Thread: Paging C & O Hinton fans

Question Paging C & O Hinton fans

I really like the looks of the " C & O Hinton Division " and I am a big fan of AI traffic keeping me company on my routes while I'm doing my work.

I just made another attempt to get some traffic on the Hinton but my AI says it can't find the track marks.

I see just out of the Clifton Forge Portal the bridge crossing the river has no blue line on it in the map view which I think is a break in the path that the AI can look at but even when I go into " edit trains " and drag the consist to the other side of the river the train still can't find a track mark further on down.

The train comming from the other end of the main line can not seem to see through some of the large yards to find the next track mark.
    I think the way the author depicted the rapids and white-water is ingenious and a beutiful sight but I won't be enjoying this much till I can get AI traffic to work on this route.

Some thoughts, please!

Thanks Willy

Quote Originally Posted by CWA13000 View Post
    I really like the looks of the " C & O Hinton Division " and I am a big fan of AI traffic keeping me company on my routes while I'm doing my work.

I just made another attempt to get some traffic on the Hinton but my AI says it can't find the track marks.

I see just out of the Clifton Forge Portal the bridge crossing the river has no blue line on it in the map view which I think is a break in the path that the AI can look at but even when I go into " edit trains " and drag the consist to the other side of the river the train still can't find a track mark further on down.

The train comming from the other end of the main line can not seem to see through some of the large yards to find the next track mark.
    I think the way the author depicted the rapids and white-water is ingenious and a beutiful sight but I won't be enjoying this much till I can get AI traffic to work on this route.

Some thoughts, please!

Thanks Willy
    I posted this over at Trainz Portal and someone pointed out that I accidently said Clifton forge when I ment to say the bridge in question is just out of the South Main Portal.

They also said that on this route there are trackmarks listed that are not really track marks so you have to investigate and make your own list of real trackmarks to be able to use them and that just plain sucks!

Willy

Quote Originally Posted by CWA13000 View Post

Some thoughts, please!

Thanks Willy
    I posted this over at Trainz Portal and someone pointed out that I accidently said Clifton forge when I ment to say the bridge in question is just out of the South Main Portal.

They also said that on this route there are trackmarks listed that are not really track marks so you have to investigate and make your own list of real trackmarks to be able to use them and that just plain sucks!

Willy

Willy --

Getting AI to navigate through a whole series of switches in a complex yard is something of a black art. And even the most skilful find that sometimes success is only guaranteed when Venus is in ascension and the moon in the first phase.

One of the issues is that an AI train may or may not be able to set a series of switches ahead. Sometimes it can cope with two, sometimes more. The presence of signals adds another layer of complexity. So what they may be saying over in the Trainz Forum is just bung in a few trackmarks and see how it goes. If there are issues try to find out where and why and maybe add an extra track mark or two.

Good luck.

Phil

Exclamation Thanks, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by philskene View Post
    Willy --

Getting AI to navigate through a whole series of switches in a complex yard is something of a black art. And even the most skilful find that sometimes success is only guaranteed when Venus is in ascension and the moon in the first phase.

One of the issues is that an AI train may or may not be able to set a series of switches ahead. Sometimes it can cope with two, sometimes more. The presence of signals adds another layer of complexity. So what they may be saying over in the Trainz Forum is just bung in a few trackmarks and see how it goes. If there are issues try to find out where and why and maybe add an extra track mark or two.

Good luck.

Phil
    I think I noticed a lot of strange things about this route.

If I drive my passenger train, passengers do not get off and on at stations.

If I set-up AI, I usually put in the commands drive to station, unload, wait 2 min., load, drive to (next station) and the AI will go so slow at the beginning of a platform one would swear that the engine and tender stop but then the whole train kind of oozes through the station and stops beyound the platform and though the command to drive to that station is dropped from the list as if it has been accomplished, the other commands do not get processed and the train sits there beyond the station like it doesn't know what to do next. It can't go to the next station because it's current command is to unload but it is not in a place to unload.

I wonder if this route is a generation or more too old to work with the newer Trainz? I'm running "Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019".

About a year ago I tried setting up a session for this route and I thought I had run into a situation where I started putting my own trackmarks in but after putting in a fraction of what I thought I needed, the game would not let me place any more and if I can put enough in now there is this problem where there are many trackmark looking things in it already but some are supposed to be fake ones and it will be really confusing to me cause I can't remember from one day to the next what the heck I'm doing.

BUT, here's a question for you:

Is it true that Portals should be far enough away from signals and turnouts to allow your whole train to exit and maybe also enter ??

I ask this for two reasons:

On the Hinton there are portals a very short distance from a turnout and even though the commands would have the train throw the switch and take the diverging route, that switch never gets thrown and my train goes the wrong way. I thought I should be able to set that switch to diverging path in the session creation process but that doesn't seem to work. I can, if I remember, throw that switch manually at the beginning of driving the session and I assume it will stay that way for subsequent AI traffic but I don't know since I haven't established my AI traffic pattern yet.

On my current favorite route, " Rocky Mountains Montana Track " there is a similar situation where the Portals are extremely close to signals and turnouts but it just so happens that I want the traffic to use the NON-divergent path. The problem there is that the trains that are suposed to be gobbled-up by the Portals almost never get totally sucked into the Portal. Do you think this could possibly be caused by being way too close to a turnout that has a signal at it?

It really buggs me to have such a tiny little flaw ruin a great game and a otherwise fantastic route. Every once in a while I'll notice my driver list is really long and when I look I see "stuck" trains and I have to open " edit trains " and delete several that are waiting because there are a few of a three passenger car train at the entrance of the portal. Good thing is that I have Portals I use to produce trains and ones to gobble them. At least we have the edit trains option avaliable to us now!!!

Thanks

Willy