Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DARv3 Progress

Default DARv3 Progress

I've finished another 2000 feet along Water Street in Yarmouth. That leaves another 2000 feet of intense building along Water Street and then about a mile or so of CN track to finish the DARv3.

Took some shots of the progress.

Paul :-)

Looking forward to v3. Really enjoyed v1&2. Thanks for all your good work!

Don

Nice addition of your route, DARv3. Look forward to get when it will be release in the file library.

John

Hi Paul,

Glad to see the project back on track.

Denis

The route was complete to the Yarmouth station but I have next to no information on the last mile and a half to work with. Water Street in Yarmouth has changed greatly over the years and the oldest Google Earth satellite shots are only from 2002, so are pretty useless. Steve Meredith from the DARdpi was able to come up with enough pictures from the '70s that I was able to piece them together and get a pretty good idea of Water Street in the '70s.

Have you tried www.gpsvisualizer.com/draw? There's a Canadian Topo map which seems to look a bit like USGS maps, many of which seem to be older (anywhere from the late 80s or so back to maybe the 60s here). I found the tracks in the Digby area and the CA Topo map showed abandoned track winding down to the waterfront, while they're long gone from newer maps

I am really looking forward to this addition to the DAR. Great work!

All the tracks have been in for the Yarmouth Sub for almost two years, the scenery to the station for over a year. It was the last mile and a half that I had no 1970s photos of to work from. I had the blueprints of the tracks so I had no trouble finding where they should have gone based on the streets that hadn't change. What I was missing until Steve sent photos, were the building along Water Street. If you look on the current Google Earth offering half the buildings have been removed (burned or whatever). Lots of buildings still around but have changed appearances over the years, plus a few new ones that I didn't build.

In the States you have a great resource, https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer This was great while I was doing the FJ&G and Conn River routes. The best I could find for Nova Scotia was through the Provincial library, 1933 aerials that were really too old to be of any use.

I picked Digby at random as a test case. Having found Water Street in Yarmouth, the map on the site I listed does show both the tracks and the street, but the Canadian maps are nowhere near as detailed close-in as USGS maps. It may still help a bit... Do they have Sanborn maps in Canada?

No Sanborn maps up here, they were an American Insurance Company that didn't exist in Canada. I just tried you link again, it looked about the same as the maps I was using a couple of years ago in this area and had to stop and switch to Google Earth. The tracks just end as you enter Digby and then pick back up when you are leaving, but nothing in between. The hard part about this area is when you place markers in Google Earth, then convert them to open in MSTS RE, there is a 14 degree skew to deal with. It's not noticeable out in rural areas but when you get into larger areas like even Cornwallis when the streets are set up with on a 90 degree grid, you really have to pick an intersection near the middle and work from that one point and set up your streets according to how far they really are from that intersection and work from their. Very time consuming having to do that.