Thread: Difficulties with switching cars in OR

Default Difficulties with switching cars in OR

I don't know if there's something I overlooked, or a terrible assumption of mine. (It shouldn't be a physics issue. I upgraded all the files using the packages in the T-S file library.)

I've been trying some switching scenarios lately, and I've been having problems. It's a struggle to move short cuts around the yard. While I don't expect a GP35 or GP38-2 to walk away with a intermodal train, I do expect them to be fine hauling just a few freight cars, but it always seems I have to throttle up to move anything more than one car.

Could someone teach me the proper methodology for switching cuts of cars in Open Rails so I don't have to struggle so hard? Or tell me where I messed up?

Edit: Also posting this to Elvas Tower. Forgive me if it's seen twice by some.
    Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.

Well, I figured it out. I was forgetting to release the handbrakes. Hope the car departments won't hurt me too badly for giving their cars flat spots.
    Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.

Good thing they worked.

Quote Originally Posted by SD40-2 View Post
    I don't know if there's something I overlooked, or a terrible assumption of mine. (It shouldn't be a physics issue. I upgraded all the files using the packages in the T-S file library.)

I've been trying some switching scenarios lately, and I've been having problems. It's a struggle to move short cuts around the yard. While I don't expect a GP35 or GP38-2 to walk away with a intermodal train, I do expect them to be fine hauling just a few freight cars, but it always seems I have to throttle up to move anything more than one car.

Could someone teach me the proper methodology for switching cuts of cars in Open Rails so I don't have to struggle so hard? Or tell me where I messed up?

Edit: Also posting this to Elvas Tower. Forgive me if it's seen twice by some.

MsSheare Railcar coperation.
    TO: SD40.............

Subject. flat wheels.

Dear sir inside this letter you will find a invoice for all those flat spots you made. Wheels are NOT cheap. Refer to the training manual when in doubt.

PS invoice for replacement included

MSRC "Your home for all your rail car needs."

JK!

There's nothing wrong with flat spots.
    Helps tamp the ballast.

Randy

I remember when I was in training they showed us a picture of a car that had a stuck brake. Not sure if it was a handbrake or not but it had been ground nearly to the axle. You'd think someone would have noticed that...

You will only get in trouble if you put flat spots on the engine. At least that's the way it used to be.

Ron