Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking at purchasing a new laptop

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    Hi Folks,

Just my humble opinion - unless you're truly mobile all the time - a desktop (which can be pretty small today especially if you build your own) - would probably serve you better - with greater performance - for less money...

Regards,
    Scott
    Even if you don't build your own you get so much more for your money with a desktop. Laptops have SO many restrictions quite apart from graphics cards. It's pretty much impossible to upgrade them in any way other than additional connected devices (extra hard drives etc.) which immediately makes them less portable anyway. Decent modern desktops have plenty of extra bays and connections for additional hard drives, easily up-gradable memory slots and even PSU's if necessary.

IF you need "portable devices" for other uses that don't require gaming machine specs you'd be better off buying a decent desktop for the Sim and a Tablet for portability. Modern Tablets cost a fraction of a laptop and run most things folk use a laptop for. I recently bought an Android Tablet for a price which would still have given me enough change from the price of my wife's laptop to buy an upgraded gaming/sim machine of really top spec. Her top of the range Laptop has Wi-Fi issues, lousy battery life, needs additional plug in devices to come anywhere NEAR the connectivity of my desktop and of course has a far smaller screen .

With today's Flat screens the "desktop footprint" of a screen and keyboard is not much bigger than a laptop and the box itself can sit on a shelf or the floor if space is an issue. Laptops have their place if you travel a lot or need them for work but why anyone chooses them for Simming is beyond me .
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

I use a laptop for doing sim-related stuff during down time at work (which I can have a lot of some days), but for actually running the sim, I wouldn't use anything short of a desktop

The root of the problem with Nvidia vs all the others comes down to legacy DirectX support. Nvidia drivers work correctly for all versions of DirectX, as long as you install the DirectX June 2010 Redistributable package, which, among other things, contains support for legacy DX 6 and 7. (To this day, many games install this by default.)

AMD and Intel drivers don't seem to fully support legacy DirectX prior to DX9, and some Intel drivers/chipsets just aren't intended for anything other than watching video.

MSTS-Roundhouse

With Open Rails and ZDSimulator
    Info

I would just like to add that, contrary to popular belief, it is possible to run MSTS on Windows 10 with a modern AMD GPU. Look for msts-amd-bugfix.zip in the file library. When applying anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering with the Radeon Settings app, the results are stunning and much nicer than with any Nvidia setup.

My idea of a perfect 2019 build for MSTS:
    - Intel i3-9350KF up to 4,6Ghz single-core or up to 5Ghz all-core if you're willing to overclock
    - AMD Radeon RX 570
    - 16GB RAM
    - any decent brand SSD

Here's a pretty nice video about building a dedicated legacy gaming PC with an Intel i3-8350k (previous generation): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmudobGW-HY

As Arte Johnson would have said on Laugh-in back in the '60s, "very interesting..." seriously.

Thanks for that info!
    Jeff

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently-talented fool.

Pretty much any computer made within the last 20 years is able to run MSTS

Quote Originally Posted by TrainFreak View Post
    Pretty much any computer made within the last 20 years is able to run MSTS
    .....not very helpful and not entirely true either. A model T Ford will get you from A to B but I bet you don't drive one ?
    Geoff
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by jefffarq View Post
    As Arte Johnson would have said on Laugh-in back in the '60s, "very interesting..." seriously.

Thanks for that info!
    I think many folk are frightened to look at taking the lid off the box with PC's? HOWEVER I would say that I stopped building my own boxes because it reached a point where I couldn't beat the price of "Off the shelf" models of the same spec by doing so. Even if you CAN shave a few bucks off the component prices you still have to factor in the time spent on the build and initial software installation. Things are much simpler than they used to be but unless the challenge interests you there's not much in it.

Another factor that many overlook when this question arises is, what else are you going to be using the new computer for? For example if you're keen on photography, like newer action games etc. you may want a higher spec than any simulator actually needs?
    Geoff
    UK