Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Moose is Loose on the L&HR

Default The Moose is Loose on the L&HR

Hi Folks,

What - a brand new original North American locomotive for ORTS - nah - it can't be - say it isn't so ?!?!

Darn - it's only a steam locomotive [sigh]…

I truly can't believe I just uploaded it - this one was a LONG time coming...

Done... Uploaded...

A very special THANK YOU to Derek Miller for graciously allowing me the use of his mighty fine sound files - this locomotive wouldn't be half as enjoyable without them...

Salute to all you Developers donating your valuable time to our favorite sim - ORTS...

Thanks to all who shared their insights and motivation - here...

My full list of appreciation expressed in the notes on the upload and ReadMe...

NOTE: Intended to be driven from Passenger View [5] and [Shift 5] - try it - seriously...

NOTE: ORTS Camera Vibration [Ctrl V] should be set to 3...

NOTE: For ORTS exclusively...

Enjoy !!!

Released by scottb613, on Flickr

LHR280_Final_Fwd by scottb613, on Flickr

LHR280_Final_Port by scottb613, on Flickr

LHR280_Final_Star by scottb613, on Flickr

LHR280_Final_Aft by scottb613, on Flickr

ORTS Feature: Camera Vibration [Ctrl V] - for best results use setting 2 or 3 with this model.

ORTS Feature: The Engineer and Fireman "headout" position is set to the "Passenger Cabin View" - ORTS supports multiple Passenger Views per unit to implement this - use the [5] and [Shift 5] View in Open Rails to select these views - as it adds some relative motion to suggest head movement and increases the immersion greatly. I typically use the traditional "headout" views to look back at the train - that way - all four views from the locomotive are just a key press away.

ORTS Feature: The physics file is setup for ORTS only and will not work in MSTS.

ORTS Feature: The bell is animated when used.

ORTS Feature: The coal in the tender is a Freight Animation and will empty as used - which will also dynamically change the weight of the tender.

ORTS Feature: Additional smoke effects for injectors, compressors, and generator are included.

Train Brakes - Train and Locomotive Brakes should both be set to "Running" while not in active use - this will insure the locomotive and tender brakes will be applied/released as well when using the "Train Brake" controller.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by scottb613; 10-31-2019 at 07:24 PM.

The Moose is a winner !! Been putting it through the paces and runs like a dream !

And that big ol' Wootten Firebox, I just love that !

Last edited by MMSS; 10-31-2019 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Added Screenshots
    - Mark -

Just an AWESOME model !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Rick

http:\\mononrr.com

MONON-2

It's am awesome model. It's just too bad ORTS doesn't have better steam/smoke effects. God, that exhaust is worse than MSTS. ORTS needs to get a move on and fix those effects.

Robert

Default The Moose is Loose on the L&HR

Hi Folks,

Thanks Mark - love that colorful string of reefers - nice pix and best reward for freeware guys...

Thanks Rick - I might wade into some USRA's next - suitable on a large number of routes - even ones in the Midwest...

Thanks Robert - LOL - and always the ray of sunshine...

Just like MSTS - the smoke can be improved - I think I have Marc's Diesel and Steam smoke textures loaded and they are a vast improvement... Certainly on par with Trainz or DTG...

You can get them here at 3DTrains:
    http://www.3dtrains.com/downloads/misc.shtml

Here's a video with the textures loaded - they look pretty darn good to me - you can press [5] as the video is playing to skip to the smoke coming out of the Consolidation - if you don't want to sit through the whole video...

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by scottb613; 11-01-2019 at 08:10 AM.

Hi Rick,

Someone else mentioned the Bell !!!

Oh - dang - it didn't even occur to me until now...

Carlo probably has the - new - "Animated Bell Function" - in the latest version of Monogame ORTS only... I only run the "Unstable" version of ORTS to gain all the benefits of Monogame... As is - updating to "Unstable" is probably the ONLY way to turn off the bell...

To update to Monogame - if desired - simply go into your version of ORTS - select [Options] [Updater] - - - then choose "Unstable" - - - this should create a new hotlink for the software update in the usual location - top right corner of interface - simply click on the hot link to update your software... This will switch you from the old XNA Game Engine to the new Monogame Game Engine - and fix the bell...

Monogame has the added benefit of all the latest ORTS features - better frame rates - and ReShade compatibility for better graphics... It's also what ORTS is being fully ported to - so you will be using it eventually if you continue to use ORTS...

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by scottb613; 11-01-2019 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick-MONON View Post
    Just an AWESOME model !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    See above on Bell.

Hi Scott, It's not the textures of the smoke, Its the emitter pattern of the particle effects generator that is crap. ATSF3751 on ET boards have written about this a couple times.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by NW 2156 View Post
    Hi Scott, It's not the textures of the smoke, Its the emitter pattern of the particle effects generator that is crap. ATSF3751 on ET boards have written about this a couple times.

Robert
    Hi Robert,

Understood - I'm sure we would all welcome any improvements - it's merely a wait for the person with the skill and the will to do it....

Regards,
    Scott

That model just knocks my socks off, outstanding. I've down loaded it but won't be able to use it at this time.
    Just as a note on smoke I have changed my thinking over the years. In the past I enjoyed the heavy smoke for eye candy but in reality a properly fired engine doesn't do that, so I made a new modified smoke texture to change it from a heavy plume to a lighter version in comparison. Don't know if it would work properly in OR.
    Jim