Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The file library

We have a problem inside the community and that is something we need to look at and that is the negative attitudes some have to others. reading some of the comments makes me wonder why people even try. I do what I can and thats all I can do. When I first started I had to ask people to help me some were willing to others were not. The strange rules the community has on reskins and permissions really doesn't make sense Unless it is a payware product. and I don't see any FA's as payware. Every person who has created a FA for me has only asked to be credited for making it and it can not be sold.

As to the comment about people dragging up outdated content of Danny Beck and redoing it. I ask you WHY NOT we have it how hard could it be to fix and make it more up todate? For some every bit of money is tight and must watched. So this gives those people a chance to have a decent looking locmotive. Yes there are older files that should be removed cause they are way out of date but as Neils has said that would be a massive undertaking.

As to answer Doug comment
    Apparently the issue really lays in the perceptions, misconceptions, and other detritus surrounding the use of textures.

So one of you Flight Sim types try to explain where the textures on your models come from. Certainly not Textures.com. Paragraph 6.3 (h) of the Terms of Use at Textures.com specifically prohibits the release of their content under any Open Source license.

Really ? I can point to files Texture.com has used from others and claimed it was there own. and people had to contact them to remove it. the same can be said about from shutter stock. If a Image is posted to the web and it has NO restrictions it can be used freely UNLESS stated other wise. Yet these 2 companies have taken images that were free usage and now makes them payware.

This community needs to have two important discussions before it can continue to move forward.

First, we all understood the strengths and limitations of MSTS. OR has allowed us to move beyond that, but what really is the 'new normal' for OR content? What should the community expect of new items uploaded to the library? Do we want to see ACE or DDS? Can the community agree on an accepted standard for doing 'inc' files? Etc. Currently there is much too much room for arguments and confusion.

Second, we really need to have a discussion on the ethics of reusing orphaned works, be they from the library or from anywhere else. For example, should we agree as a community that a 'found' item is being used fairly as long as the person uploading it isn't trying to claim credit for it, or make money from it, and the item never was payware? As long as we're not talking about uploading payware, then what we're dealing with is an ethical question that this group really needs to discuss.

To answer Geepster775, at least in part. In my case, I have purchased most every payware route that has come out in the last 10 years. Quite candidly, most of the ones that I have that are older than that, I seldom run anymore--they just look crappy. Sadly, a lot of freeware routes are less than inspiring, in part because they rely on old shapes and textures that should have been put to pasture years ago. That is one likely reason that a lot of route modifiers (for their own use) rely on newer, better payware objects.

I, too, have been reading about several new routes "soon to be released." No fault to the route developers who do the painstaking route building while having all kinds of other "life things" to do--I fully understand that--however, some of that "soon to be released" language for some routes has been out there for 3-5 years! "Soon" has a little different meaning to most folks, I think. Of course, I can count a number of routes heavily discussed on this forum that, for one reason or another, never got past the vaporware stage as far as public availability goes.

Beyond all of that, activity creation has become a complete dud. One seldom sees activities available for download, anymore. I get that--activity creation is extremely time-consuming to do right, it takes multiple steps and toggling between programs to do it for OR, and other various and sundry challenges. For example, I create a few activities for myself. I don't like to use just a few pieces of the same repetitive stock in the activity, so my loose consists and activity consists contain many different items that I've accumulated over the years, along with re-numbers, etc. that I've done for myself. Some of those items I've had long enough that I couldn't even tell someone where they came from and I wouldn't even know if they are still available. So, distributing an activity like that "as is" would likely involve the end-user to spend hours replacing stock before the activity could run. Also, when I create an activity I make it "real railroading accurate." For example, if putting a train together, walking it to knock down the handbrakes, doing proper brake tests, re-lining switches to their correct positions, etc. takes 2 1/2 hours in "real" railroad time, that's how my activity is designed to be run. Casual simmers usually don't like that.

As for the Indian content on the site, I don't use it, either, but that's my choice. The fact that it is the overwhelming new content showing up on T-Sim isn't the Indians fault--the fault lies with the scarce amount of North American content being put out there.

Interesting, that issue with Textures.com. I was aware Alamy Stock Photo, and Shutterstock were doing that, taking Public domain photos and others and reselling them as theirs, not Textures dot com.

So unless something is payware, then there are no protections on either shapes or textures?

Doug Relyea
    Making stuff that works, using outdated Software on outdated Hardware.

I miss Bob Pickering I have all his activities he did but then he dissapeared from the site.Also there are alot of good routes but no activity packs for them.As far as the Indian trains and activities coming into the file library it's all trains train sim stuff so it doesn't bother me it's there time I guess.

I want to echo on my end the sentiments of there needs to be a re-do to EULA's. My two-cents is if the author is uncontactable for a year, their content should be available as a general 'Free to re-use/re-release/modify for non-commercial release' general EULA and it should be up to us to keep track of that. It's also exceptionally annoying that some creators now only show up to show off their private goods to basically dangle nice things infront of people's nose.

HOWEVER, it is ALSO other's faults for wanting to sit back and do absolutely nothing content creation wise and only take what is put out there, then complain nothing is being put out.
    I myself have made contributions to this community, as limited as my skills are. I was working on a SAL Silver Meteor re-skin of the BLW set; however that has become nigh impossible due to another issue that plagues this community, that is no-one's fault.

Time, and health.
    After moving to PA, I don't have the free time to spend hours a day on the computer anymore. Not a lot of folks do, with trying to find jobs. I myself have taken up in the Fire Service, so.
    Then there's health. My eyes, even at 27, aren't what they used to be. As a type 1 diabetic, I had a event early this year that damaged my eyesight permanently. The TL;DR is I forgot a needle with my insulin, and the hospital delayed on providing me insulin after a buffet trip for 2.5 hours until a blood test could come back, after which my blood sugar was 1062(59 for our UK friends).
    Add a week in ICU for DKA(Diabetic Keto-Acidosis, look it up, nasty stuff), my eyesight has not been the same, and I've had to have repeated treatment between injections and laser surgery to stop internal bleeding. My colorblindness which was, notable, before has gotten worse.
    I'm completely red blind, full Protanopia. ( Here is a simulation of it,t o me both of these frames look identical. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcB_NhUNP0I )

I'm trying to turn my own attention in my free time to .sms design, and here's hoping. But, as said, there's a number of issues why people aren't working as much on NA content anymore, and not all of it is preventable.

Quote Originally Posted by justlooking View Post
    No one wants to call it out. Open Rails have had the greatest influence the demise of train simulator.
    True words.
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer

Quote Originally Posted by ftldave View Post
    True words.
    Hi Folks,

As a modeler/texture guy - had it not been for ORTS - I would have walked away from the entire Train Simulator genre - as a whole - long ago...

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by justlooking View Post
    No one wants to call it out. Open Rails have had the greatest influence the demise of train simulator.

I agree, too, but I also consider it a badge of honor.

MSTS won't run forever. Eventually, MS will dispatch a version of Windows 11 or whatever they will call it without support for 20 year old applications. Or they may not wait that long, and instead issue a mandatory patch for win 7 / 8.1 / 10 that shuts off all that ancient stuff sooner in the interest of bloat control. When granddaddy finally passes away, will you find yourself unable to spend the inheritance without embracing the OR platform?

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    I agree, too, but I also consider it a badge of honor.

MSTS won't run forever. Eventually, MS will dispatch a version of Windows 11 or whatever they will call it without support for 20 year old applications. Or they may not wait that long, and instead issue a mandatory patch for win 7 / 8.1 / 10 that shuts off all that ancient stuff sooner in the interest of bloat control. When granddaddy finally passes away, will you find yourself unable to spend the inheritance without embracing the OR platform?
    Not to get off topic here but just wondering, is there no virtual machine for Windows 10 where MSTS could be installed? I'm more worried with DDR files in Open Rails screwing up older routes and files.

Paul :-)