Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Use Loco's On Different Routes

Default Use Loco's On Different Routes

Link below for Google translation of Czech site. Bloke has put the Western on the Manchester route and Class 101 DMU on GWML amongst others.

https://translate.google.com/transla...D33%26nod2%3D1
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Interesting... perhaps DTG should give the guy a job! Or is it a case they are sitting on the capability to mix and match locos and trainsets between routes, all the time knowing full well how to do it?
    Vern.

Looks like the latter Vern. If all it takes is a simple file mod, to enable the function.

I like the idea of the Class 101's replacing all the 166 services on the GWML.

33's on that coal route would be fun.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    I like the idea of the Class 101's replacing all the 166 services on the GWML.
    Mike.
    ....although Class 117's would be more prototypical the London End Mike? BTW as a non TS20XX user, having read the grumbles about physics, does the 101 have a decent simulation of the 1st generation DMU gearboxes?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Yes Geoff, 117's were my bread and butter on the London Division. But we also had 101's and 123's allocated, for outer suburban services, buddy.

Simulation is no worse than TS20xx, but anything by DTG is never spot on.

Mike.

Towards the end of DMU days the (former) London Division had a diverse collection of DMU's based at Reading and Old Oak. The 117's and 119's (latter for the Tonbridge and Gatwick services), the Class 121 bubble cars, a few 101's and a handful of 104's which were outbased at the Oak for Gospel Oak to Barking services.

I remember one of my first jobs when I went in the Control in 1989 was NSE DMU desk. It was always a lottery what you got back from the Southern off the North Downs as things would get swapped around at Redhill or Tonbridge and they wouldn't tell you. Cue something arriving at Reading in the middle of the peak out of fuel and needing a swap, end result being poor old stockbroker on the 18xx out of Paddington getting 3 cars instead of 6! Then I recall my second shift on that desk, some contractor put a pile driver through a load of signalling cables at Royal Oak, @1545. Actually managed to keep track of everything I turned round at Ealing Broadway though the night turn guy who relieved me had to do a manual callover with all the depots and stabling points, just to be sure.

As regards the TSW 101, well still a bit quick off the mark as are most DTG creations, but it's not bad. Sounds could be a bit stronger especially on the cushions in the saloon, again a known DTG weak point but overall one of their better efforts.
    Vern.

All this talk of railways and Westerns on the mainline.

I might have to install a train game, for the first time since June.

No dmu's at OOC in my day, Reading & Southall allocations only for 117's

123's Reading only, 121's & 122's Reading & Southall.

101's Reading only.

Of course there were also other allocations, but they were outside the London Division Suburban and Outer Suburban operations.

Mike.

No idea if this info is common knowledge as i haven't been following train games for months, from the same Czech site..................................

TSW Editor - Questions and answers

Last month DTG revealed that the editor might be out sometime in December this year. It will not be the final version, but so far the bet. And with this announcement, there were a lot of questions from the community. Matt took the time to try to answer the most common questions. It is necessary to take certain things with caution, because we know DTG and when they say that when you start the editor there will be no function there will probably never be there (just remember the multiplayer, which also should not be at startup and it will be almost 2 years). So if you are wondering what the editor will or will not do, then you can read the original here . You can find the translated version by clicking on the title ...

Will it be possible to edit existing tracks?
    This is a very difficult question and it is not easy to answer. You need to know how Unreal Engine 4 works.
    When you create something in the editor so you have all the source files, which contain all the necessary information such as coordinates, colors, etc. To start the game itself (tracks) you no longer need these files and so it is basically .pak file, which contains only important information (finished data) and actually discards various source files. This will improve track loading, FPS and of course data volume.
    You as a player actually have a game from Steam that contains only .PAK files. In the editor you will have to work with data that is directly in the .PAK file. Here is a challenge for us, because Unreal Engine 4 is designed to work with source data only and has no way to work with published data. So getting support for the published data into the editor is a challenge. It is necessary to say that for now it will not be possible to edit existing tracks. (This feature will not be available in the first versions - I dare to guess that we will not be able to see it soon enough, I personally think that if they wanted to delete the source data of the tracks you own with the editor).

Will it be possible to use the play function in the test editor?

Yes, we've taken some time to improve this feature so you can test everything right in the editor and don't need to switch back to the simulator.

Will it be possible to use all trains on different tracks?

Yes, you can use all the fleet in your scenarios and on all lines.

Will we be able to use building models, etc ... from other tracks?

So far it looks like yes. We tested it for a long time and everything worked so far. But we are not 100% testing yet.

Can we use third-party models?
    Yes, you can import third-party models into the editor and then use them on your tracks.

Will the editor be able to use Google Maps?

Yes, we've integrated support for Google Maps, but we've also added support for KML tags and Open Street Maps. We will also add data from Open Street Maps such as roads, rivers, etc ... which will certainly help you to create.

Can multiple people work on the same track simultaneously in the editor?

Unreal Engine has this option built-in. You just need to make a proper schedule who will work where and not a problem. The editor works with tiles of some size and can only work on one tile at a time. So the team can agree that A will work on that and that tile while B will work elsewhere. In the final, 50 people can work on one track and then combine it into one track.

Can I create a 24-hour timetable for my routes?
    Yes for your new routes it is possible to create timetables for new scenarios and then a 24-hour timetable. The timetable can be one for each track, because the game does not yet allow to choose a different timetable. (the only way to do this right now is to extract and rewrite the .PAK file and timetable files).

Can we model 3D models directly in the editor or do we need an external program?

To create 3D models you will need an external 3D program such as Blender (free), 3DS Max, Maya, etc.

I will summarize other things in short, the editor will be distributed via Epic Unreal Engine. Steam WorkShop support will be provided. The files that will be shared via Steam WorkShop are not yet known.
    In addition, authors use SpeedTree and SimplyGon (commercial stuff) that will not be distributed with the editor. So if you want to use these possibilities you will have to buy a license.

Sounds a bit high end for my old brain.

Back to old wibbly wobbly (Trainz) for route building!
    Vern.

Come on Vern, don't let the side down.

i just read on that same forum, a bloke has explained how he joined the NEC & LIRR routes together in TSW.

So there is light at the end of the tunnel, even before the editors are released.

Unlike Trainz tunnels, which are light all the way through.

Mike.