Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Moose is Loose on the L&HR

Hi Jim,

Hah - thanks so much... Come on in - the waters warm - ORTS gives you better visuals - better shadows - better textures - far more capability - and I even get better frame rates than I ever did with MSTS... It really does't take an exceptional machine to run - a mediocre one should handle it fine... Honestly - I could never go back now that I know both sides... Hope to see you here soon...

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    Hi Jim,

Hah - thanks so much... Come on in - the waters warm - ORTS gives you better visuals - better shadows - better textures - far more capability - and I even get better frame rates than I ever did with MSTS... It really does't take an exceptional machine to run - a mediocre one should handle it fine... Honestly - I could never go back now that I know both sides... Hope to see you here soon...

Regards,
    Scott

I can't swim so I'll stay away from the MSTS vs ORTS I've been thinking more along the lines of when this 20 year old XP computer dies I may not get a new one. I have enough automotive and model railroad projects to keep me busy until the end.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    Just like MSTS - the smoke can be improved - I think I have Marc's Diesel and Steam smoke textures loaded and they are a vast improvement... Certainly on par with Trainz or DTG...

You can get them here at 3DTrains:
    http://www.3dtrains.com/downloads/misc.shtml

Hey Scott, how do you get those to work with ORTS exactly? I think the textures would quite compliment this stout moose; however getting them to work with ORTS is new to me as I haven't had to change the smoke files and all.

Thanks, and thanks for the work you've done on this engine!

Quote Originally Posted by Komachi View Post
    Hey Scott, how do you get those to work with ORTS exactly? I think the textures would quite compliment this stout moose; however getting them to work with ORTS is new to me as I haven't had to change the smoke files and all.

Thanks, and thanks for the work you've done on this engine!
    Hi...

Glad you like it...

I think Marc has the two files - one for steam - one for diesels - setup with a full installer - you just point them at your desired Train Simulator directory... It's been ages since I've actually installed them as I just keep cloning my one base install that has everything loaded - for each mini-route install I make - as I need them... I don't recall exactly where the files for this go but I would assume in the global textures directory...

Regards,
    Scott