Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Columbia Gorge Route installed

Quote Originally Posted by Maryland50+ View Post
    Good Afternoon. i hope someone on here can help me. I am trying to install Columbia Gorge route into MSTS. I downloaded all 8 parts into temp folder like it says. Maybe this is the problem. i never saw the folder Columbia gorge.zip. so i clicked on the first zip 1,clicled on that one and got Columbia Gorge. So i then pasted that into the routes of MSTS. It unzipped all 8 of the zips folders. I then clicked that folder and found the Columbia Gorge route folder again. When I tried to moved that route Columbia Gorge folder into MSTS Routes ,I get this error, "The same volume cannot be used has boththe source and Destination. So I know its wrong but have not idea how to fix it. Any ideas.Thanks in advance.

David
    Your first step was wrong. The readme says "
    INSTALLATION: Unzip each of the downloaded files into a temporary directory."
    That means once you have downloaded all 8 ZIP file then unzip them into a temporary folder. That DOES NOT say download them to a temporary folder. You can download them to any folder that you choose.

Once you unzip all 8 you will have these files plus the readme etc in the temp folder,
    Columbia Gorge.zip
    Columbia Gorge.z01
    Columbia Gorge.z02
    Columbia Gorge.z03
    Columbia Gorge.z04
    Columbia Gorge.z05
    Columbia Gorge.z06
    Columbia Gorge.z07

Then you unzip the file named "
    Columbia Gorge.zip" and it will use the Z01-Z07 files and place them in your routes folder correctly.

Recommend you start over. And follow the Installation instructions from the readme.
    Charles

The problem with this route installation is three fold: the way that WinZip works, the file name and the instructions. When a file is opened by WinZip the default location offered by WinZip is a subfolder with the name the same as the filename of the ZIP in the folder containing the ZIP file(s). So if you have the ZIP files listed above in post #11 in a folder named TEMP and unzip the file
    Columbia Gorge.zip you end up with this file structure …\TEMP\
    Columbia Gorge\
    Columbia Gorge. And it is the second
    Columbia Gorge folder that contains the route files and folders. So it is this second folder that should be copied to the Routes folder of your sim install.
    Charles

Though I understand while it's packaged like that, I hate routes with spanned files. It's a pain when you first try to install one first few times out. Man....took me a dozen times if not more to install one of the MILW routes. My intro to spanned files. But once you figure it out, it's not all that hard.

yes

I don't think Winzip is the most accomplished and error-free extractor. There have been other spanned zip routes that simply would not extract properly with Winzip. Usually WinRaR or 7zip did a better job

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    I don't think Winzip is the most accomplished and error-free extractor. There have been other spanned zip routes that simply would not extract properly with Winzip. Usually WinRaR or 7zip did a better job
    I have all 3. All have extracted without errors for me.

I downloaded Winzar, and It loaded right up. Followed the instructions, and Route works great. tried it out a few times. Nice route, Thanks to all for the comments and help. Appreciated.

Lots of confusion i see, let me write down what i did, and i had no problems at all....

First you need to download "cg101of8.zip" to "cg108of8.zip" and then also "cgfix.zip" (this is a fix)
    so you should have 9 files.
    Put those in a "temp" folder, all of it.
    Now for extraction, i am using Winrar. Select all the 8 files, not the fix, right click on of of those and select option "Extract Here". This will unzip everything in same folder, owerwrite all if asked, and yes you will be....
    Out of this action you will get "Columbia Gorge.zip" and 7 other zip files that is linket to the first zip file (Columbia Gorge.zip).
    So now again, right click on "Columbia Gorge.zip" file and again select option "Extract Here" option.
    Out if this you get actual rout dir and sub files....
    Now the fix needs to extarct and overwrite that "install.bat" file.
    And now, move this route folder to your Route folder in your game dir (x:\where the game is installed\Routes)
    And finally, double click Install.bat.

Thats it, route should work...

Quote Originally Posted by gammaray84 View Post
    Lots of confusion i see, let me write down what i did, and i had no problems at all....

First you need to download "cg101of8.zip" to "cg108of8.zip" and then also "cgfix.zip" (this is a fix)
    so you should have 9 files.
    Put those in a "temp" folder, all of it.
    Now for extraction, i am using Winrar. Select all the 8 files, not the fix, right click on of of those and select option "Extract Here". This will unzip everything in same folder, owerwrite all if asked, and yes you will be....
    Out of this action you will get "Columbia Gorge.zip" and 7 other zip files that is linket to the first zip file (Columbia Gorge.zip).
    So now again, right click on "Columbia Gorge.zip" file and again select option "Extract Here" option.
    Out if this you get actual rout dir and sub files....
    Now the fix needs to extarct and overwrite that "install.bat" file.
    And now, move this route folder to your Route folder in your game dir (x:\where the game is installed\Routes)
    And finally, double click Install.bat.

Thats it, route should work...
    Same way I do mine. As pointed out, the readme for a file can sometimes be a real mess on how it's written thus hard to fully understand.(worse are files with no readme, or my personal favorite, "If you don't know how to install this, then you should have not downloaded it.") Mind you not all are like that. Many are well written. I have this route, but it's been years since I first installed it so I can't recall if the readme was easy to follow..... Having a background ground in technical writing, I usually end up editing a readme, using the KISS method if it just does not seem to make sense.