Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Transport Fever 2 - New To Me.

TF 1, mr brain dead meant.

Nice one Vern, Wales is included in the UK map, well Swansea & Cardiff anyway.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

I found a Scottish map on Workshop so delving with that. As with all this type of game though, very slow at the start. Setting up a couple of horse and carriage routes plus a short railway and one train uses most of the starting cash!

At least it's a bit more relaxing than trying to sort out N3V's signalling (il)logic!
    Vern.

metalangel Guest

I played all of the US campaign and half of the EU one in the original, and found that, much as you want to, you *cannot* play it like you did OpenTTD. Trains are ridiculously expensive, with even the individual wagons costing excessive amounts of money. The majority of my games ended up being almost entirely road vehicles with maybe one main line railway running through the pokey little map with a branch or two off to industries if their output was high enough.

Thing is, small though the maps actually are, time seems to pass far too quickly. The Tay Bridge scenario in the original had a requirement that a certain number of trains had to pass safely over your new bridge between Edinburgh and Kirkcaldy in the timespan of a year to prove that it was now safe. I ended up buying and running fast locomotives pulling a single carriage, and even with careful timing of their departures, simply could not get enough of them to make the trip across in the allotted window. Gave up on the game after that.

I think I'm just spoiled by the options TT/TTD/OpenTTD gave us. We can build lavish, complex layouts with prototypical length trains (and more realistically scaled cities) running on main and relief lines and flyovers and dive unders and such. In comparison, route building in Transport Fever is only a step or two above what we had in Railroad Tycoon 2, where a train several times larger than the "city" (half a dozen bungalows) it serves pulls into a station, turns ethereal, goes "ding!", and then magically reappears on the opposite track ready to head back the other way, becoming ethereal again as a higher class train passes through it.

I play it in Sandbox mode with no restrictions. Everything can be available from the start.

Not interested in the economy aspects of the game.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

I noticed the game runs rather quickly. Tend to put it on pause when building.

Suspect I will end up using the sandbox mode myself, so I can just build a network free of restrictive finances.

I did find the original Transport Fever in my collection though uninstalled and I suspect that was for similar reasons.

What we really want is a strategy simulation that you can set up and run the transport using real time and timetables (speeded up as necessary) rather than this abstract passage of days and weeks to travel between Glasgow and Edinburgh.
    Vern.

metalangel Guest

I wonder if such a thing ever existed. Even the old A-Train games, which used a 24 hour clock, were fairly abstract and you'd have a train that would take an hour to travel its own length.

I know that a friend of mine has some mod or other in OpenTTD that allows for some kind of timetabling (and I think even the trains going to shed at night and outside of peak), I will need to find out what that is.

I found the network building in Transport Fever so restrictive and uninspiring that I needed the silly scenarios to give it purpose. In OpenTTD, by contrast, I build for the enjoyment of building, with the fun coming from that complex and efficient network of trains running everywhere. I do suspect that the former is down to so many developers wanting to ape the far more well-known Railroad Tycoon (which was an economics game first, rather than about trains, no matter how much these new games' promotional videos focus on the trains) rather than TT.

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Not interested in the economy aspects of the game.
    Ditto.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I have never been a breadhead Bruce.

Proper UK mode would be nice Vern, with right hand drive road traffic.

Not much point setting English as place names in Sandbox, then all the buggers are on the wrong side of the road.

It is why i only play now and again, much prefering to waste my days on ATS, ETS2 and DRS.

Haven't played OpenTTD for donkeys. Has it been refined at all over the years ?

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    I know that a friend of mine has some mod or other in OpenTTD that allows for some kind of timetabling (and I think even the trains going to shed at night and outside of peak), I will need to find out what that is.

I do suspect that the former is down to so many developers wanting to ape the far more well-known Railroad Tycoon (which was an economics game first, rather than about trains, no matter how much these new games' promotional videos focus on the trains) rather than TT.
    Sticking with it but more as a virtual railway - there is quite a bit of UK steam era stuff on the Workshop.

Agree about RRT2. Although I lost many hours playing it, I hated the fact there were no proper signals in it, no tunnels and towns consisted of a cluster of small buildings. Daftest of all was when they brought out the Metro (or whatever it was called) add-on as it was wholly unsuited to the RRT2 way of doing things. At least TF2 doesn't have you trading stocks and shares, though I do think you can buy and sell the industries.
    Vern.

Check out the GWR BG mod on the Workshop, Vern. Track and trains to play with.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd