Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The file library

What is this MSTS everybody keeps talking about? /s

Randy

I gave up on MSTS and just use OR I don't know what happened but MSTS just fails to load now so I gave up trying. But I still make Items for both communities.

I still have a fully functioning installation of MSTS that I use for the fabulous Mid East Plus package from UKTS. In addition to BIN, that installation also has the LAA patch and the wide screen patch. It runs flawlessly, no crashes at all. But that's because everything in that package was optimized to the capabilities of MSTS, both operationally and graphically.

Everything else I use OR.

As for contributions to the library, at least within the North American portion of the community, quantity is way down, but quality is way up. Quality comes at a price, and that price is the time and skill it takes for content creators to suitably detail their creations. That is especially important now that the details can be seen with such clarity. For example, perhaps some potential content creators are leery of releasing repaints on older shapes that have octagonal wheels.

So, while I too am alarmed at the recent dearth of North American contributions to the file library, I do enjoy running the best of MSTS content along with the new items specifically created for OR. And every new release for OR improves the situation.

MSTS is Microsoft Train Simulator.
    Roburt

Cute one Randy. ;-P
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter and Blender User
    formerly The Keystone Works (All Permissions Granted)
    In IRC at freenode #msts

I haven't used MSTS to run an activity for about 6 years--I've used OpenRails exclusively to run activities since then. From then until a year or two ago, I would use MSTS to create activities or do some simple route modifications. Once TSRE and its Activity Editor came out, I transitioned over to them and don't use MSTS at all. Now, if you want to know how OR has "hurt" train simming, here it is: TSRE and its AE--which do have numerous wonderful features never available in MSTS--have a significant learning curve and are not well integrated with OR, even now. They are also still "semi-beta" and can be "clunky" as a result. To be fair, the MSTS RE and AE were also still semi-beta and stayed that way, but people got used to working around their limitations. If OR would essentially "finish" Goku's work on TSRE and fully integrate it with OR, MSTS would be left in the dust for good. That demise of MSTS will happen anyway, at some point, because most content creators, payware or freeware, understand that MSTS is a dead end--and much of the new content that they are developing won't even run on it.

Shame too the company had a good chance to do something with MSTS yet abandoned it outright. I really wish SLI/TS would keep both ACE and DDS files and let the consumer choose what they wanted. We really need more car options I think we have a slight issue with this and we should be looking at how to fill those in. I recently asked about a skin from someone and they were asking for me to give them stuff I don't have. Everything I make or craft is uploaded to the Library I don't like to hide things from you all that is not fair and it goesw on way to much as it is now.

What ever happen to just sharing to be nice to each other?

Skimmed through the thread, tl:dr but some vague thoughts...

I would love to do another route for MSTS/OR but to be frank my attention span no longer commands the sort of time and effort that would be required. I also am rather more interested in model type routes where you can just set up a procession of trains to circle the layout, sit back and watch the schedule unfold. MSTS has never supported closed circuit type routes and even if possible with TSRE and OR you are still bound by the limitations of the Activity Editor.

I am more likely to do such a route in Trainz or DTG TS, at least they would also look reasonably up to date.

In addition, from a purely personal point of view I am now somewhat afflicted by a particular neuropathy which affects my hands. I probably shouldn't be spending as long on the PC as long as I do for fear of aggravating further damaged nerves, but I'm kind of determined not to let it beat me.

As regards the Indian routes, we have to be careful not to be xenophobic in this, but why on earth hasn't the Indian community set up their own site/servers in their own country (given the nation has poached much of the IT etc. work from Western countries). There probably should be a separate defined sub section on here for that specific content though.
    Vern.

The File Library does have separate sub-sections for MSTS Indian content, although the "New Files" section doesn't separate them, which is only fair since that section simply tracks the most recent additions.

What seems awkward, and has to be so as well for the creators and fans of Indian content in MSTS/OR, is that there doesn't seem to be any particular go-to localized site to be a repository of content for India. While many counties and regions in Europe have extensive sites still active and hosting localized content, no one seems to have been able to make a go of it for India. So while there may be various useful forums and blogs focused on Indian content, they have to then go to an outside repository for hosting files. I'm not saying they shouldn't be welcome here, but I'm surprised no one has been able to come up with a better localized solution as has been done elsewhere in the world. On the other hand, India is actually a vast and diverse nation (something that's often misunderstood) and this may still be the most workable solution -- simply because TrainSim tops the search results for MSTS and it's the most likely place to find content if you've just discovered MSTS.

MSTS-Roundhouse

With Open Rails and ZDSimulator
    Info

Keep in mind this site is largely funded by ad revenue, and all those file library users help generate revenue to keep the doors open... and that's good for everyone.