Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: The file library

Yes, yes it is.

Clearly what people are seeing is the equivalent of what this site looked like in 2002 when new stuff appeared in large numbers on a daily basis. A lot of stuff *HAS* been created for North American content since 2002 but what is needed and what is not getting done is newer versions of this content with details and with non-Flint-stone wheels. I'm currently trying... but I'm going to admit... my tools are old, my techniques are old and I'm still baffled by the WAG/ENG requirements to actually make something work correctly in ORTS. (result: lots of modeling work... and then I come to a screeching halt)
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter and Blender User
    formerly The Keystone Works (All Permissions Granted)
    In IRC at freenode #msts

Quote Originally Posted by pwillard View Post
    my tools are old, my techniques are old
    To paraphrase the Terminator, your tools and techniques may be old but they're not obsolete!

and I'm still baffled by the WAG/ENG requirements to actually make something work correctly in ORTS.
    If you cant be a one man band, (and who is?) then join a band. My suggestion would be to create a model then create a post asking for help with the eng/wag files. If in the rare event no one offered to help, use an eng/wag file from a MSTS equivalent piece of rolling stock and change the weight, dimensions and reference to the shape file to suit your model. OR will read native MSTS eng/wag files and still provide a reasonable simulation.

Cheers,

Marek.

Yes, yes it is.

Clearly what people are seeing is the equivalent of what this site looked like in 2002 when new stuff appeared in large numbers on a daily basis. A lot of stuff *HAS* been created for North American content since 2002 but what is needed and what is not getting done is newer versions of this content with details and with non-Flint-stone wheels. I'm currently trying... but I'm going to admit... my tools are old, my techniques are old and I'm still baffled by the WAG/ENG requirements to actually make something work correctly in ORTS. (result: lots of modeling work... and then I come to a screeching halt)
    Hi Pete,

Well - freight car rolling stock is not much different than a tender and I've spent a great deal of time making ORTS physics files (ENG/WAG) - if you need anything - just holler...

ORTS ENG/WAG files are massively simpler than their old MSTS equivalents and actually use very few of the legacy parameters...

Peter's "Coals to Newcastle" site seems to be the definitive guide - complete with calculators, tables, and working examples defining every parameter - it's worth a gander if unfamiliar...

https://www.coalstonewcastle.com.au/

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by MsSheare View Post
    Shame too the company had a good chance to do something with MSTS yet abandoned it outright. I really wish SLI/TS would keep both ACE and DDS files and let the consumer choose what they wanted.
    With DXTBMP, it's possible to convert DDS textures to ACE textures.

Quote Originally Posted by dredick View Post
    A search shows many sites to get DXTBMP from. Is there a recommended safe site I can use?

Thanks
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by jdonald1 View Post
    A search shows many sites to get DXTBMP from. Is there a recommended safe site I can use?

Thanks
    Don
    Hi Don,

I believe this is the original - real deal - I believe you also need his libraries installed - separate download - to use any of his software...

https://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by dredick View Post

But why would anyone want to? Nostalgia? They enjoy the duplication of effort? It's what their circle of piracy participants want? They appreciate redundancy just to deliver 'choice'? They want shapes that are too powerful to ever run in MSTS to just be MSTS compatible on the label but not actually be usable?

If people can't move away from a proprietary-ish texture format that needs special software to a more native universal one, then the cause of wisdom is already lost.

I count an average of 500+ textures in these new routes, not counting seasonal. Sure, run your batch file to convert 500+ DDS to ACE. But is there a batch file process to open up all the shapes that call upon these textures and reassign all references from .dds to .ace buried in the text? Even if someone pulls that off, they can't share their effort. Do we expect all people who buy or download to do the same on their own? Newbies too? What about all those DDS Terrtexes? Convert them is the easy part, changing the calling references to actually use the converted files is the hard part.

I'm in the process of setting up a parallel "generation 2" installation of Open Rails that only contains routes and equipment that are DDS only. Material is not added or combined into the Trainset if it does not meet some strict conditions. Shapes have LODs that are optimized for Open Rails (no more wheels dropping away during intense camera zooms), have native Open Rails-only physics for all stock, no overpowering ejection of exhaust, etc, etc, etc, devoid of all the bunghole issues of we usually see trying to run MSTS stock in Open Rails. The objective is to produce a series of videos that truly tests the physics of Open Rails compared to real world North American conditions. Things like can a pair of GP40's really lug an 8,000 ton train (0.8 hp/t) across varying terrain. How do GP40s compare with SD40s? Also covering things like what happens when you lose a unit to mechanical issues and whether you can stay out of the red zone on the needle. Verifying how stopping and starting or dynamic brake effectiveness or wheel bearing temperature changes under all the above conditions.

I sure hope some of the steam guys creating things for the friction bearing era and some first generation power guys are also doing the same. Streamlined and nimble, no redundancy, pure "generation 2" stuff.

I use DXTBMP to convert the files when I am looking to browse through shapes/textures outside of the sim, or when I want to edit textures to my liking.
    I don't know of, or have tools to help me do this any other way.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

i create ace files only for engines and wagons when they only have dds files for one reason, that is so i can use Shape viewer to aid me in setting up where FA's should be or checking on resizing FA's to fit on another shape, yes you can view them in Goku's consist editor but you cannot use that to do what i just mentioned, nor can you use 1PosTool in Goku's editor which i use to set up where my smoke comes out of the stack and where all the lights positions are exactly, you can only do that in Shape viewer and shape viewer cannot see dds files

But in ORTS i run so that the dds files are used not the aces,

so to summarise i only create ace files for that reason and as it would be pointless to delete them and recreate them everytime i wanted to edit something i keep both in the folder with the shape set for ace files but ORTS set to use the dds textures, i never though alter any route files, if like the new Trainsimulations routes they are dds then i leave them that way i have 6 TB of HDD so space is not a problem.

Intel i5 2400, Mobo ASUS P8H67, Win 7 Prof 64bit, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX960 4GB, SB Audigy, 6.25TB HDD's.

I have so much that is Ace files Geepster. I don't think I could even make the time to convert them over to DDS. I like the option to run both honestly. I put all my DDS routes in one seperate folder so they do not conflict with the others. I just half to be realistic on what I can do honestly and not screw up my game files like I did before.