Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The file library

It's all good as long as routes are partitioned among installations properly. Most users have a legacy MSTS installation (the infamous 1MSTS folder) which has the standard ace-equipped version of roads and tracks in the global folder, along with ace textures in the route's textures folder. If you build routes with ace files, users should know they go here in the legacy folder and utilize that copy of Xtracks and Newroads.

The new payware stuff is DDS only and goes into the separate installation that has DDS versions of roads and tracks. Since these vendors do not sell cross-platform, there is no need for an Openrails subfolder or Include files.

I'm waiting for the day when more vendors distribute their own version of USTracks type track shapes. 3DTrains of course already has their own track and roads system, they should be positioning their routes to go into their own 'corporate' installation with their proprietary Global folder contents and not get combined with the legacy MSTS stuff either.

But the new payware routes really do have an ace-free goal. Stuff from photoshop goes straight to DDS without needing any TGATools intermediary.

Below are screens of directories of the new routes showing DDS only in rolling stock folders, DDS only in route texture folders, and how the new Xtracks is set up for DDS texture calls.

Like I said, I don't know how freeware routes distributed via a file library somewhere get released under some grand scheme where users are cherry picking these payware asset files from a list and still have them usable in MSTS without every user running an ACE texture generator factory and then opening up all those asset shape files to reassign texture calls. It's a concept that is dead before it began.

I seem to recall just that... some thread where it was explained how to use batch tools to process images to convert formats. (Imagemagik?)

Another concern is re: "true abandonware" In a number of cases now, there are people who will NEVER respond to a PAGE (relating to "Can I get permissoin") because, well, they are deceased. (Morbid I know) Now some might say... if someone has not been around since 2002 because they are just "no longer alive"... its actually probably just time to recreate those assets over again from scratch.

I recall not seeing eye-to-eye with Hawk over his viewpoints on sharing stuff and then trying to micro-manage how assets got used. (His answer was... to take his toys... go home... and share only with friends) I have always felt... do with my stuff what you will, always send me a copy, don't sell it, give me credit, and don't call it "yours". The reality I have come to accept... just put it out there, share with the community... trust your babies... let them go... By sharing, you already lost any sort of control. A few people heed your wishes... everyone else conveniently forgets. I learned to grow thicker skin.
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter and Blender User
    formerly The Keystone Works (All Permissions Granted)
    In IRC at freenode #msts

Hi Folks,

Re DDS conversions - you can use ConvIM X to batch convert or NVidia has a command line set of tools if you want to use a BAT file...

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Scott,

I just checked with that file -- ConvIM to batch convert. And see his name, Martin Wright on his webpage who created other programs like TGATool2, AceComp, DXTbmp for Microsoft Train Simulator also Route_Riter (Mike Simpson) too. I was surprised to see that he created all these programs for Flight Simulator too. Interesting to know about this guy.

John

John, DXTBMP is a very versatile tool that I use with SCS Software's American Truck Simulator and European Truck Simulator 2.

Geepster, there will be no Windows 11. 10 is the last version of Windows, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by cn bala View Post
    Hi Scott,

I just checked with that file -- ConvIM to batch convert. And see his name, Martin Wright on his webpage who created other programs like TGATool2, AceComp, DXTbmp for Microsoft Train Simulator also Route_Riter (Mike Simpson) too. I was surprised to see that he created all these programs for Flight Simulator too. Interesting to know about this guy.

John
    Hi John,

Yeah - he’s done quite a bit to support us...

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by justlooking View Post
    No one wants to call it out. Open Rails have had the greatest influence the demise of train simulator.
    Quote Originally Posted by charland View Post
    Not to get off topic here but just wondering, is there no virtual machine for Windows 10 where MSTS could be installed? I'm more worried with DDR files in Open Rails screwing up older routes and files. Paul :-)
    What has happened is, ORTS has split the community, The guys who enjoyed train simming, and we relied on for new models, have throw up their hands and walked away. Now this has extended to route builders as well. There is only one way this is going. Even Gaetan has not produced any new work for well over a year.

I'm not going to speak for Gaetan, but ORTS has nothing to do with my lack of production. In fact, ORTS has been a real godsend. My career has changed. I will go weeks, months without having even an hour to spend on TS.

Whe I DO have time, I'm using that time trying to improve each model I release. So, production has slowed to a trickle. It just time. Not ORTS, time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Default The file library

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Beale View Post
    What has happened is, ORTS has split the community, The guys who enjoyed train simming, and we relied on for new models, have throw up their hands and walked away. Now this has extended to route builders as well. There is only one way this is going. Even Gaetan has not produced any new work for well over a year.
    Hi Folks,

I don’t know how you would come to that conclusion ? As someone intimately familiar with both modeling and texturing for MSTS/ORTS - the modeling process is practically identical in both - ORTS just allows for far more freedom to produce far more detailed models that look far better in the sim than was possible in MSTS... I get better looking models with far less hassle - i can’t see how that would run off anyone who actually produced content...I also get better performance in ORTS and my AI trains can do real work - making up and breaking down trains - and helpers that attach, shove, and detach - all without user intervention... That’s not even bringing the advances of TSRE into play...

Yep - damn you ORTS... Maybe it was BIN that ran everyone off - who needs a front coupler ?

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Beale View Post
    I do not see how, its just as easy to repaint now as it always was, i use DXTBMP and that produces DDX files just as easily as TGA tools produced ace files, as my series of 2 bay hoppers showed its so easy that i produced both ace files and DDX files to include with my uploads. That way anyone who wanted to run in MSTS instead of ORTS could just define ace files when doing the shape file edits and use in MSTS as normal.

Intel i5 2400, Mobo ASUS P8H67, Win 7 Prof 64bit, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX960 4GB, SB Audigy, 6.25TB HDD's.