Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Posted release date for TSCAD for Run8

Default Posted release date for TSCAD for Run8

Tscad is an add on by an outside person so any question direct to them but their dispatching system will be released at the end of the month. Here is the link to it.

https://www.formbstudios.com/
    Work Safe play hard

Holy catfish!!!
    Forty US bucks (approx AUS$58 right now) for the core program and then US$15 each (AUS$22) for those additional routes.

Forget it....big time!
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Given 3DTS posture too towards any outside development, I wonder if they will be entirely happy about a third party charging for an add on, let alone at those sorts of prices! Should be freeware for the benefit of the community.
    Vern.

No thank you, too rich for me.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Actually I support someone trying to make money. 2D programming is much simpler then 3D programming. As I've said before I already have algorithms tested and designed for AI dispatching. From what I've seen the only advantage to this over ED is it's more TD3 modern dispatcher like.

For the record the Run8 team helped out this developer because it's not so easy to hook up to the ED functionality. Run8 never made it public and I've tried to understand this with both help from the author and John. Both told me what you needed at the time, but obviously aren't obligated to be a tutor for me so it never got further than that.

I even considered morphing a 2D simulator with AI trains, switching, humping, dispatching into a simulator. But honestly couldn't come up with a price that would be worth my time.

Nothing beats for me the experience of running a train in Run8 period. But I guess some times you have to take a step back to find some fun experience that is better vs realistic experience?

Been pondering that for most of 2019 to be honest. I know people who have bought everything for Run8 and are passing on this offer. I wish him the best of luck, but to me I wouldn't spend more than 20 bucks on the core program and all the routes. The core program is where the value is here. The routes interactions certainly aren't worth 20 bucks each to link with switches, and signals. it's not like this program is as complicated as the signal logic in the base game. All it's job is to do is determine a safe route, execute a command, and display confirmation to the dispatcher of indications.

What they call prototypically where all the true fail safes and proper indications come is "in the field" and in this case what Run8 has programmed in their routes and signal logic. it's not what they call "the office" to determine any logic other than what I mentioned above. Each route shouldn't be more complicated than building a TB3 (Track Builder 3) route and I've built some territories in very little time or effort that are quality.

I also know that a key for a developer to continue to make money is to have repeat buys, so it makes sense to charge for additional routes in a business sense. But this is just a bit too much in my opinion.

Again best of luck. A niche product in a niche market at those prices I really don't know how much sales that is going to get.

Thanks

Sean

Originally Posted by SurvivorSean

For the record the Run8 team helped out this developer because it's not so easy to hook up to the ED functionality.
    The RUN8 team should have taken the TSCAD developer on as part of their development team and and incorporate his dispatcher into V3. The sim is trying to be as realistic as possible with recreation of the routes and trains/physics etc, so why not extend that realism into the dispatcher panel as well.
    They could have given him a percentage or commission from sales of Run8v3, and possibly use any other skills he has to help move the development of Run8 along a bit more quicker. Even if V3 cost a bit more because of these extra features, I think most of us would be happy to pay a little extra for more realism built into the base program of V3 and not rely on external programs and windowed screens etc.

The TSCAD screens look just like real dispatcher screens and the program has an amazing amount of features, with those features based on what a real dispatcher can do.

https://scontent.fadl4-1.fna.fbcdn.n...dd&oe=5E638868

By way of reminder what TSCAD can do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAzwcfqmKtw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDHkNmPbKPI

After looking at these videos, show me anyone whether they be Single player or multiplayer or multiplayer hosts etc who would object to this being incorporated into the base program of V3. Incorporate it into v3 it will sell naturally, but keep it external and at those prices and TSCAD is probably not going to do so well, and that's a worry because I want to support RUN8 and any development as much as possible.

Cheers

James

Quote Originally Posted by WesternDivision View Post
    ........Incorporate it into v3 it will sell naturally, but keep it external and at those prices and TSCAD is probably not going to do so well, and that's a worry because I want to support RUN8 and any development as much as possible....
    I tend to agree with your line of thought, James.
    One is more likely to pay a bit more for a product which includes the extras than to buy those extras as separate items.
    Just look at the philosophy behind buying a new car, for a very simple yet persistent example; we option it up at the time of signing on the dotted line, not after we've bought the base model.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Seems to me they're having a hard enough time developing their own product, let alone integrate someone else's work. I agree with the theory and there is plenty of talented people out here who would be willing to offer their services for discounted prices or even free.

The features are what you would see for the most part in TD3. TD3 has a sister program TB3 that allows anyone to build custom dispatch layouts. Handler software could easily integrate the functionality of TD3 into whatever it is that Run8 requires in it's current form. Of course the issue here it would require TD3 which is borderline abandonware now.

They also could have integrated ED which was free a long time ago but for some reason didn't want to. Anyways I better bow out of this conversation before I get myself into more trouble

Thanks

Sean

Prices have been dropped per thread https://www.thedepotserver.com/forum...ce-point.6204/
    "I do want you to know that I have been listening to the high price point. I want you ask to know that, as this is my first venture into the market on my own, the pricing was a bit of a shot in the dark to balance the time to develop features and the cost to you the consumer.

Understanding and hearing what you have said, I have decided to proactively reduce the price from the start.

TSCAD will be $25 instead of $40. Territories will range in price from $5-$15. Fact of the matter is that not all territories are equal. LA was a LOT harder to make that Needles (for example). So I’ll price those accordingly. This should be about 30-35% less than the prices originally announced. That does not include the 10% discount that will still be available the first weekend on sale.

I hope this will make a difference for some as I don’t want to price myself out of the market.

Looking forward to the release!

Kevin
    Todd
    Iowa Chicago and Eastern Mason City Sub