlighting script for the free and Open Source Kate text editor, which I use very often. Kate is the text editor of the KDE project and is very feature-rich and customizable.
    The script is not 100% finished and is only associated with .eng and .wag files per default, but I think it is good enough to be uploaded here for everyone else who may want to use it.
    Some screenshots:
    kate01.jpg
    kate02.jpg
    kate03.jpg

More infos and download of Kate: https://kate-editor.org
    To install, follow the instructions on https://docs.kde.org/stable5/en/appl...ght-xml-format or simply drop the extracted xml file in the directory "%Userprofile%\Appdata\Local\org.kde.syntax-highlighting\syntax if you're using windows. Hint: If the folders don't exist, you have to create them all by yourself.

ae_msts_engwag_kate_highlighting_v1.zip

Have a nice day!
    I hate to ask 'noob' questions but here goes: I have Kate running on Ubuntu. Where can I get help adding your .XML High-Lighter tool to my Kate on Linux?
    Best Regards,
    Paul

Hi Paul,
    it should be in the website I linked to, but I can just copy it over here:
    Custom .xml highlight definition files are located in org.kde.syntax-highlighting/syntax/ in your user folder found with qtpaths--paths GenericDataLocation which usually is $HOME/.local/share
    If it doesn't exist already, just create a folder /home/‹your username›/.local/share/org.kde.syntax-highlighting/syntax/ and copy the file there. Now it should be available in Kate and be automatically used for engine and wagon files.

Thank you so much. That was just the help I needed. Up and running, now to get comfortable with Kate!

Paul