Thread: Windows 10 and MSTS Activity Editor

Default Windows 10 and MSTS Activity Editor

Hello to all,

I have installed this week Windows 10 and everything works fine running routes and activities under Open Rails. One exception is that the MSTS Activity Editor (AE) crashes when trying to open it to create or modify activities.

I have done some searching in the forum and found nothing that could help find the issue.

I have a NVIDIA GT740 video card, an Intel I5 processor with 8GB of RAM. Under Win 7.I, everything ran fine, including the AE set at 2GB of RAM.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Denis

Quote Originally Posted by dgionet View Post
    Hello to all,

I have installed this week Windows 10 and everything works fine running routes and activities under Open Rails. One exception is that the MSTS Activity Editor (AE) crashes when trying to open it to create or modify activities.

I have done some searching in the forum and found nothing that could help find the issue.

I have a NVIDIA GT740 video card, an Intel I5 processor with 8GB of RAM. Under Win 7.I, everything ran fine, including the AE set at 2GB of RAM.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Denis
    Hi Denis,

While I only use the MSTS tools on a very rare occasion - I did find that while running Win10x64 - I had to change my monitor resolution from its native 6:9 profile - - - to the old 4:3 ratio used back in the day... It may have just been my normal resolution of 2560x1440 was beyond anything MSTS would expect - I didn't investigate but aforementioned fix seemed to work for me...

Regards,
    Scott

Hi Scott,

I think I have found the culprit.

I have proceeded with installation of the MSTS Bin in the MSTS folder which caused the crashes and everything seems to be OK now.

The MSTS Bin files could have been corrupted during installation of Windows 10. Under Windows 7, it ran fine, unless I have forgotten installation of the Bin to that mini-route folder.

Anyway, back in business now.

Thanks

Denis