Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MILW Routes

This REALLY looks good. Nice Terrex.

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

Looks very nice,pity you are not making it available to all the neanderthals like me who prefer MSTS.

Ragtimer, I'm praying like the devil that it will run in MSTS.

Maybe with some modifications it can be converted.

Robert

Well, I'm not so familiar with the "technical" part of route building, so I suppose we should discuss the possible problems we'll face when trying to run the route (which is edited with TSRE and tested in ORTS only) in MSTS.

First, the 8196x8196 pixel aerial DM textures that You can see in the screenshots, well they're not a problem, because they aren't distributable. If You want them, You have to set them up individually with TSRE. Fairly easy thing. But if I remember correctly, the DMs created with TSRE won't show up in MSTS...

Second, the large amount of terrtex files could be problem in my opinion. Now there are nearly 9000 files of unique terrtex in my folder, and it'll grow. Many of them are 1024x1024. I even don't know how I will distribute this... The route folder is over 18 GB. Of course the terrtexes will be compressed in the end, but even then it'll be a biggie.

Third, the signalling. On the Spokane line I used the same technique that I saw on the existing sections. I mean even buried signals have been placed, though ORTS don't needs them (if I know well). But no testing have been done yet.

Any other possible issues?

Hi Oliver,

Remember the DM attempt for the Mcoa2?

I converted those to 2048x2048 without loss of detail. MSTS can handle up to 4096 but hates it. 2048 seems to be the largest that will run with out constant stuttering.

I think the DM textures could be distributed. The Berninabahn route is available or "was" and used photo real textures. I'd contact Lukas A. Lusser about that issue. He is still working on the Swiss route and might know the do's and don'ts on that aspect.

The TSRE5 method of generating terrain seems to be incompatible with MSTS. I tried earlier to generate a test tile in TSRE5. It works ok in ORTS. But is missing a bunch of files that cause MSTS to throw it's toys out the pram.

Robert

So any tiles that I generated in TSRE, wont work in MSTS. Pretty bad...

I don't see that as a problem, just a preference. There will always be dinosaurs like me that insist a route should
    run in MSTS or ORTS, and there will be others that want the better detail etc. My only gripe with a route like this,
    is all those terrain texture files. 9000 and growing - likely I'll not try to download this beast even though I have
    a first class membership. I'll grant you that it looks better, and certainly painting the ballast lines in TSRE is
    easier & faster than laying strips of texture, but 9000+?. Well let's wait & see if it can be downloaded-----

J. H. Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)

Oliver,

With some manual labor, it might be possible to add in the missing files to get things to work.

It's definitely frustrating that TSRE5 is not 1:1 compatible with both simulators.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by landnrailroader View Post
    I don't see that as a problem, just a preference. There will always be dinosaurs like me that insist a route should
    run in MSTS or ORTS, and there will be others that want the better detail etc. My only gripe with a route like this,
    is all those terrain texture files. 9000 and growing - likely I'll not try to download this beast even though I have
    a first class membership. I'll grant you that it looks better, and certainly painting the ballast lines in TSRE is
    easier & faster than laying strips of texture, but 9000+?. Well let's wait & see if it can be downloaded-----

J. H. Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)
    Hi Jerry, This is one area that I quickly learned to tone it down a bit when using Mosaic. It's really easy to let things get out of hand.

These days, I recommend using a set of textures and limiting to just what is in the set. My current favorite is the old Trunda terrain textures available from Steam4me.

Greenery Vegetation Set & Greenery Terrtex Set

https://msts.steam4me.net/utilities/index.html#trunda

Using Mosaic for the track is ok. But the amount of files can balloon quickly even just doing the track work.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by NW 2156 View Post

These days, I recommend using a set of textures and limiting to just what is in the set. My current favorite is the old Trunda terrain textures available from Steam4me.

Greenery Vegetation Set & Greenery Terrtex Set

https://msts.steam4me.net/utilities/index.html#trunda

Robert
    Thanks Robert,

I was wondering what site had this file. I lost this file on one of the CDs I had it on that I misplaced. I never thought of checking the S4M site. I love the shrubbery in the set. Perfect for along ROWs.
    - Mark -