Thread: Repainting - Re-Lettering on Railroad Vehicles

Default Repainting - Re-Lettering on Railroad Vehicles

Hello, I am curious as to how to go about putting labels, like the BNSF Swoosh onto the White MOW Trucks here in the library. I have looked at a number of sources and all are concerned with Painting and Constructing from scratch.

A short Video or Instructional Steps including what "Labels" to use, and how to place them. I have Windows Paint, and 3D, as well as Photoshop to do this. I would prefer to use Paint.
    Also where to get proper sized Lettering Fonts might be useful as well.

I just need something to show me how to prepare the File(s) and Placement. I am sure this would be of benefit to a lot of Modelers on here who would like to change some of the repetitive Vehicle Shapes.

Thank you for any help with this.

It should be possible to export the texture into a workable format. The 'textures' menu in MSTS Shape Viewer can do this, as can TGATool. Then you just plug it into a paint program and edit it, and convert it back to an .ace

Quote Originally Posted by ebnertra000 View Post
    It should be possible to export the texture into a workable format. The 'textures' menu in MSTS Shape Viewer can do this, as can TGATool. Then you just plug it into a paint program and edit it, and convert it back to an .ace
    Yes, thank you, I know that part, sort of. What I need to know about is where to get the Logo the correct size and how is it placed on the Vehicle? Is it trimmed to the lettering, or do they come with a Transparent area around to show the base colors, like a Decal?
    I see that various Logos are available on the web, how are these "converted" so that they can be applied?

Thank you for that, never have too much information.

You'll have to find photos of the prototype to see how it is done. There might be multiple variations depending on era, supplier, etc.

Then comes the artistic part. The part that happens in your graphics program that converts the previous texture into the one you want.

For that, I usually have to start by covering over the previous logo, possibly changing the color. Then I find the new logo somewhere on the web or from my own photo (or I make it from scratch). It probably needs to be resized as appropriate. Often new lettering is needed.

After that, follow the steps in the tutorials for exporting the new texture. Open rails can read .dds files which can be exported right from many graphics programs. The old instructions involved converting the texture to an .ace file.

Christopher

To help a little, every BNSF logo I've seen is just a simple decal. Even on red-painted vehicles the same black/orange logo is used.

In any case, some vehicles are texrured such that placing it correctly on one side means it'll be backwards on the other. You'll just have to see how it looks