Thread: Older SLI locomotive rear general FA's

Default Older SLI locomotive rear general FA's

Many know I have been trying to redo some of the more older SLI models for those who do not have the money to get the newer ones. When Danny Beck gave us his models we were given a huge selection of models to use. Many have repainted and redone these models Yet everyone of them suffers from the same issues from the original.

No rear details. All the models are lacking in the basic items such has

No rear sand cap. every model seems to be missing this.
    No roof grab iron around the rear fan.
    No rear grab irons.
    No rear coupler lift bar.
    No rear air hoses.

This issue is not just standard to the EMD Locomotives as the GE Locomotives and the F40 have the same problems.

After talking with some of the talented members of the community I started thinking about a FA set that could address
    these issues. This is the bases of my Generic FA idea.

We know that there are 3 different bases for the EMD

4 axle standard platform
    6 axle standard platform
    6 axle extended platform

The GE seems to be standard between the GEVO and earlier Dash 9
    and we know there is the standard cab 4 axle GE IE the Santa Fe LMX units
    and the standard cab 6 axle GE

The F40 units seem to be the same.

Why can't we work together to make these FA for all the community to use and help bring these older units up to a better standard? We know OR can handle multiple FA so I would think this would be a positive for all.

If not I apologize for wasting people time.

Personally I think this is a wonderful idea to do updates to Locomotives that almost everyone has, but may not be using because of these discrepancies.
    A lot of work I can imagine, but a lot of us who not very talented would appreciate these and any other improvements.
    Thank You

Great idea! The problem is, most that could do this kind of work have long since left the hobby and the ones that are left don't care to share there work.

I support this idea wholeheartedly! While I have no 3d modeling skills, I could help with painting the files.
    Borislav
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic100353_2.gif

Thank you for the positive thoughts. It's a idea that should be done and I would love to see it. I know some are upset at others and refuse to share work or only with friends. Maybe we should have looked at how those people were treated and abused. I know some of the stories and I think if I was placed in he same position I might have done the same.

But that is not to be discussed here. I do know that some of the creators have real life commitments such as School and Uni. That is always first and foremost. Others have family to worry over and some may just be to old or just burned out to carry on.

The Question we need to ask ourselves is this.

Do we want new people in the community?

Yes we do new people keep the community alive and growing and helps us get new things developed and created in the community.

I can paint anything but when it comes to FA's and routes I become a mess and feel like a lost female trying to read a old map.

I know we have some of the most beautiful and talent painters and creators. And many people want what they have if they will not share you can't be mad at them it's a choice they made. I know of one that works for SLI/TS and that gives me hope when he creates something new cause it means we will see something new from them one day.

Think positive thoughts and give positive energy to those who create and you give them a reason to keep creating.
    Michelle

Hmmm...

I think we should not be griping about people not sharing. A lot of people have shared... and to be honest, yes, some of them (myself included) have been burned, misused and mistreated enough to basically "lose steam" and rethink things. Some decide to leave, some stay, some take long breaks.

I still create stuff (granted... mostly one of a kind stuff) and have made many offers to share or customize previous work. No Takers.
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter and Blender User
    formerly The Keystone Works (All Permissions Granted)
    In IRC at freenode #msts

I agree Pete. We should be grateful for what we do have now not many left to do such fine work now. I do appreciate everything you have made and given to the community along with everyone else who has given time. I have a huge understanding now of what people go thru to make things.

"I still create stuff (granted... mostly one of a kind stuff) and have made many offers to share or customize previous work. No Takers."
    I find this is far too common, where offers are made but there is no or little response to a sometimes popular item. I can see where Unique Items would have a very limited area of popularity, but even items unique to a certain geographical region can be made to fit somewhere. Buildings are another matter, they can represent almost anything, but Locomotives and Rolling stock, today more than ever seem to roam and turn up in the most unlikely of places.
    I agree with you Pete, some of us have been very grateful for what we now have and what we have progressed to. Michelle, your work is great and now operating on a lot of Railroads.

I think this is a great idea!

Brandon

I would love to help. I still have fun with MSTS With the coming of OPEN RAILS. I learned how to do some basic modifications, however, But i have to be careful with authorization and rules of the forum.

As has been said and remembered, many developers no longer respond to messages sent in order to authorize such modifications.

IN MY CASE, DO NOT SHARE ENTER THE GROUP RULE.
    Chimbica Dash8