Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The file library

Default The file library

I hate to bring this subject up because no doubt I'll get cut to pieces for it but I'm to the point to where I really don't care. Like the post or not, I'm sure many will agree the Indian content in the file library has just gotten a little out of hand......especially when it seems to be the SAME thing over and over again! I've been around this hobby long enough to know that MANY people have been burned and ripped off! Sadly, many were so upset with it that they simply walked away. Needless to say we've lost A LOT of good talent over some bad issues. With that said, is it REALLY too much to ask for a little more AMERICAN content? I don't think most would care if it's straight MSTS or Open Rails supported at this point. I've also noticed a fair number of INTERESTING projects in the works ( I suppose ) being done but yet I come home everyday from work and this is usually the 3rd site I check. Every day it's the same old Indian content that I'm sure tickles them to death but since this IS ( or was ) mainly an American site, How about a little more content?

P.S Now I'll sit back, get the popcorn and wait for the hate mail to flood it!

I am agree with you, no content in file library worth to download, so I refrain my self to download any Indian contents long back.
    I do not want to discourage people here, but people should look after quality content, another thing which I really dislike is PATCH. Please make any sticky post to encourage creator to create more quality and interesting stuff. Sorry if I hurt any sentiment here.

IMO I think a few NA content creators have subjected themselves to their own projects nowadays. Re-skinning railcars and locos from payware based products from SLI or elsewhere. That's what I had to do for the last little while. I'm using my holiday time to reskin some items just for personal use. Not much new likeable content at all for NA based railroading in the FL lately thats for sure.
    Rory

Sadly I too agree with what has been said I can only create so much and we being over run with Indian content that is multiple reloads of the same product. I need to actually search by name to find what I want to avoid all the India content.

Lastly the lack of actual payware content is a issue too. We need 4 and 5 bay hoppers, 40 foot Hi boxcars, Dot 105 Tankers from the 70's chemical and petroleum versions. 40 foot flat cars and there are many others I know. I honestly try to make what I think you gentlemen would like to have not what I want.

Here's something really ironic -
    Last Friday, Marek Lemow posted a very well done set of passenger cars for the Ghan and Indian Pacific luxury passenger trains that have run in Australia for decades. The file name is au_gsr.zip

However, possibly since it includes the word Indian in the title, it is currently filed under Indian Passenger Cars! Lest we forget, the Indian Pacific was named for the oceans that it connects. The Indian Ocean touches four continents.

I highly recommend that all passenger train aficionados should try this set. It will look right at home anywhere in North or South America, and it blends well with equipment from the USA and Canada. And of course there are some very well done Australian routes available from Steam4Me.

You know, I see lots of people pissing and moaning about how there's vary little new NA content, but there's one thing I don't see nearly as much of: people actually doing something about it. That being said, even some of those that do make new NA stuff either restrict themselve to sharing with close friends rather than allowing the rest of the communtiy to enjoy their work, or just don't share at all. This community is unlikely to thrive if everyone either complains or keeps everything to themselves

Been trying to tell the Admins few weeks ago.... so.... I tried..... Ill let Nels chime in on this one, if he can read this posting....
    Dave Edwards

Hi Folks,

I guess I'm more a live and let live type guy - I've got no problems with the current content - it's easy enough to sift through what you're looking for... The deluge of "Indian" content doesn't change the fact that hardly anyone creates anything anymore for MSTS/ORTS in "Other than Indian" categories - which is the real problem... We were a small niche community before the advent of Trainz/DTG/Run8 - so that just fragmented us further and we've lost a great deal of talent to those sims over the years... LOL - more isn't always better...

One of the other issues we've faced as a community - is the extreme protectionism shown by the few of us who do develop content - good content that can't be used or shared due to restrictive EULA's - is a real shame... As a freeware guy - I only have one requirement on my stuff - don't use it for profit - keep it free...

I've looked around at the other sims and it's amazing how much high quality shared content is available - I've seen people build absolutely gorgeous routes in Trainz - and not model a single asset themselves - they're merely pulling content from community libraries - try that in MSTS/ORTS... This is really the way it should be... We need to showcase what we do have - better - to draw in fresh talent - while getting better at sharing...

Modeling is not hard - Sketchup makes modeling accessible to the masses - as it's pretty simple to use - and I believe it's still free... Gimp is a free texture program if you don't want to spend money on payware products... There are plenty of tutorials around to help you get started and people willing to answer questions if you get stuck...

As stated previously - you can't complain too much about the lack of content - unless you're out there in the trenches investing your own time and sharing same...

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by scottb613; 10-09-2019 at 08:59 AM.

Well yes I can certainly chime in, but I'm hardly able to fix this by myself. I am not a content creator, I'm a librarian. I can sort, describe and organize but I'm not the one making the items in the library.

I've tried to create the best possible home for the community to share, just as I've done with the much more successful flightsim community. But it takes the entire community to make it successful.

So then, with the complaining over (?) what can be done? I agree with Scott that part of the problem is the self-destructive EULA that some people use. There are people in the world who create free content under GNU or even Public Domain who find it just as rewarding as those who put uber-restrictive terms on their creations. I think of X-Plane for example where there are multiple huge libraries of objects available for free reuse, making scenery creation relatively easy--and consequently lots of people make X-Plane scenery. If we had that same sort of thing in the trainsim community, route creation would be much easier. Just one example, but it shows a different mind-set that exists other places that have helped make them successful.

Sadly many have been burning and pushed past the point of return. Hence why you see no content from them yet they showcase new items all the time for themselves. Having seen first hand at how some act when it comes to content it tends to upset people. Thankfully I had people who gave me heads up to negative and hurtful comments. But over all 90% of the bad comments I did get I never considered bad, just input and things I did wrong. It was just worded very rough.

Some I know are just on a serious break Pete Abrams being one of them. I know many are not happy about DW but that is the owners personal choice and we should respect that.

TS/SLI still make good quality content but IMHO they need to branch out and make more variety of cars and make them both DDS or Ace. There just so much we really need from the 50 60 70 for railroad cars they could just make sets of cars like they did before.

TT and MLT are still around and isn't Ian updating the older routes?

Many have told me privately they want too do what I do but it's not that easy for them so I usually ask them. I am only one person and I have a huge back log of content I need to create and things for myself. The items slowly being done from me are those items on that list.
    I am such a nit picker and worst critic of my own work. I have items people are working on for me I know In time they will get to them so I will NOT push or demand they get them done. I would rather have it 100% correct.

Another thing I have noticed is some of the better developers will NOT answer emails when I have asked for help this could be due to numerous things But a simple answer is not that hard gentlemen and would be considered polite and a nice thing to do.

Taking criticism is something some need to work on. one of my fave people for criticism is CSXFan Shawn. If I make something for the Northeast I would expect him to tell me I screwed it up Like wise I have Dave Edwards Who will tell me right off if I have it wrong for CR and PC and the same with Neil, Rick Berg, Greg Davies, Parker Boots, and once in a while Frank Burns will pass on some good criticism as well. I don't care if I spent hours doing it if it is wrong then I want to know in a constructive way not a verbal beat down.

I have seen that happen and we all see the end results. Communication is a 2 way flow of information some have NOT learned that in school or have forgotten it or just refuse to do so. And we really need to learn how to communicate better with each other.

Michelle
    Last edited by MsSheare; 10-09-2019 at 09:46 AM.