Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting started

Vince,

I know you've been using TSRE, and as an exercise in learning it's capabilities, I've been reworking Michael Vone's book related to TSRE. I've run into a couple of issues....

one, I know Ctrl-Q turns automatic TDB update on, however is there any visual clue you are in that mode?
    two, I was working through an exercise with dynamic track from MV's book. Basically creating a -0.5 angle with an 80m radius with a slope of -3 degrees. I get through all the track girations...then I Press Z then try to elevate the terrain to the track with F...it just spins it's wheels at that point. Now I just crossed over the edge of a tile if that makes a difference but the dynamic track piece is all within one tile. Any clues to what might be happening?

thanks for any info..

later

Barry

Hi Barry,

There is no visual indication for Auto-add to TDB. It has been suggested to GOKU to provide one but it's easy enough to see if it's on of off necause as soon as you deselect a track section the Yellow Database line will or will not appear depending if the Auto-add is on or off.

I don't know what you mean by "it just spins it's wheels at that point."

I've never had terrain fail to level to track using the 'F' key. Check your embankment settings in the TSRE (F2) terrain panel.
    Does terrain leveling (F) work with regular track sections?

Be advised that the default Dynamic Track curve is to the Right, a positive curve. MSTS Dynamic Track default curve was only to the Left, a negative number curve. TSRE swings both ways something MSTS was never able to do.
    I still avoid DT if possible,

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Sometimes F doesn't work with dynamic track. I don't know why, instead the editor just crashed. As a workaround, I placed a short section of road with "stick to target" checked and just pressed F for that, which will probably get the same result. If not, you might have to repeat the process in different locations.

"as you deselect a track section the Yellow Database line will or will not appear"

Well Duh!!!! of course I new that....LOL

"it just spins it's wheels at that point."

It was crashing...I just didn't wait long enough...saw it happen later...looked at TSRE Log.txt, but no reference to anything I was trying to do...it just stopped.

"avoid DT if possible"

seen this several places now....probably will heed that advise..and not use DT if at all possible.

thanks for the advice.

BTW. I was a big fan of NEC4. use to take train to Philly from DC about every 4/6 weeks when I was working in DC for Gov't. I took the same route on your PRR East V2. and it's much better. your routes, and several others sparked my interest in learning more about OR and TSRE. One day I'll figure out why you have so much stuff below ground...in your routes.....LOL...I've seen some of the conversations you've had with GOKU. I think his editor is a great and a game changer with respect to getting routes into OR.

later

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by mmax45581 View Post
    Sometimes F doesn't work with dynamic track.
    I thought I saw it work once...but not since...I'll try your trick or avoid DT.

thanks

Barry

Exclamation Editing. How Often Should You Save Your Work?

Quote Originally Posted by mmax45581 View Post
    Sometimes F doesn't work with dynamic track. I don't know why, instead the editor just crashed. As a workaround, I placed a short section of road with "stick to target" checked and just pressed F for that, which will probably get the same result. If not, you might have to repeat the process in different locations.
    Another possibility:
    I've never come across this not being able to level terrain under just Dynamic Track.
    While reworking the PRR route there were times when terrain leveling stopped working at all!
    What the problem there was ME!

I was doing long sessions editing usually touching up track alignments and a LOT of terrain leveling on the PRR.
    An example is the West bound grade from the brand new Altoona complex up the Horseshoe Curve grade to the Gallitzin tunnels.

It is a mixture of Standard X-Tracks, Scale Rail and Dynamic track. (I didn't change any track, just realigned what was there, aligning the grade and joins, leveling the terrain to the track and setting trackside vegetation parallel to the terrain.
    If I failed to save often the 'F' key would sometimes fail to level the terrain under the track. Didn't matter if it was DT or standard track.
    A save usually returned the function but sometimes a reload of the route into the editor was needed.

I place the blame for this on myself. Here I am selecting track, pressing 'F', selecting trackside shrubbery, pressing 'N', selecting next track section, F again and so on. Very repetitive work.

It gets into such a marching step I was sometimes forgetting to save and that's when the failure occurred. I seem to remember something like this happening while I was editing, tweaking really, terrain with the MSTS editor. I just suddenly failed to level and a quick save fixed it there too.

I try to save 10 or so operations performed be they track or terrain or any combination of.

regards,

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Hi Basil,

After placing an object make sure you are in SELECT mode then you can click on ground or sky to de-select.
    Pressing the 'Z' key also deselects the object. (be careful that it is not a section of track)
    Then you have to make an off-on button SELECT or the sequence of keys 'Q' - 'E' to select another object.

Everything here has been helpful. I am getting the hang of it but still occasionally place something in the sky by accident. I am placing some streetlights in a route and when I put one in the air I cannot see it until I run at night in OR. Then it shows up. Is there a way to set the viewing time of day in TSRE? In The MSTS RE you could use the + or - to change the time of day.

Thanks
    Basil

I asked Goku that same question some time ago. The answer was no.
    regards,