Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: The file library

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    Hi Don,

I believe this is the original - real deal - I believe you also need his libraries installed - separate download - to use any of his software...

https://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm

Regards,
    Scott
    Thanks for the response Scott.

Regards
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by burgerbern View Post
    yes you can view them in Goku's consist editor but you cannot use that to do what i just mentioned, nor can you use 1PosTool in Goku's editor which i use to set up where my smoke comes out of the stack and where all the lights positions are exactly, you can only do that in Shape viewer and shape viewer cannot see dds files
    Yes, this is exactly the problem with DDS textures. Also, it is unclear to me if successive generations of DDS compression does not result in degrading of the original DDS texture. Once you have converted DDS to ACE, and do not use DXT1 compression, you experience ZERO loss from each edit you do. In this manner I view DDS as a final product format, not something to edit with.

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    But why would anyone want to? Nostalgia? They enjoy the duplication of effort? It's what their circle of piracy participants want? They appreciate redundancy just to deliver 'choice'? They want shapes that are too powerful to ever run in MSTS to just be MSTS compatible on the label but not actually be usable?
    This answers part of your statement I am sure,
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...20#post1957520

Piracy? Really?!

If people can't move away from a proprietary-ish texture format that needs special software to a more native universal one, then the cause of wisdom is already lost.
    Even GIMP (also free) requires a "special" download to modify DDS textures. Perhaps a more "universal" format would be TGA or BMP(no Alphas). Is this point not really moot, as for .ACE format we already have "free" tools that have been around for a long time? The "proprietary-ish" aspect has been circumvented without a peep from Kuju or BillGates O/S.

I count an average of 500+ textures in these new routes, not counting seasonal. Sure, run your batch file to convert 500+ DDS to ACE. But is there a batch file process to open up all the shapes that call upon these textures and reassign all references from .dds to .ace buried in the text? Even if someone pulls that off, they can't share their effort.
    Perhaps it is a little bit of an exercise, but not really impossible to do with tools like RouteRiter and a free text editor like Notepad++. The latter can modify multiple files at once and is VERY fast. Their effort might not be able to be "shared" or are we still talking about "piracy" here, but certainly the method can be. This was not that hard to do:
    http://www.elvastower.com/forums/ind...ost__p__251857

As stated in another post for this topic, I view DDS as a final product, not an editable format.

I think that their are many people who modify things but do not post either the method or the item itself. This self limiting is due to the constraints of onerous EULA's. This prescripted control coupled with heavy handed "baseball/cricket bat enforcement" of any ideas that are even remotely outside the box has lead to what we have today. So many things that I have, that I cannot show you. When we have all passed on, who are the winners here? Clearly this hobby is a shame. Unlike physical models, all the knowledge, all the work, vanishes into the ether. I applaud those who combine methods that allow for some tolerance. I frown on the idea that any expression/creation is locked in stone, never to be revisited. We have a complete dearth of actual models (yes, everything, including the shape file) to modify, to build on. When we all pass on, who wins, and for what possible outcome? Any mention of methods that we can use, even privately, to modify models are met with complete scorn.

From what I can see, I encourage those who are not paying for anything to examine the damage they have wrought. To those who do purchase a great deal, and I do that with regularity, we reserve (at least I do) the right to think outside of the box that I have payed with my hard earned money. If I choose not to share my knowledge, you only have yourselves to blame, and you are the poorer for it. Likewise the knowledge you cannot share here, impoverishes me as well. How is this a good thing, whether you do this for free or for money?

So many of us have our own private models/layouts etc, to appease who? When we have all passed on, who will benefit?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by EldoradoRailroad View Post
    In this manner I view DDS as a final product format, not something to edit with.
    i agree with that statement, i always add ace files made from the dds files for all rolling stock as soon as i purchase any new Trainsimulations route or for that matter any piece of rolling stock that comes in the dds format. i do that for the same reason so that there is no degradation of quality, i use the ace files for any work i want to do on repaints, i then save my resulting edit as ace as well as dds but using DXTbmp's DXT5 setting as when i first researched the dds format i found a post written by someone in the flight sim community stating it was the best format of the DXT variant saves for quality retention, (i notice that trainsimulations save as DXT3) its exactly how i did all the repaints for the 2 Bay hoppers and the BN GP40s.

I also re-save any ace files saved as DXT1 especially 2048 x 2048 versions to normal ace (with or without alpha as needed) as soon as i get them, again to stop any further degradation of the quality and in the case of the 2048 just so i can see them for editing as well

Intel i5 2400, Mobo ASUS P8H67, Win 7 Prof 64bit, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX960 4GB, SB Audigy, 6.25TB HDD's.

I have no words of wisdom to add to this thread, I just prefer to us Shape Viewer to look at my rolling stock. I know that the shape that contains .dds can be viewed in both Goku's Consist Editor and Shape Viewer, I just find it handier to click on the .s file in the wagon folder and have it come up right away without having to go to another program to do it.

Don

Hi all,

I think the contribution that the Indian community is making to the content of the file library is wonderful and I believe it should continue. However, it is incumbent on TS.com to be a little more careful about what is uploaded to the library.

I downloaded the file cng_demu.zip, MSTS Indian Railways New Cng Demu. This file contains the CABVIEW file of the ACELA loco which is proprietary property of Micro$oft.

Perhaps there should be an approval process before files are posted.

Fred

"proprietary property of Micro$oft."

Hate to break the news Fred, the entire program is the proprietary property of Microsoft, so that would also go for every North American route that's been built in the last what, 15 years.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by charland View Post
    "proprietary property of Micro$oft."

Hate to break the news Fred, the entire program is the proprietary property of Microsoft, so that would also go for every North American route that's been built in the last what, 15 years.

Paul
    Paul,

The point that I am trying to bring out is that when one re skins an SLI loco the readme.txt states that you must own the such and such route in order to have the shape file. In this case the cabview file should not have been supplied. The readme.txt should have said "you must copy the cabview file from the ACELA engine". Can you imagine what SLI would do if people would provide the shape file along with the re skin.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by justlooking View Post
    No one wants to call it out. Open Rails have had the greatest influence the demise of train simulator.
    I suspect I do not agree but on the chance I am misunderstanding your meaning, could you elaborate / provide some evidence?

Thx.
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

Hi Fred,

From what I gather, you are welcome to reskin any SLI products and share those files as long as you are doing so for free, but you are not allowed to share or distribute their shape files, people have to purchase one of their products to get them. Actually, thus is more liberal then a lot of companies.

MSTS is abandonware, MS walked away from it the year or two after it came out. I'm sure if you want to go down the road of not allowing people to copy the ACELA cab to be used on another unit, then you might also scrap every file that people have made over the years as they may contain something from the original game.

I seem to recall that years ago MS did give people permission to use whatever came in the game for anything but commercial purposes.

Paul :-)