Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The file library

Lack of NA content is no ones fault but our own.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Nels_Anderson View Post
    Well yes I can certainly chime in, but I'm hardly able to fix this by myself. I am not a content creator, I'm a librarian. I can sort, describe and organize but I'm not the one making the items in the library.

I've tried to create the best possible home for the community to share, just as I've done with the much more successful flightsim community. But it takes the entire community to make it successful.

So then, with the complaining over (?) what can be done? I agree with Scott that part of the problem is the self-destructive EULA that some people use. There are people in the world who create free content under GNU or even Public Domain who find it just as rewarding as those who put uber-restrictive terms on their creations. I think of X-Plane for example where there are multiple huge libraries of objects available for free reuse, making scenery creation relatively easy--and consequently lots of people make X-Plane scenery. If we had that same sort of thing in the trainsim community, route creation would be much easier. Just one example, but it shows a different mind-set that exists other places that have helped make them successful.
    I applude you Neil's you have a hard and demanding job running this site. And I really do not think you get the credit you so rightfully deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by hiball 3985 View Post
    Lack of NA content is no ones fault but our own.
    You are 100% correct it is all our own fault. but as Scott and Neils have stated the restrictive rules hurt and the lack of shared content from other developers like those from TS SLI hurts too and breeds resentment from the rest of the community When they post the items they created for themselves and for a few friends. Yes it is their RIGHT to do so but it does hurt.

Lets be honest the talent pool is here but many refuse to share and some refuse to for the most childish reasons. and before people say other wise there was many times I could have followed the same route as the others did BUT I refused to and stuck it out cause I care about the whole community not just one negative nancy rant.
    Last edited by MsSheare; 10-09-2019 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MsSheare View Post
    I applude you Neil's you have a hard and demanding job running this site. And I really do not think you get the credit you so rightfully deserve.

You are 100% correct it is all our own fault. but as Scott and Neils have stated the restrictive rules hurt and the lack of shared content from other developers like those from TS SLI hurts too and breeds resentment from the rest of the community When they post the items they created for themselves and for a few friends. Yes it is their RIGHT to do so but it does hurt.

Lets be honest the talent pool is here but many refuse to share and some refuse to for the most childish reasons. and before people say other wise there was many times I could have followed the same route as the others did BUT I refused to and stuck it out cause I care about the whole community not just one negative nancy rant.

Many thanks to you for sharing what you have done, it's a breath of fresh air to see it posted in the library
    Jim

Thank you Jim,

I love making content for the community it's a slow process for me to make items. Usually I spend many hours reserching before I actually start working on the car. So for 1 car I might spent at least 8 hours serching for images or picking people brains for information before I even start. the Monon cars are a good example of that. I have 9 projects in the shed waiting for reapairs and upgrades.

A prime example is the NS SD38 in the library I had to ship it over to Neil cause the lights are set up backwards and it rings two diffrent bells. NOW what does this mean? Well every other SD38 has the same problems and the textures need to be repaired and redone.

Hi Michelle,

Hah - someone else who values "critical feedback" - most welcome and most valuable in my book...

You should look at Erick Cantu's NAV stock - I think he even includes paint kits now - I believe it's of the same era you seem to prefer (although I'm no expert on that)... While some know of Erick's high quality work here - many are probably not aware of his absolute legendary status among Flight Simulator enthusiasts - he spent many years on that side of the fence building just about every airliner that ever existed - the guy is one of the most gifted modelers we've ever seen... I'm hoping for some good coal hoppers from him at some point...

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/conten...oobie-Box-Cars

Regards,
    Scott

The restrictive EULA's prevent a lot of items from being uploaded.

For example, I have some nice looking repaints/re-configurations of some steam engines on my hard drive. Not one can be distributed. Why? Because the EULA requires no distribution UNLESS I have permission from the author. Unfortunately, said author(s) has gone AWOL and all attempts to contact have gone unanswered, so such EULA-neutered models will remain on my hard drive for my own personal use.

If monetary gain is not involved in the creation of models/etc, I simply fail to understand the uber-restrictive mindset that most freeware content creators historically displayed. (And I assume some continue to display.)

Along with Nels and some of the others, I too, suspect such EULA's (and shrinking demographics) are a contributing factor to the trickle of North American content being uploaded for distribution.

In many ways, we (as a community) have been our own worst enemy and all the "You can't share this without my permission" attitude has definitely contributed to where we're at now. I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time, but now it sort of sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    Hi Michelle,

Hah - someone else who values "critical feedback" - most welcome and most valuable in my book...

You should look at Erick Cantu's NAV stock - I think he even includes paint kits now - I believe it's of the same era you seem to prefer (although I'm no expert on that)... While some know of Erick's high quality work here - many are probably not aware of his absolute legendary status among Flight Simulator enthusiasts - he spent many years on that side of the fence building just about every airliner that ever existed - the guy is one of the most gifted modelers we've ever seen... I'm hoping for some good coal hoppers from him at some point...

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/conten...oobie-Box-Cars

Regards,
    Scott

Hi Scott! I do have his Box Cars and I love them. I want to get his flat car set in time. I really just need to learn the diffrences between the loads and what Northeast cars I want. I really need a good Waffle style box car for the DH and while the SLI version is correct the door style is not and they had many of these cars.
    Last edited by MsSheare; 10-09-2019 at 09:56 AM.

Current Projects:

DOT105-500W
    Conrail N9 Caboose "update" MOAR POLYS
    NS MOW Gondola "update" MOAR POLYS
    Modern Box Car

They will be done... whenever... Though I could really use some ORTS physics help on the NS MOW and others.

<RANT ON>
    Oh, and the "Can't use without permission" nowadays is just crap. We are our own worst enemy there. What I mean is... nobody *outside* of MSTS world seems to read the fine print. Railroadiana vendors use my fonts on TSHIRTS for sale. (This is confirmed by me, I own one) Creators in OTHER train sims use my fonts and jebus... I get nothing... and all *I* ask for is credit... and if you ask for money for anything that uses my fonts... I appreciate being told... I have my reasons for that... since I don't want cease and desist orders from lawyers.
    <RANT OFF>

Don't ask me when things will get done... I have many hobbies and still work for a living.
    Last edited by pwillard; 10-09-2019 at 01:29 PM.
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter and Blender User
    formerly The Keystone Works (All Permissions Granted)
    In IRC at freenode #msts

I may get into trouble here but hey - I'm married and am in trouble most of the time any way so what the heck.

Regarding the content where the EULA prohibits redistribution and the original author has "skipped the country", so to speak. What would happen if Nels posted a notice stating that if the author doesn't post or participate in the forum for a specific time frame - say 90 days, the EULA will be declared to be null and void and the product will be considered "Open Stock". If the author responds in that length of time, the item remains protected, otherwise, it would be considered free to use.

Just a thought??
    Larry Steiner
    Grand Rapids, Michigan

My thoughts?
    A lot of us has basically, stepped away, account of working 12 hours a day, 5 to 6 days a week, all year, with very little time for family life, house chores, and so on, let alone a MSTS/ORTS project, that only so few will actually get use out of.
    Another course of leaving is, a lot of sour apples and gimmie pigs have pushed in, demanding everything, rather than learning their own ways and helping contribute.

Indian content? cool, let them enjoy it, after all, we have enjoyed it for years, and I'm sure they were in the same boat, man, look at all this North American content we don't want!
    Train Sim World/Train Simulator 2020 are in the same boat, people cry for certain things from Dovetail, but don't want to contribute. While on the Xbox One X version, it's kind of a loss cause on hoping for a kit to create our own content.

I still do stuff, but it wasn't enough for a lot of people here, including you, the original poster. So why should I myself, even bother, when a lot of folks don't appreciate the effort anymore? In my time, I helped a lot of folks get started, some outshined me, no hard feelings, good on them, they contributed a lot in their time too, most fell out and moved on. A lot of us have.

So, I think you may want to just get use to the current situation, because I'm afraid, it isn't going to change.
    https://i.imgur.com/LPZNEX4.png