Thread: No mouse rotation in MSTS RE

Default No mouse rotation in MSTS RE

I posted this a couple of days ago in the PC Tech forum, no takers...

I just bought the following laptop:

Alienware 15 R4
    Intel i7 8750H CPU @ 2.20 Ghz
    8 Gb RAM
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060
    Windows 10 Build 1903

After doing an install following the instructions on steam4me concerning W7 and W10, and completing all the updates, etc., I was pleased to to find that MSTS works great, framerates between 45 - 60, everything works fine, except... I have no mouse rotation in the RE. I can left-click and select scenery objects and right-click for properties, no problem, but I cannot rotate/move with the right-click function of the mouse in the RE.

After reading several posts in the forum about resolution, I've tried every setting in MSTS, both -16bit and -32 bit, with no luck.

I compared my registry settings with those on a working W7 PC, found that the "Editor rotation pause" key was not present, so I put that in using the settings from my W7 machine, no luck, assuming the value of 75 is correct.

In the registry I noticed that the "Editor settings" key was set to 0 instead of 1, so I changed that also, still no luck.

After several days of reading posts in this forum and searching online, trying this and that, I'm throwing in the towel and asking for help.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can maneuver in the RE?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently-talented fool.

I suppose you could try the arrow keys, but I don't know RE that much

I'm not well-versed in the RE, but this sounds more like a Windows/drivers (or maybe laptop hardware/firmware) issue.

Are you using a separate mouse or the laptop's trackpad? I'd recommend an external mouse. Drivers come into play here; some mice with extra buttons require drivers to make them work -- those may or may not work with MSTS. They should work, but sometimes something is wrong. Ideally, grab an old basic mouse like one that came packaged with a new computer -- Just a cheap two-button wired mouse. Those generally use the built-in Windows HID ("Human Interface Device") mouse driver, which ought to work with MSTS. If that works, then there's something going on with the mouse driver. Beware of modern gesture-enabled trackpad drivers. They may or may not play well with older software -- especially for right-click + drag motions. That's why an external mouse can be a problem-solver.

Tip -- Logitech mice usually work correctly with everything, even their fancy wireless ones. That's typically because Logitech makes mice for a lot of OEMs, so they have to build their drivers right.

Any function in the RE that requires pressing modifier keys on the keyboard can be unpredictable with a lot of modern laptops. Old software expects a standard 101-key keyboard. For ages, "multimedia" and deluxe keyboards still functioned as "standard" keyboards with no problem. But laptops, since around Windows 8, have started playing fast and loose with the keyboard standard. The "Scroll Lock" key is often omitted. Other keys may be mapped together in non-standard ways and require an additional function key to trigger them. Even if you don't need them in the software, the keyboard driver (or laptop's) firmware may be generating non-standard output.

The best way around that problem is to try plugging in a generic, basic USB keyboard. Type on it to make sure Windows is "listening" to it for input, then try the RE. If things suddenly start working, then it's an issue with the built-in laptop keyboard's driver or firmware.

I can't guarantee this will work with the RE, but it's a pretty classic issue with modern laptops and older software, and trying old "standard" input devices helps with troubleshooting and often gives the software the inputs it expects. Worth a shot, at least.

FWIW, I have a laptop with similar specs and MSTS also runs great on it. Haven't tried the RE on it, though...

MSTS-Roundhouse

With Open Rails and ZDSimulator
    Info

Isn't it one of the display options in the compatibility settings that fixes this? Try ticking Disable Full Screen optimisation, then mess about with the DPI settings.
    Vern.

Eric,

I've tried the installed touchpad, a Logitech wireless mouse (my standard mouse used on my old W7 laptop), a Logitech wired USB mouse, and a BTC wired mouse. All display the same effect - work fine in all functionality (Windows 10 and other applications) except right-click movement in the RE. No movement. Tried each one after its install and a reboot.

All drivers are up to date. Tried a few suggestions I found on the internet concerning mouse settings, still no luck.

I have not tried plugging in a standard keyboard; I'll give that a try.

Vern,

I tried a few different compatibility settings, still no luck, I'll try others. If you could be more explicit as to which display option fixes it, that would be great...

Thanks guys,
    Jeff

Strange as it may sound, you may be on to something with display settings. MSTS will outright crash at high screen resolutions. The editors and tools are even touchier. The editors are windowed at all times; try setting your desktop resolution lower before launching the RE. Yes, your desktop icons will get re-arranged in the background, but at least under Win10 they'll all go back in place when you reset it to normal.

There's also the old tricks of running MPROFILE.exe again from the main Train Simulator folder, as well as resetting all the keyboard controls to default even if they seem to be set on the defaults anyway. Both will force some Registry entries to be re-created.

MSTS-Roundhouse

Info

Eric,

You are correct. After a little clarification from some folks over at ElvasTower, I tried changing the resolution on the monitor, and lo and behold, I've fixed it by selecting a lower display resolution setting.

I had read here about resolution, but mistakenly thought it was the resolution settings in MSTS, not the display itself.

Thanks,
    Jeff

The editors and MSTS itself both have limits on screen resolution that they support, but the editors are even more restrictive. It makes it crazy switching back and forth between both "sides" of MSTS. Glad it's working now though!

MSTS-Roundhouse

Info