Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm getting pretty frustrated with my legacy tools

Default I'm getting pretty frustrated with my legacy tools

Like MSTS itself, the tools we use to create content for it (in my case) are showing their age.

Sadly, the great support we got from Richard at Amabilis for 3DCanvas/3DCrafter is long gone. The Amibilis software remains cumbersome to use despite many attempts at improvements and the once very stable releases are no longer stable on modern Windows releases. (results, crashes and problems while working are impacting my progress and enjoyment).

For instance, I have a new recurring random issue where the software starts but refuses to show the drawing screens... or it will just crash doing simple things. I've kind of had enough of it.

So, as I say in my signature... I'm using Blender now (And I think I will exclusively in the future).

So, if I was showing progress shots of things in the past and nothing came of it... its due a number of things... 1) being an old fart now and dealing with what comes with that. (Being forgetful and absent minded, for example) 2) My tools showing their age as well 3) Trying to make things work for ORTS and its a bit confusing 4) Giving up on Amabilis tools and trying to recreate my progress so far in Blender 2.8.

Blender is intimidating, to put it mildly... but it is very good and very capable of doing what is needed. I just need to become more proficient at it. While I can import Canvas models... I end up just reworking them completely over again.

So... in essence... I've hit a wall... I'm learning... and will get back to releasing stuff once I get more comfortable with Blender.
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter and Blender User
    formerly The Keystone Works (All Permissions Granted)
    In IRC at freenode #msts

Hi Pete,

Yeah - I've contemplated the same many times - I'm not really having much of an issue with 3DC 9.55 yet... From the tutorials I've seen on Blender - everything is a keystroke - just the opposite of 3DC - so find a good cheat sheet for the keys... I just don't know how I'd get by without all the Plug-Ins Paul Gausden made - I rely on them heavily... Let us know how you make out...

Regards,
    Scott

In my case... every version from 7 to 10 for me will ultimately break. This just happened to me in version 10, for example.

So it doesn't seem to matter which version I choose... I'm rolling the dice.

And really... Now is a great time to go to blender. the 2.80 interface is NEW and more ICON driven then the keystroke driven versions of the past... and LEFT click now does what LEFT click SHOULD do... same for right click (contextual menus).
    In IRC at freenode #msts

If you check on "View problem details" Check the very first line on the top.. thats a Windows code error and look it up at Google, as there may be a simple fix like missing a 'dll" file....Done this many times and it did resolve few of my program issues..
    Dave Edwards

APP CRASH info isn't very informative... But I have had some MS C++ runtime library issues...

The Blender interface is actually quite nice now.

In IRC at freenode #msts

Hi Pete,

You're going to DRAG me over there aren't you - that looks fantastic !

The few times I've sat down in front of Blender I found just basic movement quite daunting - whereas - when I picked up 3DC it all seemed pretty intuitive... I may have to sit down with one of those video tutorials in earnest...

Nice work - sir...

Regards,
    Scott

I'm trying... I need to feel like I'm not travelling the road alone.
    In IRC at freenode #msts

Wow, the Blender 2.80 UI is really different from the 2.78 that I use. Like you I had to learn a new 3D modeling program. Not so hard once you take the plunge.
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Hi Folks,

Is Wayne's exporter working fully with 2.8 ?

Thanks...

Regards,
    Scott

According to Wayne, yes. I haven't been able to satisfy it yet... but that's on me.
    What I really need to do is document Blender 2.8 experiences with video so I can share with others
    Last edited by pwillard; 10-23-2019 at 10:47 AM.
    In IRC at freenode #msts